Personal Safety of Trailer vs. Motorhome - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 05:35 PM   #21

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
: Smith and wessy are always not handy when you really need it, then what do u do?
Stude
Well, if you really need it and don't have it with you, you'll never need it again.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:52 PM   #22

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Absolutely agree with the dog idea and the vehicle key fob (these super new gadgets!) --

Good ideas--good topic for being aware--and glad none of the scenarios here went further than they did!
Old 06-16-2017, 06:14 PM   #23

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Panhandlers trade on fear and uncertainty. You have to take charge of the situation. If you're not prepared to do that, perhaps a campground might be better.

I have found a friendly, firm "I'm sorry, but I hope you understand that I simply don't give out cash" is best. I have never been threatened, but I have heard a few muttered cuss words. I am not hard-hearted and have been known to give out a sandwich or bottle of water occasionally, but the vast majority are just looking for cash and quickly move on to look for a softer target.

I used to do much what others describe- either lie and say I have no cash or toss out a buck to get rid of them, but it just didn't feel right to me.

Winslow Walmart is particularly bad in part because it is a popular stop for overnighters. There were a half dozen parked there Wednesday morning when I stopped for a couple of items.

A motorhome does allow you to drive off without exiting your vehicle. With a trailer you have to practice situational awareness- check your surroundings before exiting the camper. My mother frequently travels alone, and for her a Class C, and now a Class B, is the better choice for a number of reasons, security among them. Depreciation is very high on motorhomes, so buying used (with a thorough mechanical inspection, of course) makes a lot of sense if you decide to go that way.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:22 PM   #24

Name: Diane
Trailer: 2015 Lil Snoozy
Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Panhandlers trade on fear and uncertainty. You have to take charge of the situation. If you're not prepared to do that, perhaps a campground might be better.

I have found a friendly, firm "I'm sorry, but I hope you understand that I simply don't give out cash" is best. I have never been threatened, but I have heard a few muttered cuss words. I am not hard-hearted and have been known to give out a sandwich or bottle of water occasionally, but the vast majority are just looking for cash and quickly move on to look for a softer target.

I used to do much what others describe- either lie and say I have no cash or toss out a buck to get rid of them, but it just didn't feel right to me.

Winslow Walmart is particularly bad in part because it is a popular stop for overnighters. There were a half dozen parked there Wednesday morning when I stopped for a couple of items.

A motorhome does allow you to drive off without exiting your vehicle. With a trailer you have to practice situational awareness- check your surroundings before exiting the camper. My mother frequently travels alone, and for her a Class C, and now a Class B, is the better choice for a number of reasons, security among them. Depreciation is very high on motorhomes, so buying used (with a thorough mechanical inspection, of course) makes a lot of sense if you decide to go that way.
Thanks, Jon. I lived and worked in NYC for many years and have no problem telling someone to, "get lost"! However, without a crowd on the street and the current environment of drugs and related crime, just being aware of my surroundings would probably not ease my paranoia. I'm with your mom...B seems the way to go.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:53 PM   #25

Name: Daniel
Trailer: 1994 Casita 16 Liberty
Washington
Camping safety

Camping doesn't seem the same as it did years ago. Campers can become afraid camping. We need to clean up our environment so we can live without fear in our country.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:34 PM   #26

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Enjoy, when the perp slams the door on you and your can of bear spray.
:Glenn good answer as we in Canada cannot carry hand guns unless way up north where they do get permits to carry in case they meet that big bruin of a Moose which are way worse than a Grizzly. I never carried any of those items but I always kept a few cans of Wasp Spray around and I can shoot that up to 25' away and it always works great on the eyes or the wasp. Drop and stop you in your tracks.
Stude
Old 06-16-2017, 10:08 PM   #27
tua

Name: Traveler
Trailer: Happier Camper
Utah
!

I just watched this video a few weeks ago where a guy was sitting inside his motorized RV and all of a sudden the back of the RV was moving. He went outside with his bat and saw someone on the roof trying to steal the solar panel!

Not sure one could just get into the drivers seat and drive off with someone on the roof. "On" the house probably doesn't equate to "in" the house for purposes of justifiable harm to another human being if they are trying to harm.

Key fobs, cell phone, OnStar, Alarms, bats, dogs, guns, traveling in a pack are all great deterrents.

Most people asking for spare change are harmless. They wouldn't knock at your door at 5:30 AM though.

It's the fraction that are addicted to drugs/alcohol who no longer have a moral compass. They will stop at nothing to take something from you. They will continue to steal from you as you are yelling at them. They will break into your TT as you sleep, through windows and doors. Nothing stops them, not even cameras or alarms. Even the police are cautious when confronting them. And as someone pointed out, they go where there are lots of targets.

Oh and by the way, this doesn't just happen to people in TT's. They also break into apartments and homes while people are away or at home sleeping. (Oh the stories I could tell!)

This is a different world we live in and you need to be aware and don't get into a situation, if possible. If you don't travel in a pack, scope out your neighbor boondockers and then meet them for safety purposes if they look OK, (if they don't then get the heck outta dodge!) Be aware of your surroundings.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:39 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Thirteen minutes, thirty-one seconds video.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:41 AM   #29

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Never pull a gun unless your goin to use it...You may be squeemish about killing but the intruder may not be....and if you use it you may end up in a cell about the same size as the camper your in now.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:15 AM   #30

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Beginners often ask if camping is safe. It is by all measures.

We're completing our 17th year, happily 1/3rd of our married life, traveling 7 months a year. We have never once have been approached for money or anything else while in our camper. Our travel rules are simple, stop early and spend the night in a campground.

We don't park at Walmarts or other like places, though we tried it once. We have stayed at some tough looking RV parks over the years but again were always treated like friends.

I don't have any statistics but I suspect you're safer in your trailer than walking down many city streets.

We have stayed in Winslow, AZ a number of times, a jumping off point to one of our favorite places, the Chiricahua Mountains. Nothing but good experiences.

Part of our approach to life is to stay away from danger times and places. We don't drive late at night, people out then can be a problem, The other day a man in NYC was riding his bike at 1AM and was knocked out by a passerby. He's still in a coma. I've always told our children that people on the roads or out simply out then are statistically dangerous.

We stop soon enough to camp where there are other campers. My life is not going to turn on camping fees. We camp a lot where we are the only person in the campground but being in a campground adds a measure of security if you need it.

By the way we don't carry guns though I have nothing against them and own guns. We're frequently in Canada and would not want to make a mistake and carry one into Canada.

We're in Newfoundland now and provincial parks are $15 USD a night with electricity, a really good deal.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-17-2017, 06:42 AM   #31

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Pretty much the same as Norm and Ginny.

Never had a good nights sleep at a WM so we avoid them if possible. From what we've seen many easy access free overnight spots attract more then their share of undesirables. I'd rather pay $30 to feel safe and sleep well.

Homilovi State Park is just outside Winslow.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:38 AM   #32

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Norm and Ginny nailed it. The key is to avoid situations where there could be a problem.

If you're going to overnight in a Wal-Mart parking lot in a busy or frequented area instead of a campground, then you can reasonably expect there will be tradeoffs for having saved a few bucks - like a bum banging on your door at 5 am.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:39 AM   #33

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I live in a big city and encounter panhandlers nearly every day. Life would be very difficult if I felt like I needed to kill them every time.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:42 AM   #34

Name: Diane
Trailer: 2015 Lil Snoozy
Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
I live in a big city and encounter panhandlers nearly every day. Life would be very difficult if I felt like I needed to kill them every time.
Wish we had a "LIKE" button!
Old 06-17-2017, 07:46 AM   #35

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAG View Post
Camping doesn't seem the same as it did years ago. Campers can become afraid camping. We need to clean up our environment so we can live without fear in our country.
Violent crime has been trending steadily downwards. It's way safer now than it ever was.

I travel and camp alone quite a lot as well as going on all-day solo hikes, and I often get asked whether I feel unsafe. For women, statistically speaking, their number one danger scenario is their intimate partners and male family members, so by that measure women are probably safer ditching everybody they know and heading out camping alone.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:48 AM   #36

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We have stayed in Winslow, AZ a number of times, a jumping off point to one of our favorite places, the Chiricahua Mountains. Nothing but good experiences.
Norm, you may be thinking of Willcox, not Winslow. Winslow is on I-40 near the Painted Desert in northern Arizona. Willcox is in southeastern Arizona.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:10 AM   #37

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Our trailer new cost us $20 K and even if it was $120 K it's still not enough money for me to take a life. We've been hassled when camping far more by drunks than panhandlers .
The only Smith & Wesson we own are cough drops and cooking oil !
Old 06-17-2017, 10:54 AM   #38

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Norm, you may be thinking of Willcox, not Winslow. Winslow is on I-40 near the Painted Desert in northern Arizona. Willcox is in southeastern Arizona.
Yes I do get the two confused. It seems Wilcox. I have been to both and will be out there on my way to a wedding this winter.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-17-2017, 11:07 AM   #39

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
If you think somebody asking for money is a hassle, shoot. You'll find out what a real hassle is.
Maybe in British Columbia. Not so much in Florida.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:29 AM   #40

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Some trust inanimate objects like Smith and Wesson.
Some trust government to protect them....
I trust the Holy Spirit to guide my decisions on where to stop overnight and on whether to give charity. He has never steered me wrong, being smarter and a better friend than any useful inanimate object.
Guns don't make men anymore than wrenches make mechanics.
Proverbs 3:5-6
Closed Thread