Pickup Lil Snoozy July 10th - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2012 Lil Snoozy w Forester
Illinois
Pickup Lil Snoozy July 10th

We're very excited and want to thank all of you who helped us in our FG search. We live in a suburb of Chicago and invite anyone that wants to see a Lil Snoozy around Chicago to let us know.

We ordered a Lil Snoozy and are picking it up July 10th. Of the FGRVs the Lil Snoozy seemed to be the lightest for what was important to us. We'll be towing with a 2010 Forrester. The dry weight of the Lil Snoozy is about 1900lbs according to Alan. It has the full queen and the quality appears great. We went down and saw them back in April. Alan and the whole team are very accomodating and very nice. We're also having a 2" receiver hitch put on the rear of the Lil SNoozy for our bicycles. We had a transmission cooler installed on our Forrester just to be safe.

TRAVEL STOP SUGGESTIONS: Any must stops between SC and Chicago on our return trip with our Lil Snoozy?? We're also going to see our kids around Woodstock NY in August and are thinking about going up to the finger lakes region and maybe into Canada going around the Great Lakes back thru Detroit on our way back to Chicago. If you have suggestions let us know.

Thanks again for all your help! Never done this before.

Dave
DavArl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:23 PM   #2

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Former Escape 19 owner
Virginia
Registry
Congrats! You made an awesome choice!!

Must see - in Virginia - Blue Ridge Parkway & Skyline Drive.
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:46 PM   #3

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Watkins Glen St. park in NY at the end of Seneca lake one of the finger lakes!!!! PM me and let me know if you go there I will come by and say hi. I would love to see your new camper. Or call (Six 0 7-three 6 8- 906 four)
Jason
kirkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:10 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Love to see your new baby at Niagara in Sept.
You will definitely have a great time.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #5

Illinois
Sounds like New York is the place to be. Thanks for the suggestions. We'll give them a try and let everyone know.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
If Jenny Wiley represents the quality of KY resort parks, be sure to stop at one of those. We are staying at Jenny Wiley for the third time the last week of July. The park has spotless bathrooms, full hookups, a restaurant (where they feed the critters outside the large windows, so you can watch), a hotel (if you need to stay overnight on the way down - we have stayed there), canoeing, fishing, a swimming pool, hiking, a unique golf course (not there but near - revamped coal mine), and a semi-pro musical theater (We are going to see Grease. One time, we laughed ourselves to stitches watching Nunsense.). If you watched the Hatfield and McCoy series, Pikeville is not far away either (The court cases happened there.).

We are also staying at Blue Licks State Park, so it will be interesting to see what it seems like, compared to our experience at Jenny Wiley.

I may want to tour your Snoozy. I live in Oak Park. We love our Uhaul VT, but at times, I dream of something different, especially when I whack my head into the curvy headroom and/or the stove fan (That is going though. It is on the hubby to-do list, especially since the directions with pix have been posted) or dream of being able to have a camper where we can pass in the hallway.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:39 PM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Will you be able to get in and out of the Snoozy with the bikes in place, or will they have to be removed each day?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:14 PM   #8

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
If you are in the finger lakes region, I would suggest Letchworth state park in NY. We had a great time there. It is kind of the mini grand canyon of the East.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:30 PM   #9

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Enjoy your new Snoozy.
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:50 PM   #10

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
If Jenny Wiley represents the quality of KY resort parks, be sure to stop at one of those. We are staying at Jenny Wiley for the third time the last week of July. The park has spotless bathrooms, full hookups, a restaurant (where they feed the critters outside the large windows, so you can watch), a hotel (if you need to stay overnight on the way down - we have stayed there), canoeing, fishing, a swimming pool, hiking, a unique golf course (not there but near - revamped coal mine), and a semi-pro musical theater (We are going to see Grease. One time, we laughed ourselves to stitches watching Nunsense.). If you watched the Hatfield and McCoy series, Pikeville is not far away either (The court cases happened there.).

We are also staying at Blue Licks State Park, so it will be interesting to see what it seems like, compared to our experience at Jenny Wiley.

I may want to tour your Snoozy. I live in Oak Park. We love our Uhaul VT, but at times, I dream of something different, especially when I whack my head into the curvy headroom and/or the stove fan (That is going though. It is on the hubby to-do list, especially since the directions with pix have been posted) or dream of being able to have a camper where we can pass in the hallway.

CindyL
Cindy,

Thanks. I'll check out Jenny Wiley! Send me a private message and I'll send you my phone so you can stop by to see the Lil Snoozy. We're in Skokie. We should be back in Chicagoland the last week in July.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:04 PM   #11

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Will you be able to get in and out of the Snoozy with the bikes in place, or will they have to be removed each day?
We have a bike rack that swivels down and out of the way (with bikes still attached) so the door should open cleanly without removing the bikes. Might be problem if you want a step up to the door. Just don't know. We use it on the end of our Forrester all the time with easy access thru the Forrester back door. It's a Softride. About $225. It's a 4 bike rack even though we just have 2 bikes. Don't know if they make a 2 bike rack. It's the best! Good for friends if they want to join us. When we camp we'll probably just put it on the car hitch after parking the Lil Snoozy. Or just put the bikes in the Lil Snoozy while we explore in our Forrester or just go hiking. Hope that helps.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:12 PM   #12

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericw View Post
If you are in the finger lakes region, I would suggest Letchworth state park in NY. We had a great time there. It is kind of the mini grand canyon of the East.
Thanks Eric. We'll definitely put it on our list as we head north from the Woodstock area. Our son and his girlfriend wrote a screenplay that's in theaters now. It's Love Peace and Misunderstanding with Jane Fonda. She plays a hippie grandmother. How's that for type casting. They live in Kerhonkson NY. Don't know how long it will be in the theaters. MY SHAMELESS PLUG.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:15 PM   #13

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDenny View Post
Enjoy your new Snoozy.
Thanks Denny. We spoke on the phone recently. If we go thru the Detroit area in August I'll try annd touch base to see the mods you are making. I'm not as handy as you but would love to see what ideas you came up with.

Dave
Old 06-18-2012, 03:00 AM   #14

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavArl View Post
Cindy,

Thanks. I'll check out Jenny Wiley! Send me a private message and I'll send you my phone so you can stop by to see the Lil Snoozy. We're in Skokie. We should be back in Chicagoland the last week in July.
We will be gone the last week of July, camping in our Uhaul at Jenny Wiley and points east and south, so it will have to be August. Better yet, take it to the Michigan get-together, and everyone can see it there.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:41 AM   #15

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavArl

Thanks Denny. We spoke on the phone recently. If we go thru the Detroit area in August I'll try annd touch base to see the mods you are making. I'm not as handy as you but would love to see what ideas you came up with.

Dave
Dave, you are welcome anytime. At the rate I'm progressing I'll still be working on the Snoozy in August.
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:50 AM   #16

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
First thing I'd do is stop at scales and get weighed, your tow weight capacity is 2400# and carrying capacity is 900#, which will include your tongue weight, occupants,fuel,luggage in the car. That trailer maybe a little too much for your Subaru. Outback may be a better choice.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #17

Name: Glenn
Trailer: lil snoozy
South Carolina
subaru towing

We originally were going to tow our Snoozy with our Subaru Outback, but she has over 130000 miles and we thought it would be a bit much. Do you really think a 4 cal. Subaru can pull the Snoozy up some of those hills we encountered in N.Carolina?? We are waiting for Subaru to import their diesel, but won't hold our breath. We installed a pull down bike rack on our Lil Boozy with pics in another forum. We can easily get into the trailer with the bikes on, and just chain them to a tree when we're out and about. Enjoy your new toy...we love ours. Happy Trails
Gleam B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:48 PM   #18

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Many people find it helpful to camp a few days close to the manufacturer after pickup to work out any little bugs or questions. Lucky for you, South Carolina has a number of state parks near Lil Snoozy. We've camped twice at Santee, but that's the opposite direction from home for you. There's also a state park north of Columbia (Sesquicentennial) and one on Lake Murray (Dreher Island SP), just west of Columbia. We've not stayed at either, but perhaps someone can chime in. The one on Lake Murray offers lakeview camping.
I've never towed with anything as small as your Outback, so I'll defer to those who have. That said, if you've never towed anything before, the hills of the Parkway (and even the I-26 into NC with the long stretch of 6 or 7 per cent grades up and down at Green River Gorge) might be a bit of a challenge for the first trip out. Beautiful, though, and highly recommended for scenery.
For your August trip, I can recommend Letchworth, as did another person earlier. We had a camping family reunion there a few years ago. It is a very large, very beautiful park. The Finger Lakes are beautiful, but we camp in a relative's driveway there. We've camped in both the Adirondacks and Catskills. Also lovely, and some great views in many of the campgrounds. We did the trip around the top of the Lakes on the TransCanada a few years back, from NY to Minnesota, and thoroughly enjoyed that. Our neighbors to the north are great hosts, and have some wonderful camping to offer in the Provincial Parks... hard to even pick a favorite spot on that trip!
Enjoy your new camper!
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:26 AM   #19

Illinois
Yes, Alan suggested camping at a park on a lake near him. I plan on spending two nights there as you said to work out the kinks and get acquanted with this new adventure!!! We'll definitely look into your suggestions.