Passport or New Driver license? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-19-2021, 11:04 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fish View Post
My son goes into BC all the time (girl friend is up there) with his Washington Enhanced ID issued by the DOL. No passport is required if traveling by vehicle, bus, train, or pedestrian. I think it may be required for flying.

The hardest part right now is getting the COVID test within 72 hours and getting the test results back before he reaches the border.
This is also true for Enhanced Driver's License issued by New York State. I have used mine driving in & out of Canada. As he noted, a passport is necessary to fly.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 11:26 AM   #22

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
I would definitely get the "real" thing - the passport. Why bother with those "in between" documents?
A Passport Card and the Enhanced Drivers License are real things approved by federal Homeland Security. https://www.dhs.gov/enhanced-drivers...-what-are-they
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 03:23 PM   #23

Name: Denise
Trailer: Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Latest info from Canadian gov’t

Like elsewhere, border restrictions are changing rapidly again, as a result of Omicron. This may be helpful wrt vaccination status and testing required to cross the border into Canada.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...s/wizard-start
Old 12-19-2021, 10:14 PM   #24

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Half-way good documents

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmm View Post
A Passport Card and the Enhanced Drivers License are real things approved by federal Homeland Security. https://www.dhs.gov/enhanced-drivers...-what-are-they
Those things are real, but they are no good, except in a small part of the world. All you get is another piece of plastic (or paper) that you better keep track of carefully, or you could have a mess on your hands if you lose it.

A somewhat related experience: I was flying home from Costa Rica not long ago, and all they wanted to see was my mug (without the silly mask, of course), thanks to face recognition technology. My passport was not checked at all, although we walked through as a family and my wife and grand-kids were ahead of me and their doc's were looked at already, so the name was already on the agent's screen. And a lot more than just the name, I bet.
Paul O. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 11:02 AM   #25

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Passport card renewal

I renewed my passport this year. It took 18 weeks to receive it. When I got the packet put together to send at the county recorders office the lady told me 12 to 18 weeks. And probably closer to 18. And she was exactly right. I tried to check in the progress status on line but was unsuccessful. Didn’t matter, didn’t go to Canada anyway. Hopefully next year. Just noting that it takes time so procrastinating isn’t a good idea. I have the card, Rita has the book.
Also if you’re taking your dog into Canada have a copy of the rabies certificate along and just hand it to the border guard with your passport. When he looks at it and says “ are you worried about biting someone? And there’s the slightest hint of a smile, you know you have a good person to deal with. And when he says “I like your trailer, do you think it would make a good rig for hunting in the bush? You have a good person too.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 08:32 PM   #26

Name: Rufus
Trailer: Surfside TM14
Illinois
Passports cost noticeably more than fancy DL. The DL, at least in California, needs a bigger documentation package, so is actually more work on my end. But if the DL does what you need, it could be a good choice.

I applied for the passport, both book and card. Rather not do this again down the road. Gave them more $$$ to "expedite". See how that works...

Rufus
rlaggren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 11:17 AM   #27

Name: Gary
Trailer: Alto by Safari Condo
Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
We renewed our passports this year, it took a long time. The government is going to institute a new system next year that will make it an online process. Just be aware if you don’t have one and/or renewing build in a few months or more to get it.
I got both the conventional and card.

We renewed our US Passports online 2 or 3 years ago.
GaryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 11:53 AM   #28
dch

Name: Brian
Trailer: 16' Scamp
Minnesota
I’m in Minnesota, and the enhanced driver’s license is available here too, as we’re a border state. We haven’t taken our Scamp into Canada since Covid hit, but hopefully one day!
dch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 01:03 PM   #29

Name: Babs
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Canada

You need a real passport. You also need Covid vaccinations proof and an approved negative Covid test. Go to the website for Arrive Canada and get the app. Stuff has to be submitted to them ahead of your arrival at the border.
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan.html
Rockytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 01:09 PM   #30

Tennessee
We went to Canada in September, which was before Omicron so I don’t know what May have changed, but pre-submitting documentation the rough the Arrive Canada App was mandatory. After all was submitted, they sent us an approval code then they verified our documents at the border. We arranged our pre-arrival Covid test at a hospital in Dickinson, North Dakota, which gave us the results the same day. People in Canada were much stricter about masks than in the U.S.
Old 12-25-2021, 02:39 PM   #31

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
[QUOTE=Raz;831758]In Derby Line, Vermont the border runs through the town library. The fire trucks are across the border in Stanstead, Quebec and crews come from both sides. Nobody worried about passports. 9-11 made things very complicated.

