Palomini Fiberglass camper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-17-2015, 07:36 AM   #1

Name: Maynard and Jacquie
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Registry
Palomini Fiberglass camper

Does anyone have any knowledge, experience or information on Palomini campers? Seriously considering trading for one. Any info appreciated.
Skytalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:00 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Never heard of that brand. There is a Palomino pop-up tent trailer. Do you know when and where it was made, size, construction etc.?

Is it molded fiberglass or fiberglass sheet construction? How about a picture?

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:18 AM   #3

Tennessee
Registry
Palomino RV - Manufacturer of Quality RVs since 1968 Here is their website. I believe they are made in Wisconsin. Owned by Forest Lake.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:19 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
It's not all-molded fiberglass, so you'd be giving up its advantages: weight, maintenance, durability, and resale.

As to how it compares to other fiberglass-skinned, stick-built trailers, you might get more input on a general RV forum. We're pretty biased here... .

Bob, it is part of the Palomino line, called "PaloMini". If they have to call it "mini," in my experience it probably isn't.

I can't tell from the website whether the wall and ceiling framing is aluminum or wood, but I'm guessing the latter (or they would have been touting it). Personally, I will never own a wood-framed RV again. Any unchecked leak from a window, vent, or seam will very quickly degrade the structural integrity of a wood-framed trailer. In my mind that rather defeats the advantage of a fiberglass exterior.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:23 AM   #5

Tennessee
Registry
I am looking at the 179RDS model in particular. about same weight comparison as my Casita but more room.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:04 AM   #6

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
The stick builts generally have more room. They're also heavier per square feet and many times are less money too. It's all about what you want. Since this is a molded fiberglass forum, not a stick built/fiberglass sheeted RV forum you probably won't get a whole lot of input into what you're seeking to find out.
bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:19 AM   #7

The website cites that it is from Palomino RV, A Division of Forest River Inc,, a Berkshire Hathaway Company. This, apparently, is the same company that started out building pop-up tent trailers and is now playing on the word "Mini" for it's stick-built. I have a Palomino Pop-Up I rebuilt for my son and would call it's quality no more than average as compared to other tent trailers of the era. But, as is the case with many stick built RV's today, often only the name of the original company remains.
Palomino RV - Manufacturer of Quality RVs since 1968

I doubt if you will find much info about them on this site, but our sister group IRV2, linked at the bottom of the page, may have a few owners that can reflect on it.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:45 AM   #8

Tennessee
Registry
Thanks Bob. I love my Casita but would like a little more room. I don't have that many years left to camp so I don't need to leave anything behind for the archeologist. LOL
Thanks everyone for your input. Happy Trails to all!
Old 11-17-2015, 10:04 AM   #9

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
In that case maybe you should be looking at Olivers, Escapes, and Bigfoots. All molded fiberglass and all have some models longer than 17'. Even the 17' Bigfoot with its great width is much roomier than a Casita.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:49 AM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
They fall under "Forest River". Owner's forum: Forest River Forums - Forest River Owners Community We had an entry level Forest River, Salem travel trailer. I guess my question is how long do you need it to last. Entry level have about 5 "good" years and the Palomini would be entry level.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:29 AM   #11

Name: Bex
California
Personally, I don't like slideouts. It just seems like something that's going to break at the most inopportune moment. But it does look roomy. I met a couple at Yosemite a few weeks ago who had recently traded in their Casita for something similar. They were quite happy with it. Although, the husband was missing the Casita a little more than his wife. ;-)
rebeccasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:51 AM   #12

Tennessee
Registry
Cathy, longevity and durability is also a concern of mine. I have had our 2008 Casita for 3 years and it is as sturdy as the day I bought it. No complaints, no issues. I sure would hate to trade it for a camper that is going to fizzle in 5 years. I have been across some bumpy roads with my Casita. It has held up fine. Stick built? I suspect would not endure as well.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:13 PM   #13

We have a Coachman pop-up right now, their top line which isn't saying a lot. They are also Forest River. It is 2011 and the seams are separating on the outside and inside the trim has all came loose. The counter top got wet and being OSB, it is now swollen. Also, we have a cassette toilet which is built-in and water from that has caused the partition to swell. They had to replace the door which is still not the best and the replacement had black trim instead of white because they were no longer making it in white.

In the Salem, keeping up with maintenance, after the initial problems were solved (front window was caulked on the outside but no caulking tape on the inside and it leaked during a hurricane and the skylight over the shower wasn't properly sealed) the floor, which was plywood was separating where two pieces were joined. We sold it.

The biggest issue is that they don't make them like they used to. I worked for New Horizons, factory direct and they made a small Van Mate. I saw one advertised, a 1991 which 25 years old and it still looked solid after all of these years. They were built to last. I just see so many problems with quality control anymore across the board.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 01:28 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytalker View Post
Cathy, longevity and durability is also a concern of mine. I have had our 2008 Casita for 3 years and it is as sturdy as the day I bought it. No complaints, no issues. I sure would hate to trade it for a camper that is going to fizzle in 5 years. I have been across some bumpy roads with my Casita. It has held up fine. Stick built? I suspect would not endure as well.
I wouldn't trust a sticky even with fiberglass panels. I saw a friend with that type of construction that had on the curb side near the front blow out.
Twofootitis is curable, just keep using the 17 Casita. To me that's too big, or at least bigger than I need.
In the end it's up to you. We can all give our opinions and still you're the one that has to make the decision. There are lots of 30 to 40 year old molded fiberglass trailers out there with minimum repair required. Look at what a 10 year old stick built looks like.

Any way good luck.
AK7EE
Old 11-17-2015, 01:55 PM   #15

SW Virginia
Byron. That's sort of what I was thinking. Just look at all the members here with molded FG trailers from the '70s and even '60s. You just aren't going to see that with stickies, not even those with FG panels.
I've recently had two different Casitas from the early '90s, and with some upgrades to the waste plumbing they were essentially as good as new ones.

Walt
Old 11-17-2015, 09:51 PM   #16

"You just aren't going to see that with stickies..."

Yet, Tin can tourists and sister on the fly enjoy their vintage stickies every day
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:56 PM   #17

SW Virginia
Every day maybe, but far fewer of them.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:59 AM   #18

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Every day maybe, but far fewer of them.
...especially as a percentage of the number of units originally produced. Molded fiberglass output has always been a small fraction of sticky output.

Most sticky restorations involve substantial reconstruction of the wood framework, paneling, and cabinetry. Restoring a fiberglass trailer usually does not involve reconstructing the shell or fiberglass interior cabinetry.

Obviously there are some restoration issues common to both build types, such as floor rot and mechanical systems, and the lightweight frames of molded fiberglass trailers may be more likely to need attention.

Biggest indicator of the advantages of molded fiberglass construction, though, is not the restorations (given enough time and money you can make almost anything new again), but it's the percentage of unrestored vintage units still in regular service.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:03 AM   #19

I have always seen Tin Can Tourists as being a restoration/preservation group

Old 11-18-2015, 06:48 PM   #20

Tennessee
Registry
I think I will keep my Casita. I have been well pleased so far. Thanks for everyone's input.