Passing behemoth Class A Motor Homes - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2015, 09:45 PM   #21

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathi View Post
You have had so many trailers and MHs and I think once you have more space, it becomes difficult to go to something small. We have only had small. People are used to what they are used to!
Actually, for the past several years in addition to the Bigfoot 25 i've also kept a 16' to 19' trailer as well; each for different purposes and I used them both regularly. I sold both trailers this summer after I bought the Born Free, but I also have a 19' class B moho... again for different purposes than the 32'.
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 10:43 PM   #22

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger H View Post
Actually, for the past several years in addition to the Bigfoot 25 i've also kept a 16' to 19' trailer as well; each for different purposes and I used them both regularly. I sold both trailers this summer after I bought the Born Free, but I also have a 19' class B moho... again for different purposes than the 32'.
I did know that quite a few people have very large units that they spend most of their time in, and they keep a smaller one for running around on short trips. You have had a collection!
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:09 AM   #23

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasitaRick View Post
I used to drive an Escape as a company vehicle before I retired, and it handled kind of squirrelly. The short wheelbase, coupled with the front wheel drive, made for some exciting Texas driving. No way would I ever use one as a tow vehicle.
I tow a Scamp13 with a 2008 Escape,(103"wb) very stable and a perfect companion for my trailer. With or without the trailer the car is quiet, comfortable, stable and economical at highway speeds. The new Escape with 106" wheelbase is hardly short for a passenger car. A Crown Victoria is just under 115" (about the same as my regular cab shortbox Ranger).
The short overhang on the Escape helps to make it great for towing a small trailer with a short "wheelbase" like the Scamp13.
If you are used to a car with a dead center, responsive steering can seem a little squirrelly at first.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 05:08 PM   #24

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
We tow a Scamp13 with a 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L Ecoboost FWD and have found it very stable.
In addition, we usually get 22-23 mpg towing at 60 mph and 32-34 mph on the highway
without the trailer.

Since the Escape is also my "every day driver" and the large majority of its miles are non-towing,
the solo city/highway economy was a somewhat important consideration in selecting and
purchasing the Escape.

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:15 PM   #25

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Ford Escape

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdickens View Post
We tow a Scamp13 with a 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L Ecoboost FWD and have found it very stable.
In addition, we usually get 22-23 mpg towing at 60 mph and 32-34 mph on the highway
without the trailer.

Since the Escape is also my "every day driver" and the large majority of its miles are non-towing,
the solo city/highway economy was a somewhat important consideration in selecting and
purchasing the Escape.

Ray

: ray we bought the 2012 model, 4cyl tows 1500#'s easily but the book says cannot tow more than that because of the CVT automatic Transmission I hauled several barrels of auto parts out to Spokane from Vancouver, BC without a problem weight was 1450#'s plus the trailer and camp gear in back as we slept in the back of the escape, a bit tight but only for one night.
Only good thing about your Escape is you can't burn that different gas, we cannot burn that stuff only regular gas. But way better than the old Stude I drove it had a hard time on ethanol gas and after 4 or 5 tanks I would have to put in top of the line gas or find a 76 station in the US or the odd Chevron in Canada did not put Ethanol in. We like our Escape also because it is the old style and not the newer version as u lose space in back with the sloping roof line.
Also the rear window opens up and we can pack lumber in side up to 12' easily for small jobs and I throw on 4x8 sheets of plywood onroof and tie it down. If to much I take trailer in with me and load the heck out of it to the 1500# max.
Never had problems with it on hwy, nor in city runs just fine.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:06 AM   #26

Missouri
With the Factory tow package, the Ford-supplied documentation says that the 2.0L Ecoboost
Escape is rated for 3500 lbs tow and 350 lbs tongue weight.

With 270 lb-ft of torque at 3000 rpm (and 240 hp at slightly higher rpm), the 2.0L Ecoboost
Escape has always had power to spare for all kinds of terrain and wind conditions. With the
Scamp13 in tow, we went up and over Donner Pass with the cruise control set on 60 mph.
The mpg dropped while going up the mountain, but recovered to the 22-23 mpg range going
down on the other side.