My wife's mother was from Stanstead PQ and yes 911 sure changed things. Merry Christmas!
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 04:41 PM   #32

Name: Tom
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
This is also true for Enhanced Driver's License issued by New York State. I have used mine driving in & out of Canada. As he noted, a passport is necessary to fly.
BC is going away from the the Enhanced driver`s license . I do have one now but when its time to renew the BC government will not issue them anymore. So all you can use will e a passport .
caderider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 07:24 PM   #33

Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by caderider1 View Post
BC is going away from the the Enhanced driver`s license . I do have one now but when its time to renew the BC government will not issue them anymore. So all you can use will e a passport .
It cost motor vehicles extra money and time to do the Enhanced Drivers License. They have to run additional background checks, plus the extra time to do those checks. BC probably doesn't feel it worth the headache for the few they issue.
Old 12-25-2021, 08:39 PM   #34

Name: Alan
Trailer: Escape 21C
Massachusetts
You must check with customs. Requirements change by the day. Here is a link to Canadian immigration & customs requirements https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...arrivecan.html Deals primarily with COVID requirements but I'm sure you can find answers to questions about acceptable forms of ID on the site. You should do the same check with U.S. immigration & customs for your return.

I can tell you anything. It's the border guard who will tell you if you can cross the border or not.
Fun Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 09:16 PM   #35

Tennessee
Also, think about what you now need to get back into the US, and that will be at least a passport. Be very careful about what you bring back into the US, particularly agricultural products, so look at the US Border Control and Customs website so you can prepare. While we have never had a problem going into Canada, our camper has been searched by US agents 2 of the 3 times we re-entered the United States.
And, do check Arrive Canada for current procedures. There are different rules for flying in versus driving in.
Old 12-26-2021, 09:50 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockytop View Post
Also, think about what you now need to get back into the US, and that will be at least a passport. .
Or a passport card, and for us the live in those states or provinces which issue them, a enhanced drivers license, which is considered by US Department of Homeland Security to be a alternative to a passport.

https://www.dhs.gov/western-hemisphe...vel-initiative
Old 01-28-2022, 08:39 AM   #37

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
As of Jan 22 2022 must show proof of vaccination at US border when entering
Masks off going into US, Masks on coming into Canada.
Arrivecan mandatory. including a quarantine plan. if Canadian you may be denied entry if positive for Covid when returning home
at Sault MI.- LSSU does a test and gives paperwork for border crossing 15 minutes later.
the appt. must be pre-booked, cost is $70.US ea.

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 09:34 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by caderider1 View Post
https://globalnews.ca/news/7585720/p...anced-licence/

The last paragraph in the linked article is of particular interest: "In addition to B.C., the EDL program was offered in Ontario, Quebec and Manitoba. Ontario began winding down its program in July 2019, Quebec retired its program in 2014 and Manitoba has recently announced it will be winding down its program in 2022." But this does not mean that Canada will not recognize valid optional travel document.
Old 01-28-2022, 12:54 PM   #39

Name: Rufus
Trailer: Surfside TM14
Illinois
Update on U.S. passport application.

I paid to "expedite" when I applied 12-9 and received the card and passport book within three weeks, before the new year. So something is actually working in our gov. <g>

The post office where I applied (and also the gov websites) were warning of 18 week turnaround. I have no idea how long "regular" application would actually have taken, but it _might_ have been significantly faster than officially estimated. IAC, I view the extra $60 fee as easily worth the peace of mind, at least in this case. YMMV.

Cheers,
Rufus
rlaggren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 07:10 AM   #40

Tennessee
Entering Canada

Now you must use the Arrive Canada App and pre-submit your info before arriving at the border. It will tell you everything you need to know, and it is updated as regulations and requirements change.

Tags
license