pay showers! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2012, 01:41 AM   #21

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Beats showering in the "broom closet".
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:02 AM   #22

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft
The first thing I do when using the bathroom facilities is check out the showers to see if quarters are needed. Don't mind paying, but it is annoying to see a bunch of teenage girls hogging the sinks (using hairdryers, chitchatting, applying makeup, etc.). I try to use the shower early to avoid this.
Patty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:49 AM   #23

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi B. View Post
Hey, when you camp in a portapotti.... A broom closet is plenty of room for a shower!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #24

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Masse View Post
They charge .50 cents to use the shower. Has anyone else run into this? They are right on Hwy 2. Non campers were using the facility.
I think that's your answer. The 1st rule of business is to recover your costs.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #25

Registry
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi B. View Post
Thankfully the Fiber Stream's shower is plenty roomy.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:49 AM   #26

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
**Hey, when you camp in a portapotti.... **

Floyd, I HOPE you are not campin *IN* a portapotti!

In my truck i keep a small bottle from vitamins or such and just chuck my loose quarters in there... ALWAYS have a ton. (Also a steady supply between camping trips for McDonalds Sweet Tea.... YUM!)
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:02 PM   #27

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weinel, Alan View Post
In my truck i keep a small bottle from vitamins or such and just chuck my loose quarters in there... ALWAYS have a ton.
Good idea. When on long vacation trips, we pack only enough clothes for a portion, and keep laundry soap and quarters in the trailer. I like your pill-bottle approach.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:05 PM   #28

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weinel, Alan View Post
**Hey, when you camp in a portapotti.... **

Floyd, I HOPE you are not campin *IN* a portapotti!
Not really, but I'm not showering in a broom closet either!

I remember the first time I saw a 13ft Scamp type trailer.
It was 95 degrees outside and the thing had been closed up for days in the sun. We went aboard to check it out and I told my wife...
"This thing is like a cross between an Airstream and a porta-potty!"
We passed it up, and that mistake haunted me for years until I found my 1973 LoveBug Shown below after much work.
We eventually sold the LoveBug in favor of our Scamp 13. We did so in large part to get a broomclo...Uh... shower and flush toilet.
We have used the shower about 600 times now and are still well satisfied with the choice.
Attached Thumbnails
06_30_0.JPEG   WB40023.jpg  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #29

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
I can say though that our Scamp has a better "toilet" then that thing I lived out in North Dakota. In order to get enough water in the bowl to get enough pressure to get it down the pooh pipe you had to stand up bend over the toilet (you know what that means) to pull the lever or sit on the toilet and wait till you felt the water getting close. Not to mention the shower was like standing in a large dishpan.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #30

Trailer: Casita
Registry
This was a private camp. They started doing it because of AT'ers & X country cyclers abusing it.
I dug up enough quarters with my metal detector to more than cover all the showers!
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #31

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
The campground I wintered at had tokens for showers. Free for paid campers, but you have to go ask for them, about 6 at a time (when full timing). The campground is on a private well in a very dry desert climate. The short nature of those showers, with no way to pause the timing even with the water turned off encouraged me to get my shower set up in the Scamp. When you have to pour your shower out when your done, (plastic tub, no drain) it's amazing how little water you can get by with. And not being able to completely stand up straight certainly doesn't lead to long lingering wash ups.

I'd actually prefer to pay a small amount if I get steady hot water and a clean facility. I've paid $15 or so for a shower at a truck stop. But with those you get plenty of time, clean towels, private bathroom with soaps and stuff. Some are like nice little hotel bathrooms.
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #32

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Masse View Post
This was a private camp. They started doing it because of AT'ers & X country cyclers abusing it.
I dug up enough quarters with my metal detector to more than cover all the showers!
The showers at Lake Arbutus Park in Jackson County Wisconsin are pay showers also and for the same reason . The ATVers made cleaning the showers a full time job and expensive for the county to maintain
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:10 PM   #33

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
I have seen pay showers in California parks. Luckily, none in RV parks.

And when I check into a RV Park, one of the first things I do is scope out the bathrooms and showers. I just want to know what is available and not be surprised.

Early into my search for a Fiberglass Trailer, several people suggested that I would not need to buy a trailer with a shower. But, I have come to prefer using my very own shower - even with a full hook up. Reason: it is in my trailer, I do not have to pack up my toilet articles and put on clothes to walk/drive to the shower area. I keep my shower clean, I don't have to worry about foot infections. I am use to the lay out of the bathroom, so it is more efficient for me to stay in my cabin. I can get ready for the day in peace. Marine baths (even small Bigfoot ones) are good . As long as the water heater works, life is good.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:32 AM   #34

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
well, as a trucker,,, i always got free showers with a fillup at the truck stop, or could pay two bucks for a shower, but that comes with a nice clean towel too so...
i like the idea of a pay shower for those not camping, recently i camped for a week dry on the black river working with the dnr, michigan state, and sturgeon for tommorrow guarding the spawning run. was very pleased to give a couple bucks a day to a nearby camp ground for a nice shower.

as to saving water, the last campground we went to had pushbutton showers that shut off after so many seconds, you got wet, soaped up, hit the button again to rinse off. worked real fine and no cold water warning which would have been a bummer.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:37 AM   #35

Michigan
ohhh cool idea we came up with for toting your shower stuff.

old lunch boxes. keep watch for one you like at yard sales and flea markets for the old ones. doesn't matter if the thermos is missing.

mines a hop-a-long cassidy. fits all my toiletries and i think gives showering a little extra fun.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:38 AM   #36

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryNPaul View Post
For home, check water bug.
We've run across pay showers in many places. Notably, (and memorably) a state park in VT, where the coin op didn't work when I was undressed and ready. Not a "happy camper."
Personally, I think pay showers will become the norm, as water becomes more scarce.
Sherry
hey,,,for 25 cents i'll throw buckets of water on you,,,just trying to be helpfull you understand.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:47 PM   #37

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I was recently at Green Pont camp ground in the Pacific Rim park on Vancouver Island. Nice place, almost magical in a way.

I don't mind pay showers, but they did not have any showers. We had to pack the seven of us up and head down to Wya Point Surfshop, about 20km down the way to Ucluelet. The cold shower was free, you only pay for the hot water.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:52 PM   #38

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I was recently at Green Pont camp ground in the Pacific Rim park on Vancouver Island. Nice place, almost magical in a way.

I don't mind pay showers, but they did not have any showers. We had to pack the seven of us up and head down to Wya Point Surfshop, about 20km down the way to Ucluelet.
Welcome to Super Natural British Columbia! Camping with power and showers is considered a luxury and not real camping
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:15 AM   #39

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Real camping smells bad.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:02 AM   #40

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Real camping smells bad.
LOL yup it does thats why you need to carry a solar shower bag or have a shower in your trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote