Overnight Parking at Rest Stops - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-20-2012, 08:59 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Kevin K's Avatar
 
Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Posts: 3,074
Registry
Overnight Parking at Rest Stops

Rest stops legal to park overnight.



Arizona
Arkansas
Connecticut
Illinois -– only on Illinois Toll Road
Indiana - only on Indiana Toll Road
Kansas
Nevada
New Mexico
New York - emergencies only
Ohio - only on Ohio Turnpike
Oklahoma
Oregon - 14-hour limit
Texas
Virginia
__________________

Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
David Tilston's Avatar
 
Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Posts: 5,849
Registry
I am not sure how legal it is in Canada, or if it changes from province to province, but it seems like a common practice. Tents at a rest stop are not uncommon.
__________________

David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:45 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 7,608
Registry
I live in Illannoy and have used the rest areas many times over many years without a single challenge, in fact it is often difficult to find a spot to park since they are commonly full by 11PM.

In Florida, we stopped at a campground which was in our guide.It had been converted to residential. We then went to a nearby rest area where the signs said "No Camping". We asked the guy in the security truck where we might find a place to stay. He said..."How about right over there under that tree next to the curb?"
I said ..."What about the sign?"
He said... "Just sleep", don't set up camp or start any fires"
I said... "Thanks"... And slept soundly, knowing the place had friendly security on duty!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:31 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,752
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I am not sure how legal it is in Canada, or if it changes from province to province, but it seems like a common practice. Tents at a rest stop are not uncommon.
You can in BC as the truckers all do it.... but as in the US there are time limits which are normally posted and as in the US you should not set up camp with your little chairs and fire going
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #5
Moderator
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Posts: 5,765
Registry
I have stopped at rest stops successfully a couple times, but to avoid the vehicular noise, I usually try to find a spot away from the highway. A local rec center parking lot, or even alongside a residential road where there is lots of room, or an approach on a rural road, are places I look for. We usually do this only when traveling until 9PMish, and leaving first thing in the morning, and have never once been bothered.

Large lots at gas stations are usually fine. I have only used them twice, and one time even asked as was told that it was no problem.

This is the advantage of having a travel trailer over a tent or tent trailer.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:21 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
David Tilston's Avatar
 
Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Posts: 5,849
Registry
My brother stayed 6 months at the Flying J truck stop with his 38' fifth wheel and a 20' semi trailer. Till he got a knock on his door at 2 am. The police gave him two days to clear out. For the last 8 months he is in a group of trees just off the 22X, still inside Calgary.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Byron Kinnaman's Avatar
 
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Posts: 7,041
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
Rest stops legal to park overnight.



Arizona
Arkansas
Connecticut
Illinois -– only on Illinois Toll Road
Indiana - only on Indiana Toll Road
Kansas
Nevada
New Mexico
New York - emergencies only
Ohio - only on Ohio Turnpike
Oklahoma
Oregon - 14-hour limit
Texas
Virginia

I'm curious about your source and if there's any thing said about the remainder of states?
__________________
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
theresa p's Avatar
 
Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
Posts: 1,495
Registry
dave---your brother's story seems truly excessive. LIVING at the flying J is not what most of us mean by "staying at a rest/truck stop". i am surprised that the police gave him 2 days to clear out--after all, he had his truck and trailer there and could theoretically been out of there within the hour.

overnighting is not camping. it's sleeping while on the road. no fires. no bbqs, and no tents/tent trailers.

we have overnighted in flying j's while travelling, in walmarts and once in a connecticutt rest stop that had security. but we wouldn't live at one.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:48 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Kevin K's Avatar
 
Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Posts: 3,074
Registry
My source Rest Stops
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
David Tilston's Avatar
 
Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Posts: 5,849
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
dave---your brother's story seems truly excessive. LIVING at the flying J is not what most of us mean by "staying at a rest/truck stop". i am surprised that the police gave him 2 days to clear out--after all, he had his truck and trailer there and could theoretically been out of there within the hour.

overnighting is not camping. it's sleeping while on the road. no fires. no bbqs, and no tents/tent trailers.

we have overnighted in flying j's while travelling, in walmarts and once in a connecticutt rest stop that had security. but we wouldn't live at one.
Yep, my brother is a bit wack. He installs elevators, so income is not the problem. His kids are all grown, he is no longer married, and he is looking to shed commitments. I guess an address is a commitment.

He is looking to sell the fifth wheel toy hauler and build an 8x8x8 cube that will fit on the back of his flat deck. He has a crane on the truck. The materials of construction are 1.5" Styrofoam covered on both sides with corrugated plastic, the stuff that election signs are made of. With an aluminum frame at all the corners.

He still comes over to my place every Friday for fire, pizza and beer.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Posts: 409
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Yep, my brother is a bit wack. He installs elevators, so income is not the problem. His kids are all grown, he is no longer married, and he is looking to shed commitments. I guess an address is a commitment.

He is looking to sell the fifth wheel toy hauler and build an 8x8x8 cube that will fit on the back of his flat deck. He has a crane on the truck. The materials of construction are 1.5" Styrofoam covered on both sides with corrugated plastic, the stuff that election signs are made of. With an aluminum frame at all the corners.

He still comes over to my place every Friday for fire, pizza and beer.

The pizza, fire and beer sounds real good.
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:48 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 325
I suspect that the list is quite incomplete. Most states seem to have a time limit on how long you can stay, usually a few hours. I think the intent is to allow a tired drivers to get a few hours sleep rather than falling asleep while driving.

But, human nature being what it is, I can see the reason that they put limits measured in hours on the sites. If they didn't they'd pretty quickly start looking like RV parks with all the toys scattered about.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:18 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Byron Kinnaman's Avatar
 
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Posts: 7,041
Registry
Thanks Kevin. I fear that site is a little out dated. I checked all the State links and found several broken. I also know and confirmed California allows an 8 hr stay, but doesn't enforce it to the 8 hour limit, 24 hours might cause a problem.
Florida, allows a 3 hour nap. I have no idea how it's enforced.
Washington, allows 8 hrs. Probably not heavily enforced.
Oregon, has changed from 14 to 12 hours. Some rest areas it's not enforced.

My recommendation...
First if you think you might want to spend a night in a rest area, check the posting in the rest area or contact the state. Park between a couple trucks, if both of them leave you might consider leaving.

Some states like ID and CO say no over night parking. However, enforcement is another matter.
__________________
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:22 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Byron Kinnaman's Avatar
 
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Posts: 7,041
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I suspect that the list is quite incomplete. Most states seem to have a time limit on how long you can stay, usually a few hours. I think the intent is to allow a tired drivers to get a few hours sleep rather than falling asleep while driving.

But, human nature being what it is, I can see the reason that they put limits measured in hours on the sites. If they didn't they'd pretty quickly start looking like RV parks with all the toys scattered about.

Ron
I think knowing what the enforcement is like is as important and anything else. There's many laws on the books that are used as an excuse to control. Example are loitering laws. If I stand a street corner and just stand there, no hassles, but if I bother people walking by the no loitering laws are enforced. Setting up tents, dragging out BBQs, etc. is simply calling attention to your actions. Sleeping is not.
__________________
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:19 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
theresa p's Avatar
 
Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
Posts: 1,495
Registry
hey dave----your brother lives a very interesting life...

that he comes faithfully each friday is great. you're lucky to have your brother that close-by. "wack" or not.

happy camping!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:10 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
David Tilston's Avatar
 
Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Posts: 5,849
Registry
Mom shows up occasionally as well. If your are in Calgary, on a Friday, stop in. We have hot dogs and marshmallows as well.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:59 PM   #17
Moderator
 
Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Posts: 3,438
I'm really not really keen on rest area as a place to crash for the night. If they have security I would figure it's ok but as most are out of town and some are pretty isolated so I would tend to pick a truck stop over a rest area. I know at least one rest area near Novi Mich. was closed and dismantled due to criminal activity, and another on 275 N. of I94 that probably should be.

When I wake up, truck stop has better coffee too.

However I will say I have seen truck stops that I would be reluctant to sleep at. Surrounded by bars and massage parlors does not imply a good location for a safe, peaceful nights sleep.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:14 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Posts: 1,485
I think it's Kansas that has specific areas for overnighting. So does the Ohio turnpike. We've used both. Also have used truck stops, a McDonald's once, casinos, Cabela's (they have a full hookup rv park at the main store), church parking , Walmarts.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:26 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Byron Kinnaman's Avatar
 
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Posts: 7,041
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
I'm really not really keen on rest area as a place to crash for the night. If they have security I would figure it's ok but as most are out of town and some are pretty isolated so I would tend to pick a truck stop over a rest area. I know at least one rest area near Novi Mich. was closed and dismantled due to criminal activity, and another on 275 N. of I94 that probably should be.

When I wake up, truck stop has better coffee too.

However I will say I have seen truck stops that I would be reluctant to sleep at. Surrounded by bars and massage parlors does not imply a good location for a safe, peaceful nights sleep.
No trucks at a rest area, no stop. Trucks, I'll slip between a couple if there's an open spot.
Since they closed one that means they'll all bad??? I don't think so. There was a problem, it was taken care of.
__________________
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:30 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
DonDeutsch's Avatar
 
Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Minnesota
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Yep, my brother is a bit wack. He installs elevators, so income is not the problem. His kids are all grown, he is no longer married, and he is looking to shed commitments. I guess an address is a commitment.

He is looking to sell the fifth wheel toy hauler and build an 8x8x8 cube that will fit on the back of his flat deck. He has a crane on the truck. The materials of construction are 1.5" Styrofoam covered on both sides with corrugated plastic, the stuff that election signs are made of. With an aluminum frame at all the corners.

He still comes over to my place every Friday for fire, pizza and beer.
Dave (or anyone) Where can I buy that corrugated plastic stuff?
__________________

DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Most Arizona Rest Stops Open on I-10 Anyway Adrian W General Chat 0 08-23-2010 06:47 PM
So What About Parking at Walmart Overnight? joy mccalla General Chat 28 02-06-2010 10:26 PM
Overnight Parking Bigfoot Mike Camping, Campout Reports 4 03-07-2009 12:00 PM
Overnight stops along the 5 Fwy Riz O Camping, Campout Reports 17 08-28-2008 02:34 PM
Rest Stops for Truck Drivers Lisa F General Chat 15 03-28-2006 04:55 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
×