Planning the big one - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-11-2007, 09:22 PM   #21

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Time zone transitions will be in your favor while you are Westbound, and work against you while you are Eastbound.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:32 PM   #22

Registry
Talking

Keep your itenerary as simple as possible. The limited time will allow for One, maybe Two major Destinations. To average 50 miles per hour (for computing daily distance covered) you will have to strive for actually driving 60 miles per hour. It is amazing what the opportunity cost (in distance covered) that potty break will cost you. Factor in Meal Stops, Fuel Stops, Potty Stops... also road construction, traffic congestion...

The MAPQUEST estimates do not take this into consideration.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:52 PM   #23

Registry
Talking

I find AAA's Triptik strip maps very helpful for finding the GAS-FOOD-LODGING locations, and warning you of where they are few and far between. Their Camping Guide booklets have helped us find campgrounds along unfamiliar routes.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:12 PM   #24

Registry
Talking

Robert and I have found that, when towing a Trailer, 450 miles per day was about our physical limit. If we tried to maintain our most fuel efficient speed of 55 mph, it would take 12 hours to reach that 450 mile goal. It is amazing how physically debilitating sitting in a car hurling across the interstates can be.

When we used a 13' Compact Junior, we averaged 1/2 hour set-up time upon arrival (clocked from signing the registration in the office) and about the same to break camp before departure.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:24 AM   #25

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
We went on a 3-week+, 4,000+ mile trip last year and managed to do 90% of it on the non-Interstate blue highways at 60MPH, with 9AM starts, and 3PM stops, and visits with friends along the way.

Interstates should only be used in emergencies!
Attached Thumbnails
Noname.jpg  
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:04 AM   #26

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Good advice, Frederick. Thanks.... I hear you all. I am too zoned in on my inner gypsy? Now I'm thinking after doing Canyonlands I could drop Dear One off at the Denver or St Louis airport and continue on alone, do a normal pace, maybe get off the interstates, smell more roses, cornstalks, etc. But would she go for that?

So little time, so many roads.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:23 AM   #27

Trailer: Summit Weekend Refuge
I suggest you take along good earplugs if you intend to overnight at Flying J---unless you are such a sound sleeper that the pa system making announcements and playing music at 2 am won't bother you.

Also, we have found that parking at WalMart's is very iffy, as many municipalities ban this practice.

These observations are based upon a recent 3,000 mile trip through California and Arizona.

I agree with the others, too, who say that you will be "saddle sore" with that much driving in such a short time span.

Good luck.

Art
Art Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:55 PM   #28

Trailer: Boler 13 ft 1972
You mentioned that you'd like to stay possibly in the Texas panhandle area. Just a recommendation for Palo Duro canyon state park off hiway 40.

One of the best kept secrets in our travels. Check out their website: www.tpwd.state.tx.us/park/paloduro for more details.

We just completed a 5000 mile trip with the boler, going to Texas and back in a month. Travelling 2-300 miles in a day was quite restful, and left time to see a lot of stuff. On previous trips, 2 to the east coast and back, our pace was 3-400 miles a day. I found this to be stressful. Luckily, retirement allows us all the tim we want now.

A couple of things to watch out for: it gets cold in the mountains. Water freezes at night, and you have to watch your hookups/pipes etc. Make sure you have antifreeze in your tow car.

Also, Passport America, a discount rv campground membership, about $40/year, offers good discounts in a lot of campgrounds. Typical was around $20 or less, and all had bathrooms, laundry and other amenities.
Lance MacArthur is offline   Reply With Quote