Overkill Anyone? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-29-2007, 02:22 PM   #21

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Mike:
Actually I can understand the idea of having all the modern conveniences available in a nice, really scenic setting, but if one never leaves the RV the only benefit would be a really nice view out the window. However, I'm not sure that is not a considerable delight to a lot of people, me included.

For various reasons, many people are not able or attuned to the outdoors and the more rustic living so this is as close they come to God's creation without getting out of their comfort zone. I can't really fault them too much, and I may be there some day.

What I think is necessary here is not to think of the RV versus Camper as two polar opposites. I have to think of them as endpoints of a continuum and where we are depends on the situation. We treat our Burro as a motel room, a way to get to the really good stuff cheaply and comfortably, or a means to see, experience and participate in the great outdoors, or as a retreat for silence and contemplation. Whatever the situation demands, we're all over the map on this one.

At times my wife could on occasion get cabin fever if we were holed up in the trailer in a sideways rainstorm for more than a day, but I could be happy as a clam with a book if that happened. Depends on attitude. That's when comfort and complete facilities count.

On the other hand, I wouldn't want to cope with those monsters either, from a practical standpoint.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 04:06 PM   #22

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Quote:
It's just a matter of what you enjoy and value. I value efficiency. I value the clever solutions that people have for cramming as much utility into as small a space as possible. It's just not very challenging to take a 30foot box and shove stuff into it. It's hard to take a 10-13 foot space and shove that same level of utility into it.

Mike
That's a great point Mike and why we're looking at an egg after having had the big fifth wheel. We — everyone — needs to make more of less and these fibreglass trailers are a great way to do that, without giving up all the mod cons. Bigger certainly isn't better now and I'm not sure it ever was.
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 04:29 PM   #23

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Like putting 5 gallons in a 3 gallon bucket.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 11:10 PM   #24

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
It's been interesting around our house. Now we're well into converting & decorating our Scamp 5er to be "just the way we like it," we've also started playing with the idea of getting another trailer someday . . . not bigger, but smaller, like a 13' trailer.

But we also have interests at the other end of the specturm. One of the possibilities for the career feild I'm moving into is being able to do longer-term temp assignments, filling in for people out on maternity leave and such or just filling boots while employers find someone longer term. So something we may do a few years down the road is use those opportunities to explore the continent.

If we do that we may get one of those motorized monsters with slide-outs, a bedroom, kitchen, dish and clothes washer and a car pulled behind us to act as our home-away-from-home. So I can see reasons why someone would want such a beast and even why it would make sense for some people.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 05:21 AM   #25

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
They have allure for those folks who want them either for their status symbol value, or they find the techno toys that come with them irresistible. I have a friend who bought a Prevost and went through their training program (it's a week at the factory to learn how to use all of the techno-toys). They've sold it and returned to a class C (albeit on a Kodiak chassis and loaded!) Although he enjoyed the Prevost, he's not a snob in the least and the thing was too big to maneuver through the Black Hills! They can afford it, and they used it, they enjoyed it, enjoyed entertaining in it, and it was pretty cool.

I like living space, but I don't need 40'. Having had a couple of 13' trailers through a 34' Airstream and a 325 Airstream moho, I have learned what works for us and what doesn't. I don't care much for the techno stuff, and slideouts just at weight, complexity, and leak points. I am thrilled with our 25' Bigfoot as a perfect combination of living space and towability, but some folks think it's huge. The 40' diesel pusher crowd think it's cramped. To each his own!

I love those folks who are snobs though. I can almost always find something to say in reply innocently and with a pleasant smile that makes them uncomfortable enough to excuse themselves to leave.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 04:04 PM   #26

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Okay, we wouldn't "all" have one of these if we could... but some certainly would, and may not admit it here. If I had unlimited money, and the resource consumption was not so high (a conscience issue, not cost), I would have one. In fact, the same photos came to me by e-mail from a friend in the course of a discussion of interesting RV designs.

Sure, the owners of these rigs won't go "camping" with them in anything like the purest sense. None of us do with our eggs, either; we drag our (little) houses around with us! Admit it - many members here only "camp" where there is power (preferably 30 amps or higher service), and there's nothing wrong with that. It's also not some people's idea of "camping".

In the end, if you have an RV you have more than you need. It's what you want, and whatever size suits you is fine with me.

By the way, for those already overwhelmed by the thought of fueling that beast, keep in mind that it is from Europe, and thus eats much more expensive fuel...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 11:46 PM   #27

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Kristen Beck Send a message via Yahoo to Kristen Beck
I swear, some people just don't get it. The most wonderful things come in small packages. I wonder if that monster on wheels is "green", I doubt Leonardo Decaprio would approve! I loved how Bob walked away, good for you. Although I would have found a way to spike his beverage with a laxative. If you are going to act like a turd, well you get the rest!

Kris Beck
Kristen Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 06:32 AM   #28

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
I, too, come from the minimalist world. However, this thread – “Huge RV vs egg” reminds me of the constant “Harley Davidson vs the rest” discussion in the motorcycling world. The conclusion that I have come to is that it is not how you do it, it is what you do. Regardless of the vehicle, or the style of travelling, it is the fact that you are out there, doing it, seeking adventure, that is the common bond. There are occasionally people with offensive behaviour, but the large majority of people you meet on the road make the whole experience worthwhile.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:03 AM   #29

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
We stayed in a campground in Bozeman MT a few weekends ago while I attended a class... it was amazing to be surrounded by the "giants" for a couple of nights. There was a 45' diesel pusher there that had slide-outs the same size as our 13'!

What was going on definitely wasn't what you'd call "camping"... except for moments when people came out to adjust their satellite dishes we hardly saw anyone step outside.

The campground owner totally "got it" as far as the Scamp goes, however. She said, "You can go anywhere you want with that... the fellow over there spent $750,000 for his 45' motorhome can only come here or go to Walmart." We've been so conditioned by our culture to think that big = better. In this instance, I think I'd rather have my Scamp! (wish I had the left-overs from $750,000 sitting in my bank account though!)

nesting along side of the giants...
Matthew Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:48 PM   #30

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
wish I had the left-overs from $750,000 sitting in my bank account though!
Or perhaps the thing to say is "I'm glad I don't have to pay off a $750K motor home loan (mortgage?)"
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:35 AM   #31

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Well all you can do is know that we have Boler (EGG) "APPRECIATION"
And He has R.V. "DEPRECIATION" and what we do with the difference is
up to us AlfS. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote