Pickleball - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2017, 01:24 PM   #21
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Just clicked on that link you posted. Nope it was in our local paper last month that those places don't allow Pickleball anymore and the closest now is Clemson which is an hour away. We're fine bowling with our friends!
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 05:59 PM   #22

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Looks like a cross between tennis and pingpong to me. How do the court dimensions compare to a tennis court?

If the ball must bounce on the serve before it can be returned, service that bounces within a foot or so of the back line must be tough to return......?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:16 PM   #23

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Hi Mike, a little like ping pong and a little like tennis. It's a game just about any one can play. Today a man older than me appeared with two hefty knee braces using a cane. I watched him a a credible game. He had trouble getting some shits but returned a fair number. Definitely not possible in Tennis.

The Court is 20 x 44 and that's for doubles and singles. I would guess a p-ball court is less than half the area of a doubles tennis court. By the way a tennis court can be marked with a piece of chalk to create a Pickleball court.

Tennis, particularly men's tennis, becoming the case with women's and to some extent ping pong are dominated by the serve. Not the case here.

The receiving team starts at the back line by choice not rule. Rather quickly it moves forward though good lobs are very effective. Even with average players there are good, never touch the court volleys, with all players separated by 15 feet.

It's a good game, most people can play the 11 points without exhaustion building a good little sweat and raising their heart rate. In the situation here there are about 40 players and 3 courts. Typically you play one, sometimes two games an hour, usually with different partners usually chosen at random. By the way there are as many women as men.

Tornament play is different, you enter with a partner and always play together. In the tournament I played, it was a round robin play down, my partner was a woman, a good player, and we won. The park was in AZ. I tried to convince Ginny to buy an RV lot in that park. I would play every morning until noon.

One nice aspect is Therevs always room to carry a racket in our little rigs, golf clubs are another matter.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:33 PM   #24

Name: keith
Trailer: scamp
Georgia
Registry
Pickle ball scamping

I use my 16 ' scamp majority of the time travelling to pickle ball tournaments all over Florida and Georgia. Pickle ball is very competitive when you get to the 4.5-5.0 level. If you want some running try singles...much more challenging than tennis. That is the beauty of the game it can be as easy or challenging as you want...I love scamping and pickle ball..
kmeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:59 AM   #25

Florida
If you're in a tournament in Central Florida let me know, I'd love to watch.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-01-2017, 10:59 AM   #26

Georgia
Registry
i'll be playing in Daytona Beach Shores tournament on Oct. 6-7. Some of the best players in the state there in DBS. There is a real nice campground there too (nova family campground) with good rates ($25+) I stay there when I play at DBS. Let me know . I like looking at other scamps and getting modification ideas. I just put new floors , access door ,rear storage on bumper and mattress in my egg.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:14 PM   #27

Florida
We should be there.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-01-2017, 08:18 PM   #28

Georgia
Registry
Looking forward to see you in Daytona. Are you planning on staying at nova? And i'm sure there is still time to sign up for the tournament
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp outside pic.jpg  
Old 08-02-2017, 05:56 PM   #29

Florida
Daytona Beach Shores

We plan to attend and will probably stay at Nova. I don't think we're ready to compete in a tournament, I haven't played more than 4 matches in the last 15 years but suspect it will be over a 100 by this coming December.

I played this Monday, about 40 people showed up, one man, actually looked older than us, had two knee braces and entered with a cane. Afterwards Ginny said to we looked like we were almost the oldest. The reality is that we're now older than about 92% of the people in the country. (I looked it up because she was curious.)

We ordered paddles on line a couple of days ago (played with borrowed paddles) and when our new paddles came we hustled right down to the courts, playing in a light rain like two 'can't wait children'.

Another something we can share.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-04-2017, 10:28 AM   #30

Florida
Addiction begins. Ginny and I played last night and this morning. I can tell by Ginny's smile that she wants to be a player. They start at 8 AM and play to noon. We got their early and I played 3 games. Really fun and a workout, not like a couple of hours of tennis but age appropriate. Next March Saturday morning. I like the coed nature.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-04-2017, 11:49 AM   #31

Georgia
Registry
It is very addictive ! I'll be traveling to DBS (in my scamp) oct. 11-13 to practice for the 4 tournaments I have coming up. Where do you play in FL.?
Old 08-04-2017, 02:09 PM   #32

Florida
Keith. I had one winter in AZ where I played every day some 16 years ago when we started our travels until this week that was the last time. Last winter a new member of our Escapee Park asked me about the possibility of a Pickleball park.

I approached our town and they offered me a huge fenced in concrete slab. They cleaned it and Ginny and I painted it. This fall I'll be teaching park members and eventually members of the town and two other RV parks. If this becomes a success there's room for more courts, actually a lot more.

For the remainder of our stay in NH I'll be playing at least every other day. Surprisingly Ginny is into it, maybe a hangover from her figuring out hiking on tough slopes in NL this year. What ever I'm happy. The days without matches Ginny and I go down and practice.

The people where we play are very friendly and helpful to newbies, like this forum.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-04-2017, 02:50 PM   #33

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I came across this article, in which the wife of one of the game's inventors says they named their dog after the game, rather than the other way around. Not that it matters much. Interesting reading about the history, though.
The History of Pickleball - Hoffman Estates Pickleball
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 03:38 PM   #34

Florida
Hf right, wrong direction.. I think I did that with the ball a couple of times today.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16