Parking at Walmart - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-12-2017, 09:07 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Name: Shane
Trailer: 1998 Scamp 13
Colorado
Posts: 21
Parking at Walmart

The Walmart in Colorado Springs is now posting signs that say no Truck, RV or Trailer parking overnight. I thought they were RV friendly
__________________

iceskater10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:10 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
rbryan's Avatar
 
Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Posts: 1,300
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceskater10 View Post
I thought they were RV friendly
They generally are, but it's up to each store manager whether to allow it or not. I'm thinking they've had some problems so they stopped it. It only takes one or two people abusing the privilege, or a crime being committed, to end it for that location. There are quite a few Wal-Marts across the country that have banned overnight parking. I can think of at least two here in San Antonio where it's not allowed.
__________________

__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:42 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Posts: 1,551
Registry
Mostly a condition seen at certain stores which have experienced bad events or have determined that they have inherited a community of deadbeat "squatters" rather than "over-nighters" in transit, but sometimes they are only complying with local municipal ordinances which sometimes prohibit overnight camping outside of recognized trailer parks and such. More and more municipalities are adopting such ordinances due to problems that have arisen stemming from abuses of the system.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:25 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 7,616
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceskater10 View Post
The Walmart in Colorado Springs is now posting signs that say no Truck, RV or Trailer parking overnight. I thought they were RV friendly
While it is corporate policy to allow RVs overnight, it is sometimes local ordinance or local order from authorities which prevent this courtesy.
One other possibility is if the lot is shared with other businesses or has a clause in the covenant or lease.
My policy is to do no business in a community which enforces this prohibition. Most Walmarts are open 24 hours anyway.

I have stayed overnight at the Sebring Walmart due to arriving the night before my reservation at Highlands Hammock. I parked under the "no overnight parking" sign right next to a motorhome and a large travel trailer!
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:54 AM   #5
Moderator
 
Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Posts: 3,449
I know of at least a couple that are just off highway but not in a neighborhood where I would think it safe to camp out in a parking lot. If the overnight RV's are getting targeted for crime or are located in a place where many decide to overnight. You may have seen the rest areas that are full up at night, Typically same ones every night, same with Walmart located 12 hrs along a major route.


I will say the ones with a fountain in the rain water retention pond are 4 star accommodations, despite the no swimming or boat rental.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:27 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: Currently Shopping
NW Wisconsin
Posts: 4,044
There is a Walmart just north of us in an area with lots of lakes and is a huge vacation area .There would be numerous trailers that were parked there overnight but there were others who used the parking lot as a campgrounds . We stopped at that Walmart on a Friday morning to pickup a few things , when we headed back home on Tuesday the same trailers we saw on Friday were still parked in the same spot in the parking lot. Guess what , they no longer allow overnight parking .
This is not the fault of Walmart or the local government , it is the fault of people who abused the generosity of others in order to save a couple bucks.
We all pay the price for people's stupidity
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:33 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 9,019
Registry
Generally, upscale communities and popular tourist destinations are more likely to restrict overnight parking. It can come through local ordinances or management of the individual Walmart. Steve is correct, though- it is often a casualty of too many people abusing a privilege. We spend a lot of time in coastal SoCal where overnight parking is widely banned.

The struggle between landowners and wanderers is an old one.

You have to take it on a case-by-case basis. There are still lots more places where it is allowed than not. There's probably an app for it.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:02 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 7,616
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Generally, upscale communities and popular tourist destinations are more likely to restrict overnight parking. It can come through local ordinances or management of the individual Walmart. Steve is correct, though- it is often a casualty of too many people abusing a privilege. We spend a lot of time in coastal SoCal where overnight parking is widely banned.

The struggle between landowners and wanderers is an old one.

You have to take it on a case-by-case basis. There are still lots more places where it is allowed than not. There's probably an app for it.
Here in the U.S. it is not so widely banned.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:10 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
TomK's Avatar
 
Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Posts: 864
Walmart Over Night Parking App

Allstays "ONP Walmart" is the app we use. Reviews are included with info on where to park, local restaurants, directions, etc. and the local neighborhood conditions. Very helpful.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:17 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 9,019
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Here in the U.S. it is not so widely banned.
I think that's what I said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
...There are still lots more places where it is allowed than not...
As to coastal SoCal, I can totally understand why it became necessary. So now there are whole websites devoted to "stealth camping."

Last I checked I didn't need a passport...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:17 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 7,616
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
There is a Walmart just north of us in an area with lots of lakes and is a huge vacation area .There would be numerous trailers that were parked there overnight but there were others who used the parking lot as a campgrounds . We stopped at that Walmart on a Friday morning to pickup a few things , when we headed back home on Tuesday the same trailers we saw on Friday were still parked in the same spot in the parking lot. Guess what , they no longer allow overnight parking .
This is not the fault of Walmart or the local government , it is the fault of people who abused the generosity of others in order to save a couple bucks.
We all pay the price for people's stupidity
Good point, but actually it IS the fault of Walmart management.
Competent management, just like competent electrical work, requires skill and diligence. Banning overnight parking just to avoid enforcing the rules is incompetent and lazy on the part of management. Camping, squatting, homesteading, etc. is not the same as overnighting and those people should simply be asked to move along. Starting by showing concern and succinctly explaining the rule. Exercising good judgement is just part of good management.

We should not be a society which rewards laziness or intrusion while punishing those who would accept a simple gracious courtesy and honor its intent. ( not to mention the $50 spent at each stop!)
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:31 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 9,019
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Good point, but actually it IS the fault of Walmart management. Competent management, just like competent electrical work, requires skill and diligence. Banning overnight parking just to avoid enforcing the rules is incompetent and lazy on the part of management. Camping, squatting, homesteading, etc. is not the same as overnighting and those people should simply be asked to move along...
Floyd, I think that overlooks the reality. I question the wisdom of an unarmed store manager or low-level security guard knocking on the door of an RV to ask someone to move. There are simply too many armed, angry, psychotic, and/or strung out people out there today.

At most a security guard might leave a tactfully-worded notice of violation on the windshield or door, much as campground hosts do, and call in armed law enforcement if the request is ignored. That is common protocol in public campgrounds where identity has already been established at check-in and a fee paid. Greater caution is needed with unidentified overnighters in a free, public parking lot.

Local police are generally busy. Too many calls from the local Walmart manager, and they're going to push back. Then comes the ban.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:37 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Ed Harris's Avatar
 
Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Posts: 1,981
I think there are also 3 Hotels and a Denny's on that corner in the Springs and it is already a pretty terrible place to try to sleep in my experience!

I have tried and ended up in the Drury which is pretty nice but I have also slept well at the Home Depot down Academy a block or so in a less congested area of the Springs.

It is a slippery slope for both sides in this world.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:40 PM   #14
CPW
Senior Member
 
CPW's Avatar
 
Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Posts: 1,334
Registry
Perhaps we FGRV owners, if we are willing, should set up a registry of those of us who are not restricted by deeds, ordinances, etc. who will allow other FGRV owners to "moochdock" at our homes. I have constructed a campsite along my driveway with water and 30 amp and have had a few guests use it. Just a thought.
CPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:57 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Byron Kinnaman's Avatar
 
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Posts: 7,041
Registry
There's couple of web sites that list all available for overnight Walmarts.
Check it out. https://www.allstays.com/c/wal-mart-locations.htm
__________________
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:08 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 7,616
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I think that's what I said.



As to coastal SoCal, I can totally understand why it became necessary. So now there are whole websites devoted to "stealth camping."

Last I checked I didn't need a passport...
Not really... You said it IS widely banned in SoCal.




The passport thing must be reciproCal... Nobody needs a passport to enter California either!
Illannoy has little room to talk!
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:31 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Raspy's Avatar
 
Name: John
Trailer: Black Series HQ19
Smith Valley, Nevada
Posts: 2,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Good point, but actually it IS the fault of Walmart management.
Competent management, just like competent electrical work, requires skill and diligence. Banning overnight parking just to avoid enforcing the rules is incompetent and lazy on the part of management. Camping, squatting, homesteading, etc. is not the same as overnighting and those people should simply be asked to move along. Starting by showing concern and succinctly explaining the rule. Exercising good judgement is just part of good management.

