Passport or New Driver license? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-18-2021, 04:21 PM   #1

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Passport or New Driver license?

To travel into Canada do we need a passport or will the new style driver's license work?
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 04:45 PM   #2
GOB

Name: Michael
Trailer: Scamp 19
Missouri
Passport or new DL?

Pretty sure you will need a Passport. We did when we went to Alaska a few years back.
GOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 04:51 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
Get a Passport. Too many benefits over even an "Enhanced" Drivers License (if those even still exist).
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 04:56 PM   #4

Name: Rory
Trailer: In the market"
California
Either a traditional Passport or a US Passport card. With the passport Card you can go by land or sea to Canada but not by air.
Both take about the same time to get. Pass-Card is a bit cheaper and looks like a driver's license.
The new Real I.D won't work.
Rory B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 05:48 PM   #5

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgilliam1955 View Post
To travel into Canada do we need a passport or will the new style driver's license work?
You need a passport. The Border Patrol people like it when you have it ready for them. With all the fake stuff today they want a passport. It is also good to have it in case of future needs. If you were to lose your driver's license at least you would have some proper ID. We even carry our passports in the US when we travel just in case.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 06:08 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I travel around Canada daily without a passport, but always take one for entering the US. Once in I keep it hidden away.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 07:04 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
There are also counterfeit passports.
Old 12-18-2021, 07:43 PM   #8

Registry
I have deleted a couple posts. Please stay on topic and keep anything political out of this.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-18-2021, 07:59 PM   #9

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
In Virgina you must prove you are a citizen to get that special Drivers License with the Star on it. Me, I used my Passport.

Note about US Passports: They contain a chip so any place that is capeable of reading that chip will know it is fake.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 05:38 AM   #10
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
In Derby Line, Vermont the border runs through the town library. The fire trucks are across the border in Stanstead, Quebec and crews come from both sides. Nobody worried about passports. 9-11 made things very complicated.

When I wanted to travel to Canada I had three choices. An enhanced drivers license was available because Vermont was a border state. There also was a passport card, good for Canada, and Mexico, and a standard US passport. I went with the card as that was the cheapest. I have used it many times and never had a problem. My current drivers license required lots of documentation to get including proof of citizenship. I think it is required to get on a plane but I don't believe it will get me into Canada.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 07:44 AM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
My current drivers license required lots of documentation to get including proof of citizenship. I think it is required to get on a plane but I don't believe it will get me into Canada.
That is the question here, and I'm hearing different answers. I did a quick Google search, and it looks like the Real ID enhanced driver's license is only accepted in place of a passport or passport card if it was issued by Washington, Michigan, New York, or Vermont. All others will need a passport or passport card. The latter is a lot cheaper, but it's only good for land and sea travel to Canada, Mexico, and some Caribbean islands.

They have postponed the Real ID requirement for domestic flights several times due to the difficulty of getting the upgrade during the pandemic. It is currently scheduled to take effect on May 3, 2023. You already need a full passport for all international flights.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 08:24 AM   #12

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim View Post
I would not accept a document that can be used by people who break the law.
Convicted felons can get a drivers license it's not really a problem with undocumented immigrants like you imply.
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 08:26 AM   #13

Name: Cynthia
Trailer: Casita 17LD
Montana
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Cynthia in Montana
Passport or new DL

Husband just returned from November hunt in Saskatchewan. Not only did he need his Passport, he needed his Vac card to drive across northern border. Home to Montana only asked for Passport. He needed his Vac card to get into restaurants everywhere across Sask. He had to wear a mask until seated in the restaurant.
Cynthia in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 08:36 AM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia in Montana View Post
He needed his Vac card to get into restaurants everywhere across Sask. He had to wear a mask until seated in the restaurant.
Is this not a safety standard everywhere right now? I know it is in AB and BC and other Canadian provinces. Around the world some too.
Old 12-19-2021, 08:50 AM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Is this not a safety standard everywhere right now? I know it is in AB and BC and other Canadian provinces. Around the world some too.
For better or worse, no. Proof of vaccination requirements in the US vary widely by state and even city. Not trying to start a debate about the politics or science of the matter, just stating how it is. It's important information for anyone intending to travel.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 08:55 AM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
For better or worse, no. Proof of vaccination requirements in the US vary widely by state and even city. Not trying to start a debate about the politics or science of the matter, just stating how it is. It's important information for anyone intending to travel.
Thanks for the info, Jon. Up here it is mostly a provincial decision, with the federal government controlling border stuff.
Old 12-19-2021, 10:03 AM   #17

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I would definitely get the "real" thing - the passport. Why bother with those "in between" documents?
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 10:26 AM   #18
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
I would definitely get the "real" thing - the passport. Why bother with those "in between" documents?
Because the only place I wanted go was Canada. Can't take the dog to Europe.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 10:49 AM   #19

Name: John
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
Ohio
We renewed our passports this year, it took a long time. The government is going to institute a new system next year that will make it an online process. Just be aware if you don’t have one and/or renewing build in a few months or more to get it.
I got both the conventional and card.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 10:55 AM   #20

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
My son goes into BC all the time (girl friend is up there) with his Washington Enhanced ID issued by the DOL. No passport is required if traveling by vehicle, bus, train, or pedestrian. I think it may be required for flying.

The hardest part right now is getting the COVID test within 72 hours and getting the test results back before he reaches the border.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license