Park Model = "Shanty town" - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 08:52 PM   #21

Name: RandyB
Trailer: The BIG "O"
New Hampshire
I don't know, I took BatDude at face value. From reading his post I had a clear picture in my mind of what he was inferring he was looking at, but then I've actually been in quite a few "shanty towns"

My brother has a park model, my sister has a park model, they both use theirs as vacation homes. A good friend has a park model and they use it better than half the year. Not once did I ever picture any of their trailers or their parks from what the OP said. I DEFINITELY did not picture that park Donna attached, whoa that place is nice.

I knew nice people that lived in the shanty towns I was in, but they were still shanty towns. Trailer trash is trailer trash, doesn't mean your trailer trash.

There are YouTube videos out there that will show what a retirement shanty town trailer park looks like.

Keep it all in context and chill with the flying off the handle being offended, just because someone used a word you used.

Now I'm done sinking to your level and I'm going back to being "upscale"
Old 03-18-2017, 06:08 AM   #22

Name: RandyB
Trailer: The BIG "O"
New Hampshire
Full disclosure - I did however forget the actual title of the thread and suppose that under a broad, general, blanket statement, IT can easily offend.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:16 AM   #23

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
We are supposed to refrain from political statements but some people seem to keep sliding them in...
Old 03-18-2017, 09:48 AM   #24

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
This is kind of sad. I know Bruce, have camped next to him in Death Valley. One has to remember that his or anybodies opinion is as valid as anybody else's. I noted for too long that if one person has a differing opinion than many people here they are jumped on for expressing that opinion. This is another example the pot calling the kettle black.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:57 AM   #25

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
I have been pursuing the creation of a "Casita 18"; I started a thread on this subject last January. One thing lead to another and I finally found a thread that addressed doing exactly what I want to do, slightly extending the frame on our trailer. This was a good thing as it was a better-faster-cheaper approach than what I had been considering doing. I was grateful for this forum and the responses I received.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ing-39156.html

A lot of the information I found on that thread from 2009 was posted by an inactive member, Bigfoot Mike. I found that his last activity was in 2013. I wondered who he was. Then, I recently clicked on a "sticky" concerning "Elegance of Behavior", an intriguing title for a post on a trailer forum. It turns out that this had been posted by Bigfoot Mike; the founder of this forum. Before this, I'd had no idea he was the founder, nor had I even thought to wonder how this forum came to be. I enjoyed reading what he posted.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ior-32591.html

I also appreciated Iowa Dave's post in this thread; My Dad must have said "live and let live" every day I knew him. It rubbed off. I'll not denegrate any lifestyle. I'll live my own and head on down the road looking for something I've not seen before.

I liked that too. Just like my trailer, it's all work in progress here.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:36 AM   #26

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
I can drive through miles and miles of "Shanty Towns" just about everywhere I go. Some are exclusively above 3000 square feet and very costly, but they are still jammed together in old cornfields like products on a shelf, and often the whole subdivision is the same color as the cardboard boxes which serve as housing under overpasses just a few blocks away.

I read the other day that nearly 2/3rds of the single family houses in Chicago are bungalows, most about 10ft apart and originally built as low income housing for working class families. They were once thought of as "Shanty Towns" but many of them are now being held up as historically significant and worthy of preservation by ordinance.
Go Figger!
Offense is often inferred, but seldom implied.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:40 AM   #27

Name: Jack
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17FD
Rapides Parish La.
...where I live is VERY RURAL...there are trailer parks of all types, even the best of them can be called (generously) "shanty towns"...in fact, there are many areas locally, which could only be called shanty towns and they are built houses...most of the many RV parks in this area could only be called shanty towns or gypsy camps AND not only do many friends live in such places...I could see me and DW ending our days in such...

I recently visited the escapees park at Livingston Tx, it was a gorgeous place with permanent tenants in park models, snow birds and those just passing thru...they have a whole set up for seniors unable to travel any longer...while I would call it "upscale", it is still a shanty town and I would feel blessed to end our days at this facility.

I have immense respect for Donna but, find nothing wrong with the phrase...maybe because I have friends who live in such (by my definition), have lived in such and could easily end up in one for our final days

...as always, YMMV...Happy Camping and safe(and interesting) travels..............
madjack
Old 03-18-2017, 10:48 AM   #28

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
[QUOTE=Byron Kinnaman;631708]This is kind of sad. I know Bruce,

We also know Bruce and have been in the same campground with him a couple times. He and his wife are great people. I took his initial post only as a humorous look at how some parks have the trailers packed so tight it's ridiculous, be they campers, park models or modular homes. We've been in a couple places like that, and comment how it's not for us, but apparently works for others. I did realize right away though that his comment would be taken badly and start a firestorm of negative responses.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:16 PM   #29

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
This was said: "Bruce" your initial post was prickly for me. I know without a doubt, FOUR of the most important people here on FiberglassRV own and now live in "Park models." Important doesn't have anything to do with the number of posts... in case you are wondering.

4 of the MOST IMPORTANT People? I personally think everyone on this site are on equal status with each other. What would constitute a Most Important Status?
Old 03-18-2017, 12:28 PM   #30

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
This was said: "Bruce" your initial post was prickly for me. I know without a doubt, FOUR of the most important people here on FiberglassRV own and now live in "Park models." Important doesn't have anything to do with the number of posts... in case you are wondering.

4 of the MOST IMPORTANT People? I personally think everyone on this site are on equal status with each other. What would constitute a Most Important Status?
I said that...

I'll tell you ONE. Mike (Civilguy) found Bigfoot Mike's post "Elegance of Behavior." Guess what? Mike and Lori sold their big beautiful log home and bought a park model and are now living in it. For YEARS Mike and Lori funded all the expense for FiberglassRV. Without them and without Mike's foresight, THIS forum wouldn't exist. Maybe another one would, just not THIS one.

So yeah, I CAN say there are four people who I think fall into the "most important" category. I'm not going to out the other three. But, if you're a dedicated reader and have been on the forum long enough, there's a good chance you TOO know who they are.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:37 PM   #31

Name: J.
Trailer: Casita
Florida
I'm heartbroken.... in the same thread I not only learned that I am unimportant... but alas... I am irrelevant as well.... at least per the msg. I received pertaining to a post that was deleted from here....

/ sarcasm

Gotta luv this here interwebs thingie !

)
Old 03-18-2017, 12:41 PM   #32

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.W. View Post
I'm heartbroken.... in the same thread I not only learned that I am unimportant... but alas... I am irrelevant as well.... at least per the msg. I received pertaining to a post that was deleted from here....

/ sarcasm

Gotta luv this here interwebs thingie !

)
Well that's the pits. No one is unimportant, nor irrelevant. Truly.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:47 PM   #33

J.W. and myself are most important people both on and off this site right along with all the other members.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:51 PM   #34

Name: J.
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Well my dog still likes me... a little bit at least. So that's something.

I will survive..... somehow.

)

I think their just might be a slight touch of cabin fever going around myself.

But then again, I'm not a doctor, I just played one on TV.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:28 PM   #35

Well J.W. I guess I'll be looking for you and the dog in the Shanty Town Camp Ground.
Closed Thread