Overwhelming Material - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-18-2007, 12:28 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I follow most posts on this forum all the way through.I do so because i am a moderator(no big deal)I beleive some of the real technical posts could possibly put people off from camping.I personally have not got a clue what some of these people are talking about.I still go camping and enjoy myself.I like to keep things simple and so far have not had any serious problems.Its not my intent too criticize anyone.Its my intent to let people know you can still camp and have fun without all the technical knowledge.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:36 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
Yup! Once the talk turns to amps and volts and other electrical/wiring/load stuff, my eyes glaze over and my mouse-finger starts twitching - I could probably use the info - but it's easier to call my electrician friend over to the house when I need something done

After a couple of posts, I wander over to trip reports and look at pretty pictures
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 01:17 PM   #3

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Yup! Once the talk turns to amps and volts and other electrical/wiring/load stuff, my eyes glaze over and my mouse-finger starts twitching - I could probably use the info - but it's easier to call my electrician friend over to the house when I need something done

After a couple of posts, I wander over to trip reports and look at pretty pictures
It won't scare me away, but like Anne, I don't find it very useful unless I ask for it specifically, concerning an area that I know about or am trying to understand. On the other hand, in a public forum, far more people are reading the post than just the person who asked the question, and some of those people probably do find the technicalities interesting and useful.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:35 PM   #4

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Quote:
Its my intent to let people know you can still camp and have fun without all the technical knowledge.

It's always nice to know that if anyone runs into technical difficulties, the membership here is always ready, willing, and able to share their knowledge...
BUT - hopefully we all can get out there and do some camping / relaxing / whatever it is you do when you head down the road with your glass and just simply enjoy the adventure.
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:39 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
Technical stuff could easily scare me away, but it doesn't. I know I will never understand it, and envy those who can do any and all things. I know my best bet is to ask what I think I might be able to figure out and then head for Camping world for anything that requires ANY mechanical ability.
Doing what ever needs done yourself is so much cheaper, but some of us like me just don't get it. Mechanics is not one of my talents.
I have to limp along and hope my camper is mechanically safe. If a problem should arrise, I have to pick up the phone and hollar
I know I will never cut a hole in my fiberglass

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:55 PM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
humm. It's not a very girly thing to say, but I understand most of the technical talk. I'm an engineer by proffession. I like it.

Sounds like there are several posters from various technical fields on the board. That's a big reason why it's so useful and informative. If it disappeared jin order to satisfy the short attention spans of a few, I wouldn't hang out here anymore.

I say, life's a buffet. Take what you want and leave the rest.
Laura K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:03 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi Laura
I think it is all good.I would not want it to disappear.I just hope people reading it don,t think they have to know it to go camping.All information is great and good to have available.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:25 PM   #8

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
I love when some of the folks get going in their technobabble. However, they are always good when I ask them at realizing they've lost me along the way and immediately come back down and give me more of a layman's answer.

I've gotta admit I've picked up a lot of tidbits in the high tech talk as well, so let's not reign em in. You just need to ask for the "response for dummies" when you need it.

This is a very active "let's get out camping group" and everyone I've met here seems to be out quite a bit. So lets keep camping!! See ya on the road.....
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:26 PM   #9

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Hey quit dissin us!

Some of us use our FGRV's only as a platform for our creative technical outlets.

Camping?

That's just what non-informed ignorant masses of anti-nerds do since they don't know of anything better to do.

Besides, why would anyone want to be just camping when they could be doing something intellectually invigorating such as crouching under a camper cabinet running a series of wires and pipes for some new idea in comfortable heating?
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:44 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
head for Camping world for anything that requires ANY mechanical ability.
I'll try to keep my suggestion non-technical. Find a different RV technician than $CW$ as they are priced for the BulgeMobile crowd and often haven't a clue about eggs unless it's an appliance problem.

Anne has the right idea
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:37 PM   #11

Trailer: 2003 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via AIM to Robert Brummett Send a message via MSN to Robert Brummett Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Brummett
Ha! Loren's got the wrinkle I think. For some of our techno-maven friends the eggs are mainly test-tubes for their mad scientist gene. ("It's ALIVE!") But I always seem to learn something from those threads that get dominated that way. There's room for everyone, but it's fun to twit them from time to time.
Robert Brummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:56 PM   #12

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

YUP to all. Besides, it is sooo much more fun to be under the sink bent into un-natural ways saving money doing narrow-minded, self-serving modifications... BTW, I went into the CW in Fife, WA, mentioned I had a Scamp, and got a deer-in-the headlight look. "What is that?" What a hoot... Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:52 PM   #13

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Exclamation

Quote:
I personally have not got a clue what some of these people are talking about.
You know what is scary? I DO have a clue, but only a clue to what many people are talking about. I devour every word! Then I Google the parts that I want to understand better. Pretty soon I look up and realize it's wa-a-ay past my bedtime! [b]It's like college! Cramming for the big engineering exam: Will that trailer I resurrected from death because I don't have the $bux$ to order a new one actually follow my minivan without littering the highways? Writing that term paper: Survey results and discussion on the merits of propane versus 12 volts as a power source for refrigeration. The only things missing here are graduation diplomas!
Old 09-18-2007, 11:47 PM   #14

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / Chevy Astrovan
This forum, with all its wide-ranging topics, is great! New ideas, pretty pictures, solutions to puzzles and problems (both technical and not), camping reports, jokes and friendly humor, and, and... something for everyone.
Connie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:22 AM   #15

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
I'm with Frederick; I love the technical stuff as an educational process; although I've found it to be addictive, and can lead to previously unforseen trailer modifications. But I also like pictures....
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:30 AM   #16

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
You know what is scary? I DO have a clue, but only a clue to what many people are talking about. I devour every word! Then I Google the parts that I want to understand better. Pretty soon I look up and realize it's wa-a-ay past my bedtime! [b]It's like college! Cramming for the big engineering exam: Will that trailer I resurrected from death because I don't have the $bux$ to order a new one actually follow my minivan without littering the highways? Writing that term paper: Survey results and discussion on the merits of propane versus 12 volts as a power source for refrigeration. The only things missing here are graduation diplomas!

Frederick, This is more like a lab. The important empirical result is what you get when the trailer does NOT, in fact, litter the highway after your mods!
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:20 AM   #17

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
humm. It's not a very girly thing to say, but I understand most of the technical talk. I'm an engineer by proffession. I like it.
HIGH FIVE GIRLY ENGINEER!

I have an M.E. and ended up teaching college for the last 15 years of my carrier.
I do understand how technical stuff can turn off some readers as it does some students.
You can talk technical without it coming out as gibberish I think.
Use lots of graphics if you can because a picture is worth two stones in a bush!

Ron
ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:37 PM   #18

Trailer: Boler 1984
I really don't mind reading the tekkies version of a topic. I usually learn something and realize that even at my age I still don't know it all. I just don't see the need to quote a two or three page article several times by several different individuals. That seems to draw my attention elsewhere real fast. If I want to re read the article I look for the original message and skip the quote.
I do like short messages and lots of pictures but then I like the funnies too.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:11 PM   #19

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
HIGH FIVE GIRLY ENGINEER!

I have an M.E. and ended up teaching college for the last 15 years of my carrier.

Clearly you are deeply geeky. I like that in a man.
Laura K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:24 PM   #20

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:

Ron
<sigh> ONLY an engineer would talk about someone's air conditioning company like it was their career or something!

Carrier indeed.

I'm sorry, Ron... my apologies. I really did recognize it was just a typo, but I couldn't help m'self!

Quote:
Clearly you are deeply geeky. I like that in a man. winky.gif
And... Laura K... this is a FAMILY oriented website... we'll have none of that cozy-ing up stuff here in public!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote