Personal Safety of Trailer vs. Motorhome - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 11:28 AM   #1

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
Personal Safety of Trailer vs. Motorhome

Over the years, we have had campers from most categories from tents to Class As. I have always had this little thing in the back of my head about being in a situation where I would need to be able to jump in the driver's seat and take off. Chances of it happening are very slim, but we had a similar situation in a Walmart parking lot while pulling a trailer in Winslow, Az. We had arrived after midnight and did not unhook, etc. At 5:30 am, there was a banging on the door. I just assumed it was security telling us we could not stay in their lot and to move on. Stupid me opened the door and it was a drunk that wanted money and was a pain in rear to get rid of. We packed up and moved on down the road a a few miles to a McDonalds. Wife went in to purchase breakfast so I left the door open to enjoy the early morning air, etc. While she was gone, I was messing around inside the trailer and heard a noise. Looked up and another younger man was coming into the trailer and also looking for a handout. Fortunately, he left without much bother. Felt we were lucky in both instances that it was not someone really looking for trouble. Not a fond memory of Winslow.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:58 PM   #2

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
We now have two friends that travel with us. They go by the names of Smith and Wesson! Good at making friends...
Old 06-15-2017, 04:04 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Sometimes it works to have a few dollars in your pocket, hand it to them saying this is all I have on me, and hope they just go away. We too have been asked for money in a store parking lot and that worked for us. Never pull out a wallet for money. I don't always have my little friend on me, so this is another option. The wallet that I do carry on me never has much cash in it, no credit cards or others, just an expired drivers license to ID me if I pass out. Think I'll take that out and put my name in it's place.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:32 AM   #4

Name: Joseph
Trailer: In the market
Arizona
Unwelcome 'guests'

I've RVed for 40 years... Today<?> the lifestyle has changed. I live hip-close to Phoenix. AZ

All kinds of folks now seek opportunities to ask for money. Anytime you stop...fuel, groceries, highway rest stops... your RV attracts unwanted attention.

The scams are creative. A woman drove up in a car... needed money, son wasn't answering cellphone, just paid to get car fixed. (by being in a car, they can cruise Walmart, Gas Stations, Cracker Barrel... beg for money... and drive away before you can call the cops to catch them. Cute trick.

Keep sharing your stories... it keeps the rest of us educated against the bad guys.

~joseph
Old 06-16-2017, 09:33 AM   #5

Name: Tom
Trailer: Outfitter truck campper
Colorado
Good question! I'll be interested in responses. I've not had any incidences but have wondered what I'd do if I ever got hassled in this way, or worse, someone actually tries to gain entry. I have a gun but haven't ever taken it with me. Just can't see myself getting in a gun fight or shooting someone over being hassled. Seems like that would just be asking for trouble.

There was an article in the paper just this morning as to whether our (Colorado) "make my day law" extends to a detached garage. The way the law is written I think it just refers to an intruder in your house. But, several years back I remember asking a cop friend of mine if the law would apply if a person was out camping and in a tent. His response was that "at that time, a tent could be construed as your "house" and so the law should apply. I would assume that would also be true for a camper, but I don't know that the law has ever been tested in this way...yet.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:35 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
If you think somebody asking for money is a hassle, shoot. You'll find out what a real hassle is.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:02 AM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
State laws vary, but here is you ONLY pulled a gun on someone begging for money or generally hassling you (without posing a threat of death or serious bodily injury), YOU would end up in jail. I don't think Tom meant the statement the way it reads. At least I hope not.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:22 AM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
If you think somebody asking for money is a hassle, shoot. You'll find out what a real hassle is.
Glenn,

Yes indeed. Well said.

Anyone who thinks they can, or should, get out their "two friends" (Smith & Wesson) to discourage a drunk or some teen panhandler is seriously delusional.

You'd better be licensed to carry, aware of the realities involved and be in real danger of serious bodily harm from a credible threat, or inside your home, before you pull it out.

If you ever have to save yourself or your family, do it, of course. But it's not a joke.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:47 AM   #9

Name: Tom
Trailer: Outfitter truck campper
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
State laws vary, but here is you ONLY pulled a gun on someone begging for money or generally hassling you (without posing a threat of death or serious bodily injury), YOU would end up in jail. I don't think Tom meant the statement the way it reads. At least I hope not.
I think you mean to say "Dick or dmad1" - not "Tom". I didn't make the statement about shooting nor would I. Just clarifying...
Old 06-16-2017, 11:00 AM   #10

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandCallie View Post
I think you mean to say "Dick or dmad1" - not "Tom". I didn't make the statement about shooting nor would I. Just clarifying...
I was referring to this statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandCallie View Post
... but have wondered what I'd do if I ever got hassled in this way, or worse, someone actually tries to gain entry. I have a gun but haven't ever taken it with me. Just can't see myself getting in a gun fight or shooting someone over being hassled. Seems like that would just be asking for trouble. ....
You made it sound like you might very well pull a gun or shoot someone over being hassled if you did bring your gun along, and that is not the meaning that I think you meant to convey.

Just clarifying.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:35 AM   #11

Name: Marcia
Trailer: '00 Burro 17' WB
Seattle, WA
I often travel alone but have never had a problem....a large barking dog helps a lot!

Try setting a large dog bowl and a leash outside, even if there is no dog just to give the appearance of one...add a Doberman or German Shepherd decal to your trailer door. Might make someone think twice.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:55 AM   #12

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Motorhomes are more safe in that way, but it's just one of those things everyone has to decide for themselves. How much are you willing to let "worst case scenario" rule your decisions.

It's nice to have a motorhome and be able to jump in the driver seat and leave. But is that enough reason to go that route? For me it would have to be a bunch of factors contributing to the decision.

The gun-carrying thing is a very, very complicated and contentious issue that I'm not going to touch
Old 06-16-2017, 11:56 AM   #13

Best idea I've seen here is to use your vehicle key fob to set off the Panic alarm in the tow.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:07 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Motorhomes are more safe in that way, but it's just one of those things everyone has to decide for themselves. How much are you willing to let "worst case scenario" rule your decisions.

It's nice to have a motorhome and be able to jump in the driver seat and leave. But is that enough reason to go that route? For me it would have to be a bunch of factors contributing to the decision.

The gun-carrying thing is a very, very complicated and contentious issue that I'm not going to touch
I don't think its often quite as easy as getting into the drivers seat and taking off. Many motor homes are connected to electricity, water and sewer. So you have to go outside and disconnect all that stuff to leave.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:54 PM   #15

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I don't think its often quite as easy as getting into the drivers seat and taking off. Many motor homes are connected to electricity, water and sewer. So you have to go outside and disconnect all that stuff to leave.
If you have the time to go properly disconnect, it's not an emergency. If it is an emergency, those don't matter.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:58 PM   #16

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
^ Correct.

And it's probably more often going to be something that happens in a parking lot or other "unofficial" camping spot where you aren't hooked up.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:07 PM   #17

Trailer: Casita Freedom Deluxe
non deadly response

I carry bear spray and pepper spray which is very effective on human intruders.
Walt
MACE would also work although I have never used it.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:10 PM   #18

Name: Diane
Trailer: 2015 Lil Snoozy
Delaware
I've been following this thread and have been pondering the subject for a long time. I had my heart set on buying a Lil Snoozy for about a year. Went down to the factory and loved the little camper. Then...I started thinking or over-thinking the safety issue. I'd be traveling solo most of the time and, if needed, would want to make a quick escape. So....this weekend I'm going to see some B van conversions. Quadruple the price!!!! I wonder if my goofy, big dogs would protect me from panhandlers? At least, they would scare the pants off of them!
Old 06-16-2017, 05:18 PM   #19

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmad1 View Post
We now have two friends that travel with us. They go by the names of Smith and Wesson! Good at making friends...
: Smith and wessy are always not handy when you really need it, then what do u do?
Stude
Old 06-16-2017, 05:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
I carry bear spray and pepper spray which is very effective on human intruders.
Walt
MACE would also work although I have never used it.
Enjoy, when the perp slams the door on you and your can of bear spray.
Closed Thread