Parkliner ice box - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2013, 03:33 PM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Pennsylvania
Parkliner ice box

I'm posting this question to the forum because I get no response from those at Park liner. Some of you have chosen the icebox over the refrigerator. I'm wondering how the ice box is insulated and is there any possibility of retrofitting additional insulation? Is the ice storage in the icebox above the food storage area? How big is the food storage area(volume)?

Thanks in advance for any information you can share
Steve
starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #2

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Here's are 2 threads to get you started, I am sure other's with more knowledge will be along shortly.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ype-53656.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...dge-51532.html
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:57 PM   #3

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Ask Thom and Cari, they went with the icebox... I have the fridge in mine. If your going to have propane why not go with a fridge?

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:39 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbrightsteve View Post
I'm posting this question to the forum because I get no response from those at Park liner. Some of you have chosen the icebox over the refrigerator. I'm wondering how the ice box is insulated and is there any possibility of retrofitting additional insulation? Is the ice storage in the icebox above the food storage area? How big is the food storage area(volume)?

Thanks in advance for any information you can share
Steve
One thing nice about choosing the Icebox over the fridge is that it requires no holes in the side of the trailer.
If you ever want a fridge you could then install a Danfoss type fridge and have the convenience and function of a fridge which works efficiently on 12V.
The Icebox is high density styrofoam. Additional insulation would likely be a bit difficult since it would be built-in and not a retrofit.
Iceboxes generally have a top shelf for the ice, with a drain, which drains to the outside of the trailer. If you make your own block ice in a deep freeze you might have ice for as long as a week, in reasonably temperate weather.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:49 PM   #5

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

Greetings Steve.
Cari and i are quite pleased with the Parkliner's stock ice-box for the type of adventuring we do (basically 5 days between re-stocks/laundry/town runs).

The ice box (I.B.) can be retrofitted with more insulation and i did so on ours. Below are some images of when i took the IB out:

First off... when/if you order it? You might ask Chandler if they usually finish off _both_ sides of the frame cut out with wood backing. Our #35 had wood holding the IB's screws only on the left side as you look at the IB as shown in this image i took after taking out the IB:

That said, i took the IB out initially because i wanted to see if there was a fix for the slow-draining i was witnessing out of the sink. Secondly i planed (and did) insulate the IB with as many layers of reflectix bubble foil i could. You can see the top of the IB in this image:

Please also note that the above image shows my moving/mod (_link to post of mod_) of the hepvO sink drain. There is little room for much more on the sides than two 1/4" layers of reflectix. I did insulate the outside wall with four layers as there was plenty of room, and three layers on bottom & top. I thought it was nice that the IB drained into the weep area in the galley area-wall and then drained to the ground in the weep holes. Simple and effective.

We will have our third _official_ test of the IB on a 5 day adventure next week in an area calling for daytime temps near 80. We will again place a block of ice in the upper ice-block-storage area ~3 days before leaving ($1.5 here on the coast at this time), and ~20lbs of ice in the ENGLE Deep Blue cooler. Then on the morning we leave i will fill the area up with some ice leftover from the ~20lbs i top off the ENGLE on the way out of town. This routine has kept both the ENGLE cooler and the Parkliner IB at sub 40 degrees all the way into town on day 5 afternoon (or home to the coast on day 5). We typically will keep veggies in the IB and a few bottles of water/drink up above around the ice. We put frozen items in the ENGLE in the van.

How much _room_ inside?
Below the ice tray there is a about 7"h to 8"h x 11"d x 15"w
Above the ice-in-tray typically about 5"h to 6"h (same d x w).

For us, the simplicity of utilizing ice our two adventure rigs (Van Conversion + Parkliner) works out fine during our 5 day trips. IF we were doing this full time? I might put enough solar on the roof(s) to power a larger battery bank(s) and have a compressor style fridge in each unit. But for now? We are happy with the IB/Cooler in both.

OH, and if you are in a bartering/begging mood You might ask Chandler to swap out the stock-miss-matched wood door cover ...

Stock:

And after my mod of swapping with a nice white cover from the local lumber yard/home-depot/lowes like i did:

Looks soooo much nicer in there! Took all of ~$10 in wood and ~10 minutes of time?

OH, and as Floyd stated above... there are no _holes_ in the side with the Ice Box!

Sooo clean on the outside:

I think i covered all your Q's... if not ask away!

Cheers,
Thom

PS... added an attachment showing the interior of our IB taken for this post.
Attached Thumbnails
TCL_PL035iceBoxInterior.jpg  
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:10 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Question Posting #4 - What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
One thing nice about choosing the Icebox over the fridge is that it requires no holes in the side of the trailer.
If you ever want a fridge you could then install a Danfoss type fridge and have the convenience and function of a fridge which works efficiently on 12V.
The Icebox is high density styrofoam. Additional insulation would likely be a bit difficult since it would be built-in and not a retrofit.
Iceboxes generally have a top shelf for the ice, with a drain, which drains to the outside of the trailer. If you make your own block ice in a deep freeze you might have ice for as long as a week, in reasonably temperate weather.

You said:

"One thing nice about choosing the Icebox over the fridge is that it requires no holes in the side of the trailer."

and

"Iceboxes generally have a top shelf for the ice, with a drain, which drains to the outside of the trailer."

How do you get the drain to the outside without a hole?

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #7

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post

How do you get the drain to the outside without a hole?
I don't know how the other manufacturers do it...but in our PL#35 there is a ~1/2" OD vinyl drain tube from the bottom of the ice tray, through the bottom of ice box that drains into the "Weep" area built into the perimeter of the Parkliner. In the image below (before i put the Ice Box back in) you can see an area below the wood _floor_. This is the weep area i mentioned. In the PL it has holes to the outside on the bottom edge that water/condensation can drain out of. This is where the melted ice water goes in our PL.

So no visible holes, unless you are down-under cleaning the frame : )
All these holes also have nylon window screen for bug-free exits.

Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner