Picking up new to me 13 Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-01-2010, 09:33 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 13 ft Scamp
Sometime this week I will be picking up my 2008 scamp 13. The current owner will
give men a run thru on everything.He also has the factory supplied CD.
I have ZERO experience with any type of travel trailer
Since I will stop overnight on the way back in Hot Springs AR I have been told I need to have an elec heater in case I run out of propane. I am sooo very excited!!-I have been reading the forum for several weeks and the info posted is great. Any and all suggestions welcome-I am not even sure what I need to take with me for the return trip. Also--do I need a sway bar for a 13 ft. and has anyone figured out a way to keep the inside lights from being seen outside? I am a solo female and really want to travel safely.
Elizabeth and dog Riley
Elizabeth TXorMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:41 PM   #2

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul / 02 Mazda pick up
We do not need a sway bar with our 13' uhaul, except with an occasional rattle in the hitch, we hardly know it is back there.

I presume you have the right kind of electrical plug installed on the tow vehicle. And also that the tow vehicle is robust enough to pull and stop the load.

Good luck with your new toy.
Bud Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:09 AM   #3

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Congrats! You will love it!

Ok, for what you wanna take with you (I will let the tool people suggest what tools to take) As for the other stuff, if your new trailer has a heater you could also just stop and top off the propane tanks. Bedding, probably for this trip a sleeping bag and pillow will be enough. Does your trailer have a bathroom? If so, a roll of toilet paper and a roll of paper towels.

Sauce pan, and hot chocolate or coffee, tea what ever makes you happy. It's nice to wake up and be able to make yourself a cup of Joe.
Gallon of water for coffee
Flashlight
Air freshner, I know that is a weird thing to take along, but we needed it when we picked up ours, sat in storage too long.
Clorox Cleanups, for a quick clean up of things.
A Propane Detector such as this one, Propane Detector You can find them at Walmart, but be sure to buy for propane not co2 detectors.

Thats all I can think of besides your personal stuff you want for an overnighter, clothes, towel, etc.

As for us when we drove to Vegas to pick up ours, I took our rv tv and cable cause I knew we would stay in a campgound on our way home.

If you have a bathroom and plan to use it, I suggest useing Calgon Bath salts in your toilet versus toilet chemicals. (I have uesd it for years and never had a problem, plus it's a water softner so it breaks down solids and paper) A cup or two in your toilet before use and then again after dumping. Will keep your black tank from smelling.

As for sway bar, I don't know what your pulling it with. So maybe, maybe not! Actually I don't think you can go wrong with a sway bar. But that might have to wait till you get it all put together.

Have a wonderful time on you pick up journey! Be careful, be safe but most of all Enjoy! Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:23 AM   #4

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Bud brought up a fact that is true but can be a bad thing, when he said that you hardly know it's there. That statement is a good thing/bad thing cause yes even with our 17ft there are many times I forget it's back there cause it's such an easy pull, but let me tell you the first few times you are pulling you will look in the rear view mirror and think Who the heck is following me so close, Ah Duh it's the trailer! LOL. But truly its not funny, we always have to be aware that we are pulling. So be very careful especially your first few times. With my full size Chevy I had to be very careful not to be complacent when pulling the Casita cause the truck was more than capable of pulling a Casita or two. It was like pulling a Radio Flyer wagon. With my new truck I am more aware of the Casita back there but still an easy tow.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:12 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Congratulations Elizabeth! You're about to embark on some great experiences.

Ask the seller what the hitch height is for the trailer. The Scamp website says approx. 18", but you want to be sure. Then set the hitch ball mount on your tug to the same height (or a tiny bit lower). Does the trailer have brakes? If so, you'll need a controller.

I don't know how far you need to tow to get home. Perhaps for this first trip you want to consider the trailer nothing more than a hard-sided tent and only need those items for simple tent camping. Food and typical tent camping essentials such as paper plates and plastic utensils. It may be easier for you to fix a sandwich than worry about a propane stove and pots and pans. I agree about a sleeping bag and pillow. Much easier and faster than sheets, blankets, etc. You can worry about outfitting the trailer with all your creature comforts and additional necessities when you get home.

But don't forget a journal and camera! Start documenting your experiences and taking pictures from the very beginning.

If you're going to stay in a park with hookups, a cube heater is a simple plug and play. No worrying about running out of propane. (I find the furnace fan to be very noisy).

The discussion about "I don't know it's back there" is valid. Remember when making turns, the trailer doesn't track directly behind the tug, but will cut corners short and you may find yourself bouncing the trailer over curbs. If possible you may want to go to a large parking lot and take a few trips around to see what the trailer does when you're turning the wheel on the tug.

I remember vividly towing my trailer home from the seller's place. I think I burned a years worth of adrenalin in the first 20 miles... sweaty palms and all. But the sense of pride and wonderment at my abilities made it all worth while!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:16 PM   #6

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
One thing to keep in mind is that there is a lot of bouncing inside the trailer when it's being pulled, so make sure that things inside it are secure. You probably won't have anything on the walls yet but we always remove the fire extinguisher, clock, etc. and store them in the closet before we travel. We also bungee the closet doors to make they don't bounce open & lose their contents. Better safe than sorry! Make sure the smoke alarm battery is good too.

Have fun!!

Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:38 PM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
That trailer will tow like a dream but make one quick maneuver dodging a deer or something and you will wish that sway bar was back there then (at about $40 it's cheap insurance)....all the other times you don't need it.
I am towing a 16'casita with a large four door pickup and i use one but not a WDH for that size.
Others have different opinions but this is just mine
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:53 PM   #8

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Sandra mentioned bouncing. Some people leave the table up while driving. We do not. The Scamp dealership recommended putting it down while traveling. I often wonder if leaving it up could be what contributes to some of the back window area leaking issue. Seems like there would be a lot of stress on the hardware if one doesn't put the table down.

Good luck, keep your speed down and check tire pressure.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:03 PM   #9

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
You might want to double check on the sway bar - I feel like I remember reading that you are not actually supposed to use one on a 13 (but this is out of my realm of experience, so do check beyond my vague recollection).

As far as blocking out light from windows, the typical fabric store will have what they call "black out fabric." It looks kind of like typical cream-colored fabric, but has a special construction that makes it block out light.

I often travel alone myself, and while I don't let that stop me, I am observant, and I do take a few precautions. If I'm just pulling over along the way (rest area; WalMart, etc.), I'll make sure to have stopped earlier for anything I want to go inside for (bathroom, supplies, walk dog, etc.). That way I make a minimum of fuss and show when I do stop for the night. I also carry a spotlight for if I need it to shine on something or someone (it's pretty blinding).

We had quite a long thread on solo traveling within the past year, which should make a good read if you search it out.

Fun times ahead!

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:42 PM   #10

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Depending on your tow rig, you may want to bring a set of extention mirrors. Knowing when your trailer has passed another car or is making it around a corner will be easier if you can see the full lenghth of your trailer. Like Donna said, be sure to have your hitch set at the right heighth. I have know people who towed with the trailer at the wrong angle and swore that they would never tow again. Once your trailer is hooked up be sure to step back and look to see if it is sitting pretty level and that your tow vehicle is level. Be sure to check the tire pressure on the trailer and check the running lights before you get on the road.
Linda R002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:26 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool

Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_2974__Medium_.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	25768

Everyone says it will tow like it's not back there. This is true, but it is back there, so keep your speed down. I am always amazed at the people who pass me towing bulge trailers, but even a small trailer can take control of your tug pretty quickly and high speed only aggravates the problem. I recall seeing a small flat bed trailer pushing a Chevy van sideways down Hwy 18 at the Green River bridge.

I like to tow about 50 but will do the 60 truck limit. Just remember that you are responsible for your rig, only go the speed you feel comfortable at, avoid quick maneuvers and you should be fine. Things happen slower at slower speeds.

You could bring along some short lengths of 2 X 4 to place under the stablizing and tongue jacks. A cross bar wheel lug wrench is good so you have the correct size wrench if needed. Take a camera. There is only one first time and you will want to document the experience. I agree with the electric heater idea. That is all we use and it is really simple and cheap to use.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.j...kid=body_rv_img

BTW, you may have to make arrangements for towing legally in your state, like a short term towing permit, insurance, etc.

Congratulations, you are entering a new phase of life. What fun!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:50 PM   #12

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Everyone says it will tow like it's not back there. This is true, but it is back there, so keep your speed down. I am always amazed at the people who pass me towing bulge trailers, but even a small trailer can take control of your tug pretty quickly and high speed only aggravates the problem. I like to tow about 50 but will do the 60 truck limit. Just remember that you are responsible for your rig and only go the speed you feel comfortable at and avoid quick maneuvers and you should be fine. Things happen slower at slower speeds. Congratulations, you are entering a new phase of life.

All things said above are Very good advise and would be hard for me to add anything to. I will add this my DD lives in Little Rock,Ar. I talked to her this afternoon and she told me that it was in the mid 30's there(4PM) and they had some snow fluries this morning.The weather for the week is to be in the 30's durring the day and in the teens to 20's at night. You should plan to stay in a park with hook ups so you will have heat or stop at a hotel/motel. Since I don't know what highway you will be taking it is hard for me to suggest places to stay. IF you are comming into Texas on I 30 toward Houston then I would suggest Degray State Park. All Ar state parks(that I have been in) have clean warm restrooms,lots of hot water,well guarded,Degray is a very larger one and is open all year.

Hope this helps and have a good Safe trip.......Lynn
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:32 AM   #13

Trailer: 2008 13 ft Scamp
SNOW SNOW GO AWAY !!!! It is snowing--like 6 inches where I am supposed to be headed to get my baby. Now, we have severe weather warning in TX. So-- maybe next week. I want to thank everyone for replying. I feel like I have Scamp friends already . I can hardly wait to meet up ! I am reading all the forums and WOW tons of info. I had been researching for a while when I finally decided to go for it. My new baby is a 2008 13 deluxe. I have a list of stuff to take with me and to outfit the trailer when I get home. Thanks again to everyone for the help and for making me feel a part of the group.
Elizabeth
Elizabeth TXorMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:13 AM   #14

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
We have a 2007 13' deluxe. You're going to love it. If you have any questions, feel free to let me know!

Tags
scamp