Ray

Old 11-16-2015, 11:34 AM   #27

British Columbia
2Lescape allowed towable weights of more than non.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdickens View Post
With the Factory tow package, the Ford-supplied documentation says that the 2.0L Ecoboost
Escape is rated for 3500 lbs tow and 350 lbs tongue weight.

With 270 lb-ft of torque at 3000 rpm (and 240 hp at slightly higher rpm), the 2.0L Ecoboost
Escape has always had power to spare for all kinds of terrain and wind conditions. With the
Scamp13 in tow, we went up and over Donner Pass with the cruise control set on 60 mph.
The mpg dropped while going up the mountain, but recovered to the 22-23 mpg range going
down on the other side.

Ray

;Ray here is what the dealer reference books says about the 2012 Ford Escape 2wd with powertrain of 2.5L with automatic can tow Maximum Trailer weight of 1500# or 680Kg all due to the CVTransmission as these trannies are not made for more weight and up until a cple of years ago they were towing them behind MH's and blowing the trannies and they are not not allowed to use them for Tow'ds. To bad the dealer or Manufacturer did not look into the average weight of canned Ham or FG trailers right from the start. The 2.5L is also allowed 800#'s inside the Escape so remove 400#'s for driver and passenger that leaves another 400#'s for cargo. Now if the sales person we dealt with had of been more honest then I myself would not of bought this vehicle.
So as of now I'm looking around for a Dodge Pick up with a 225 slant 6 with Automatic or a 1967 to 1979 Ford Pickup with the inline 6 and automatic but all have to come with PS and PB, AC would be a plus for the times one can use it in AZ, Utah, Nevada, CA, NM, down south etc.
Stude
Old 11-16-2015, 12:38 PM   #28

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Simple answer ya'all are driving too fast.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:58 PM   #29

British Columbia
who's driving to fast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Simple answer ya'all are driving too fast.
: I don't think so, I drive 55 to 59 mph in 70mph zones to save on fuel consumption and it works by doing just that.
U should sit out side my house which is across the street from a school and see how many drivers today do not slow down for the 30 kmph speed? not many do they all just cannot wait to get wherever they are going. If the speed is 50kmh they do 80kmh or faster and if it says 100kmh they all do 130kmh or more, why are these people not getting tickets???????????
Stude
Old 11-16-2015, 04:57 PM   #30

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
: I don't think so, I drive 55 to 59 mph in 70mph zones to save on fuel consumption and it works by doing just that.
U should sit out side my house which is across the street from a school and see how many drivers today do not slow down for the 30 kmph speed? not many do they all just cannot wait to get wherever they are going. If the speed is 50kmh they do 80kmh or faster and if it says 100kmh they all do 130kmh or more, why are these people not getting tickets???????????
Stude

Your however are towing at right speed. 70mph is beyond the maximum speed rating for trailer tires. Driving 70mph+ is asking for blowout.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:04 AM   #31

Missouri
I have the 2.0L Ecoboost engine with the tow package in our Escape;
not the 2.5L engine.

Ford Escape Towing Guide
https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/...cape_Sep30.pdf

Stout EcoBoost I-4 Plays Well Above Weight Class
http://wardsauto.com/vehicles-amp-technology/stout-ecoboost-i-4-plays-well-above-weight-class

Along with safety, reliability, and handling, I've come to believe that
looking at the engine torque output at towing rpm is perhaps one of
the most significant statistics to look at in selecting a tow vehicle.
Diesels and turbocharged engines shine in the high-torque@low-rpm
department. (The Ford Ecoboost 2.0L is a turbo engine.)

It is torque that moves an FGRV rig at a steady pace down the highway,
up a grade, and/or into a headwind. Horsepower is what accelerates an
FGRV rig on a highway on-ramp or accelerates for passing another vehicle
on a 2-lane highway.

Towing - horsepower versus torque
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/towing/towing-capacity/information/horsepower-versus-torque1.htm 

Much of this was reviewed in an earlier thread:
Towing a 16' Scamp with small diesel
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...sel-68781.html

Ray