Pickup box generator - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-26-2013, 11:31 PM   #1

Name: Rob
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21FB
Oregon
Pickup box generator

Has anyone seen one of these http://www.mountainmaster.net/55genbox45amp.html
Any experience with one, or comments?
Thanks
robn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:23 AM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I doubt it, these are made for larger trailers with large 15,00BTU or perhaps dual air conditioner units. I'm not aware of any f/g trailers with that need.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:24 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Looks huge, expensive and noisy They don't mention the maker of the generator or it's sound levels but, in that they didn't, I'll bet it's: a) off-brand and b) not all that quiet.

That said, mounting a generator in the truck box sounds like a good idea to me.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:09 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I agree that just due to size, this specific unit is not a good match for our trailers. I also agree that this can be a good mounting location... for some people. Suitability depends on where your rig is limited: some people have lots of space and weight capacity in the truck, but others are maxed out there and would be better off putting additional stuff in the trailer instead.

Of course with this setup the generator can only power the trailer if the truck has not driven off somewhere, but I hope no one is leaving their camp with a generator running for others to put up with the noise.

It looks like Mountain Master is packaging a commercially available generator in a truck-mounted box with fuel storage and wiring connections. The generator comes to them in its own cabinet already, which shows the brand name of "Guardian", although it doesn't seem to match (in branding or power output rating) anything from the Generac, the only "Guardian generators" I found in a quick search. It might be an old photo. This style of generator, which is intended for installation in an RV (or service truck) does not have its own fuel tank or battery. I would want to carefully check that the additional packaging includes suitable provisions for air intake, exhaust, and cooling. I note that they assume it will be wired to the truck's battery for starting.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:19 PM   #5

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Looks like a perfect set up for a huge fifth wheel.

I'm wandering if Guardian is the brand from Cabela's?

I think I would prefer to get a tool box and maybe build my own for my own needs.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:20 PM   #6

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Nope, not Cabelas.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #7

Aside from the generator package, and unrelated to our trailers, those interested in clever mechanical devices might want to browse the rest of Mountain Master's product range, such as their various motorcycle loading systems.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The generator comes to them in its own cabinet already, which shows the brand name of "Guardian", although it doesn't seem to match (in branding or power output rating) anything from the Generac, the only "Guardian generators" I found in a quick search. It might be an old photo.
Searching for Guardian RV generators", it looks like it is likely a Generac RV model, although the don't use the Guardian name in their RV line anymore; this is an old photo, just as Peak Power Tools shows the old branding on their site.

Generac is well known, and the format of the generator is as is common for this type of installation, with lots of vibration isolation and good sound insulation (like the Onan in my motorhome) but these are typically not variable speed (like the inverter units in eco mode) or particularly quiet.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:52 PM   #9

Name: Rob
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21FB
Oregon
I did note that they are using an Onan generator. I saw this somewhere on their site. Most trailers do not offer a good generator option. This looks like a good idea to me for someone looking for a convenient source of power for their trailer.
robn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:55 AM   #10

One Mountain Master page says Onan; another shows the Guardian generator, which is similar but from a different company. Onan is a division of Cummins; the Guardian name belongs to Generac. The idea is the same regardless of brand, and the installation details will be similar.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:59 AM   #11

Mountain Master also offers a similar box for Honda and Yamaha portable generators. Note that it is not as fully enclosed, because the portable generators are not designed for installation in a cabinet.

Tags
generator