We should not be a society which rewards laziness or intrusion while punishing those who would accept a simple gracious courtesy and honor its intent. ( not to mention the $50 spent at each stop!)
It's nice to talk about a high standard of behavior or tactics from Walmart, but they have private property that they developed for parking by customers. Store managers are not necessarily in the business of dealing with trespassers or squatters, who may have a bad attitude. I know I would not want to go out and deal with people, one by one, that had set up camp in the far corners of the parking lot. And calling police every time someone overstays brings other problems, especially if the store has a policy of allowing overnight stays. Their job is running the store and keeping it stable and profitable.

Not everyone will politely move on when being asked to, and expecting store managers to explain the rules to those trying to take advantage is unworkable and adds additional work to their regular duties.

Easiest method is to simply ban camping in the parking lot. Many of us who would like to simply stop over when tired, will lose the chance, but I can't blame Walmart. It's far simpler than keeping track of who is there and for how long and arguing with the ones who should not be there. Or calling the police over and over.

As usual, the rest of us pay the price for the worst players. If everyone was polite and considerate, there wouldn't be a problem.

As far as individual homeowners welcoming fellow travelers is concerned, look at RVillage.
__________________
I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt.
Raspy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:35 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 7,616
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
It's nice to talk about a high standard of behavior or tactics from Walmart, but they have private property that they developed for parking by customers. Store managers are not necessarily in the business of dealing with trespassers or squatters, who may have a bad attitude. I know I would not want to go out and deal with people, one by one, that had set up camp in the far corners of the parking lot. And calling police every time someone overstays brings other problems, especially if the store has a policy of allowing overnight stays. Their job is running the store and keeping it stable and profitable.

Not everyone will politely move on when being asked to, and expecting store managers to explain the rules to those trying to take advantage is unworkable and adds additional work to their regular duties.

Easiest method is to simply ban camping in the parking lot. Many of us who would like to simply stop over when tired, will lose the chance, but I can't blame Walmart. It's far simpler than keeping track of who is there and for how long and arguing with the ones who should not be there. Or calling the police over and over.

As usual, the rest of us pay the price for the worst players. If everyone was polite and considerate, there wouldn't be a problem.

As far as individual homeowners welcoming fellow travelers is concerned, look at RVillage.
Exactly... but the easy way out is seldom the best.
I'll bet you'd want me to do the easiest method if I were fixing your brakes, right?
BTW; they all ban camping in the parking lot, Its overnight parking which is allowed. Like rating and capacity, words have meaning.

A good manager doesn't have to "keep track", he would be aware of what's going on around him and when it is appropriate to act.

I can see I have lost this argument and I see it again every time I seek quality help with anything. Second rate seems to be the highest standard anymore and Walmart may well be the best proof of that.

Pretty soon, you'll call to see your doctor and actually get a Nurse practitioner. Usually good enough... If he's not just seeking the easiest way to quitting time.
If so, it won't really matter if the hinges fall off your casket or if they bury it 5-1/2 feet under!
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:41 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Glenn Baglo's Avatar
 
Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Posts: 6,937
Why does any Walmart or Walmart manager have to put up with people seeking free overnight camping? Are you entitled somehow?
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:54 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Name: K C
Trailer: 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
Posts: 2,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceskater10 View Post
The Walmart in Colorado Springs is now posting signs that say no Truck, RV or Trailer parking overnight. I thought they were RV friendly
Seems like quite a few people in this forum do not understand the Walmart parking situation, a situation which also controls places such as Cabelas from not allowing overnight parking at some locations.

The majority of the time that a Walmart does not allow overnight sleeping in cars or RVs it is not about what the store manager does or does not want. The actual cause of their not allowing overnight stays is because the city/county/township/etc has banned it as a whole for all locations both on commercial lots and also on the streets.

Many towns up and down the Pacific coast line have ordinances prohibiting RVs and other types of wide vehicles from overnight parking in various areas of town. Colorado also has a fair number of towns with those ordinances. For instance Loveland, Colorado has pretty strict ordinances and the only place an RV can be parked on the streets overnight is immediately adjacent to a motel/hotel.
__________________

k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LA parking or RV park, or hotel with good parking 55goddess General Chat 8 12-29-2015 02:05 PM
So What About Parking at Walmart Overnight? joy mccalla General Chat 28 02-06-2010 10:26 PM
Canada's Yukon Walmart welcomes RVers Legacy Posts Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Archive) 1 12-13-2002 01:12 PM
Walmart Camping General Chat 0 01-01-1970 12:00 AM
Parking 101 General Chat 0 01-01-1970 12:00 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
×