Overnight Parking at Rest Stops - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2012, 08:42 AM   #21

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDeutsch View Post
Dave (or anyone) Where can I buy that corrugated plastic stuff?
Menards has it, it's kinda pricey
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:51 AM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
I'm really not really keen on rest area as a place to crash for the night. If they have security I would figure it's ok but as most are out of town and some are pretty isolated so I would tend to pick a truck stop over a rest area. I know at least one rest area near Novi Mich. was closed and dismantled due to criminal activity, and another on 275 N. of I94 that probably should be.

When I wake up, truck stop has better coffee too.

However I will say I have seen truck stops that I would be reluctant to sleep at. Surrounded by bars and massage parlors does not imply a good location for a safe, peaceful nights sleep.
I live near that area. I think that these rest stops were closed because there is plenty of businesses in the area (it is suburban) and the rest stops had become a gathering place for people with....ah,..... alternative life styles.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:19 AM   #23

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDeutsch View Post
Dave (or anyone) Where can I buy that corrugated plastic stuff?
My brother picked it up at Home Depot in Calgary. I think it was about $18 for a 4 x 8 sheet. They had it in translucent and white.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:44 AM   #24

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
No trucks at a rest area, no stop. Trucks, I'll slip between a couple if there's an open spot.
Since they closed one that means they'll all bad??? I don't think so. There was a problem, it was taken care of.
I think the key thing is are there people around, and does it seem resonable that those people are law abiding. I too would pull in with the trucks for a nap. But not in a desolate rest area, and have seen a lot of those too. Not all bad, just not going to assume anyplace is safe unless I can put a reason to it being safe, people, security, security cameras etc. and I trust my instincts if it don't feel "right".

Was once followed from the 23 S rest area outside of Ann Arbor, through town including some non-direct streets, all the way to the parking lot of Pittsfield Twp. police station. When I got out of the car to find out why they were following us they immediately took off with tires squealing. Don't know if it was me or if they suddenly realized it was a police station.

What I think happened is my girl friend was driving, she got out to use bathroom at rest area, I stayed in car. My hair was long enough that in a dark car I believe someone thought it was two girls. Have had a waitress (or two) make that mistake from the back and side. From the front Mustache is a dead give away.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #25

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Registry
We overnighted at a rest area in Montana on our way to Yellowstone last September. They did have signs that stated "no camping" but we stopped in the visitor center of a rest area when we first entered Montana and asked for clarification and were told it basically meant no pitching a tent, but they had no problem with anyone stopping for the night to rest.

The rest area in Duluth, MN wasn't half bad either. There was an area where cars were parked (for the night) and in the truck/travel trailer area there was one semi and us. We parked under the light and felt very safe.
Marsha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:49 PM   #26

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
I think the key thing is are there people around, and does it seem resonable that those people are law abiding. I too would pull in with the trucks for a nap. But not in a desolate rest area, and have seen a lot of those too. Not all bad, just not going to assume anyplace is safe unless I can put a reason to it being safe, people, security, security cameras etc. and I trust my instincts if it don't feel "right".

Was once followed from the 23 S rest area outside of Ann Arbor, through town including some non-direct streets, all the way to the parking lot of Pittsfield Twp. police station. When I got out of the car to find out why they were following us they immediately took off with tires squealing. Don't know if it was me or if they suddenly realized it was a police station.

What I think happened is my girl friend was driving, she got out to use bathroom at rest area, I stayed in car. My hair was long enough that in a dark car I believe someone thought it was two girls. Have had a waitress (or two) make that mistake from the back and side. From the front Mustache is a dead give away.

There always two ways to view the world and anyplace in the world.
1. Assume everyplace is not safe and look for reasons to think it might be safe.
2. Assume everyplace is safe and look around for some reason think it might not be safe.

We all know there's thousands and thousands of problems at all the rest stops through out the US. People getting robbed and killed every minute of the day and night, right?
Old 06-22-2012, 04:18 PM   #27

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsha D View Post
We overnighted at a rest area in Montana on our way to Yellowstone last September. They did have signs that stated "no camping" but we stopped in the visitor center of a rest area when we first entered Montana and asked for clarification and were told it basically meant no pitching a tent, but they had no problem with anyone stopping for the night to rest.

The rest area in Duluth, MN wasn't half bad either. There was an area where cars were parked (for the night) and in the truck/travel trailer area there was one semi and us. We parked under the light and felt very safe.
Seems to be the same in Wyoming:
"The following is a response from Ken Schultz explaining the use of rest areas for RVs. Basically it says thats it's OK to sleep in your RV. But no camping, which means no leveling jacks, popouts, chairs, etc. Here are excerpts from Mr. Schultz' letter: WYDOT recognizes that drowsy drivers are a hazard and one of the purposes of rest areas and parking areas along the road is to provide a location where the driver can attempt to alleviate the drowsiness and continue to his/her destination safely. In this interest, we do allow drivers to sleep in their vehicles, RVs included, in these areas. What WYDOT wants to avoid is having folks "set up camp" in our rest areas. When someone starts leveling their vehicle, extending the awnings and slide-outs, popping up the tent trailer or even pitching a tent, that's where we "draw the line." There are commercial campgrounds available for this. We are not in competition with these folks. As long as the vehicle is in "travel-ready" condition, i.e, you can essentially start and go, sleeping is OK. It's a fine line sometimes, but that is our attempt at differentiating between "sleeping" and "camping." We have not defined a maximum time a person may park in a rest area. 18-wheelers often spend the entire night, and we would rather have them sleep in the rest area than cause an accident by falling asleep while driving. We feel the same way about all drivers in this regard. As long as the vehicle is ready to travel, we consider that sleeping. Enforcement is a challenge, since WYDOT doesn't have forces out at all hours of every day. The Wyoming Highway Patrol helps with these situations at times, but, similarly, they are not staffed for 24/7 coverage every day. I hope this helps answer your question and assists in your effort to compile your list. Thanks for asking and have a safe journey, wherever your destination may be."
Free Campgrounds for RVs

For Utah: http://blog.rv.net/2010/08/17951/
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:31 PM   #28

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
dave---your brother's story seems truly excessive. LIVING at the flying J is not what most of us mean by "staying at a rest/truck stop". i am surprised that the police gave him 2 days to clear out--after all, he had his truck and trailer there and could theoretically been out of there within the hour.

overnighting is not camping. it's sleeping while on the road. no fires. no bbqs, and no tents/tent trailers.

we have overnighted in flying j's while travelling, in walmarts and once in a connecticutt rest stop that had security. but we wouldn't live at one.
Honestly, you'd be surprised how some people stretch the goodwill and definition of "overnighting."
A few years ago, we noticed an RV at the local Walmart in NC. Parked day after day, in the same spot, in the shade, for weeks. Power cord to the genset in the bushes.
This summer, signs are up that say "no overnighting." We pretty much know why. Even so, a truck camper and a small motorhome seemed comfy at the edges of the lot, curtains drawn.
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:48 PM   #29

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
yes, sherry, that is exactly what i have seen, too. i still remember hearing about the flying J in st. augustine (florida) where a number of RVers "lived" in their parking lot ALL winter!! and to boot, they were ugly at persons travelling who they deemed "took their spot" if by chance they arrived "home" after others had already stopped for the night!!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:00 PM   #30

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
... I also know and confirmed California allows an 8 hr stay, but doesn't enforce it to the 8 hour limit, 24 hours might cause a problem.
Florida, allows a 3 hour nap. I have no idea how it's enforced...

My recommendation...
First if you think you might want to spend a night in a rest area... Park between a couple trucks, if both of them leave you might consider leaving.
I have stayed at "rest areas" parked near the 18 wheelers. It serves a purpose when I am trying to make time and just too bleary-eyed to press on any farther, but it is not my 1st choice for an overnight stay. The truckers I have experienced parking next to idle their engines the whole time they are parked to generate the power they need for AC or other amenities the have onboard.

I can generally rest (I wouldn't call it a nap, much less sleep) for about the Florida limit... before I decide I would rather be on the road than lying there listening to the engine noise... and the whole reason to do this is for a quick refresh because I really need to be gittin' on down the road and time's a-wasting.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:09 PM   #31

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
I have stayed at "rest areas" parked near the 18 wheelers. It serves a purpose when I am trying to make time and just too bleary-eyed to press on any farther, but it is not my 1st choice for an overnight stay. The truckers I have experienced parking next to idle their engines the whole time they are parked to generate the power they need for AC or other amenities the have onboard.

I can generally rest (I wouldn't call it a nap, much less sleep) for about the Florida limit... before I decide I would rather be on the road than lying there listening to the engine noise... and the whole reason to do this is for a quick refresh because I really need to be gittin' on down the road and time's a-wasting.
It depends on the time of the year and place as to whether they idle their engines. More and more states are passing laws that limit truck idle time.
When parking in with the truck it's a good idea to park short, that is you want the back of your trailer to be not very far away from the back of the truck trailers. That way a truck coming in can see you before swinging to what appears to be an empty parking slot. This also reduces the noise from the truck next to you.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:30 PM   #32

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post

I only ever stayed overnight at a rest area once. Noise and all the trucks coming in and going out etc, I got maybe a half-hour's sleep out of the 6 hours I was there.

Pulled out, and we checked into a hotel. (we wind up doing that a lot anyway - we seem to use the trailer when we get "there" - depending on where "there" is but stay in quite a few hotels en route there and back!)

Usually we just leave the trailer at home and do the hotel thing rather than drag it all over and then not use it anyway!
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:42 PM   #33

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
I only ever stayed overnight at a rest area once. Noise and all the trucks coming in and going out etc, I got maybe a half-hour's sleep out of the 6 hours I was there.

Pulled out, and we checked into a hotel. (we wind up doing that a lot anyway - we seem to use the trailer when we get "there" - depending on where "there" is but stay in quite a few hotels en route there and back!)

Usually we just leave the trailer at home and do the hotel thing rather than drag it all over and then not use it anyway!
I guess everybody has a different outlook. I find that I have way too much trouble sleeping in strange bed, hotel/motel beds are worst. I have a tendency to toss and turn without sleeping. But, in my trailer, in a bed I sleep in over a 3rd of the year, I go right to sleep and sleep soundly. It really doesn't matter where the trailer is either.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:22 PM   #34

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:

Some states like ID and CO say no over night parking. However, enforcement is another matter.

Well, in CO they go thru the rest stops every few hours! Knocked on our door a few different times when I got to tired to keep driving......... Pull in 2 am, by 3:30 we were asked to move on........
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:00 AM   #35

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
Well, in CO they go thru the rest stops every few hours! Knocked on our door a few different times when I got to tired to keep driving......... Pull in 2 am, by 3:30 we were asked to move on........
Thanks Robin.
That's good to know.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:08 AM   #36

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
I guess everybody has a different outlook. I find that I have way too much trouble sleeping in strange bed, hotel/motel beds are worst. I have a tendency to toss and turn without sleeping. But, in my trailer, in a bed I sleep in over a 3rd of the year, I go right to sleep and sleep soundly. It really doesn't matter where the trailer is either.
In our case, the trailer beds are more of a "strange bed" than any other! My Boler is up for sale and one potential buyer asked how much we had used it. That made me stop & think - in the 15 years or so that we had it, I'm guessing that an average of 4 nights a year may be slightly on the high side.
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #37

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
There always two ways to view the world and anyplace in the world.
1. Assume everyplace is not safe and look for reasons to think it might be safe.
2. Assume everyplace is safe and look around for some reason think it might not be safe.

We all know there's thousands and thousands of problems at all the rest stops through out the US. People getting robbed and killed every minute of the day and night, right?
It's probably a just a wee tiny bit more subtle than that. As a transient I don't know the area. A lot of crime is opportunistic, I like to avoid being in a situation that looks like an opportunity.

A dark corner of an empty rest area in a remote location would not be my first choice. Or rest area right by a major urban area. Or a truck stop that looks disreputable, or a Wallymart that has heavy door security.

I trust my instincts, they always have my best interest as a goal, and are always based on something real, even if I have no clue what my brain picked up on.

As to thousands and thousands, the 2009 crime rate in US was 3466 per 100,000 or just under 3.5% I wonder how that stacks up to percentage of towed camper accidents? Yet we all consider safe towing an important consideration. Right?
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote