Plans for a new FB trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-12-2020, 07:14 PM   #1

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Plans for a new FB trailer

Because over the last weeks there’s a lot of time to think about it, I have begun to plan and design a brand new fiberglass travel trailer. Another egg for the people. Still early in the process but I have put together a few ideas and made a preliminary sketch. Nothing too detailed at this point, but with a little work could be perfect.

It must be fiberglass, of course, we know that for sure. Most certainly shaped like an egg, but different. Boiled works. I’m thinking an exterior gelcoat that’s lightly colored a perfect yellow-orange. On darkest nights it will glow in the dark. All will see, no porch light needed. Another unique idea here, my egg must come with four square steel wheels. The thinking is square wheels provide more traction when mud gets slung, and there will be mud. Also much harder to duplicate if stolen. Round ones may come around but square ones stay loyal. This could be genius.

Wheels will attach directly to reinforced fiberglass sidewalls. There will be no framed steel or aluminum undercarriage. Got to eliminate potential dead weight. Can that be done without dumping all old parts? No matter. My people will work on it. Let you know how very soon. For this I would hire only the best people in the entire history of trailer-ology.

Naturally, for appliances , gas. Lots of gas. For electricity rows of miniature windmills on the roof. Solar is just not yet a proven technology, though some seem to like solar. I can’t see it.

Inside it could get stuffy. There will be large windows on all sides that swing out, mostly right, surrounded by matching cabinet cubby holes below. Need dedicated cabinetry. Interior ceiling height will be very low. A cost cutter. I like short people what ain’t uppity.

All I need now is to find investors with crazy money. Can be done. Not an easy thing in the current economic environment. My secretary, Karen, a real straight shooter, (duck!) told me I should delete the whole idea. She did say, since I blow my own horn a lot, she liked the name I chose. The Trumpet.
Attached Thumbnails
trumpet.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 07:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I'm in, Myron. Where do I sign up? [emoji106][emoji16]
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 07:26 PM   #3

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Naturally, for appliances , gas. Lots of gas. For electricity rows of miniature windmills on the roof. Solar is just not yet a proven technology, though some seem to like solar. I can’t see it. ...

Windmills have worked great on bicycles. I'm sure the idea will scale up well.
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 07:35 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Can I see a sketch of the interior layout, please? I want a dishwasher and waterbed in my next trailer and my budget is currently $1,200.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 07:40 PM   #5

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by minke View Post
Windmills have worked great on bicycles. I'm sure the idea will scale up well.

Just thought of this: be careful that the windmills don't use up too much of the wind. You'll want some wind left over for the wind powered fans.
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 07:43 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Can I see a sketch of the interior layout, please? I want a dishwasher and waterbed in my next trailer and my budget is currently $1,200.

To clarify, a walk around waterbed and a dry bath.
Old 04-13-2020, 08:24 AM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
To clarify, a walk around waterbed and a dry bath.

Kinda confused
Will the square wheels help eliminate the need for a WDH
And the windmills should help with the current ever popular question about grounding & generators... the biggest issue I see if it handles those 3 items then this website will no longer be needed... where can I forward my stimulus check to get this project rolling
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 09:00 AM   #8

New Mexico
Registry
Yes, and square wheels also make a distinctive sound when they get going. Like weather here today, just full of surprises.

Hoping to rent factory space in Roswell. Windmills are like little flower petals.
Attached Thumbnails
s04A.jpg  
Old 04-13-2020, 09:07 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Why not put your $$$ into breeding a huge species of ostrich to lay the egg for you?
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 09:24 AM   #10

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Should have posted this in the "lets post some laughs" thread.

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were serious about this. My bad!!

Walt
Old 04-13-2020, 09:57 AM   #11

Name: Jim
Trailer: Casita 17 SD - sold - Lance 1475
Tennessee
How about a slide for the kiddies?
jimiller5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 11:39 AM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I’ll plump for a suitcase-sized sewage treatment module that turns black and grey water into potable drinking water and pressed logs that burn with no odor or smoke, thus ending once and for all the great toilet and campfire debates.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 01:06 PM   #13

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
You had me at steel square wheels since this would end the special trailer vs truck vs auto tire debate once and for all. They only make square tires for trailers and heavy equipment.

Or at least the heavy equipment that sits always seemed to come equipped with square tires.

About the dry bath... what about those who want a wet bath to save space or no bath because it is too much space to give up in a small camper? Oh darn the tire debate settles and the bath debate begins.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 01:11 PM   #14

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Donna, would you be able to go up to $1500 for the cabana boy option?
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 02:47 PM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Square wheels are genius! Will never need to carry pesky wheel chocks again.
JonRaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 03:06 PM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Don't forget the hot tub and the attached garage. With a garage we can keep the tow out of the weather when camping.

If you make it 13 feet wide you won't have to make it any longer than we are used to. People will already be used to the length and won't think it looks funny

The square wheels will eliminate the need to bring along wheel chocks. Excellent planning! Really improves the amount of storage.

Another thing might be to install the hitch on the back so people don't keep running into it as they walk around the front, as on ordinary trailers.
Old 04-13-2020, 03:49 PM   #17

New Mexico
Registry
Thanks, I was hoping for all this great feedback!

It will have a hitch on back bumper. Great for towing in reverse. Food and beverage storage will be inside a carved out block of Canadian ice, with attached Mexican brake hose connected underneath for drainage when defrosting. Built with double walls, heavily insulated.

Dinette comes with permanent pool table. Not for swimmers. Donna’s water beds will be standard issue. That means, of course, no need for outside shower heads. Water softener discounted for hard cases. Also liking your sewage treatment module, Jon. Could fit nicely under the stink...I mean sink.
Old 04-13-2020, 03:50 PM   #18

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Because over the last weeks there’s a lot of time to think about it, I have begun to plan and design a brand new fiberglass travel trailer. Another egg for the people. Still early in the process but I have put together a few ideas and made a preliminary sketch. Nothing too detailed at this point, but with a little work could be perfect.

It must be fiberglass, of course, we know that for sure. Most certainly shaped like an egg, but different. Boiled works. I’m thinking an exterior gelcoat that’s lightly colored a perfect yellow-orange. On darkest nights it will glow in the dark. All will see, no porch light needed. Another unique idea here, my egg must come with four square steel wheels. The thinking is square wheels provide more traction when mud gets slung, and there will be mud. Also much harder to duplicate if stolen. Round ones may come around but square ones stay loyal. This could be genius.

Wheels will attach directly to reinforced fiberglass sidewalls. There will be no framed steel or aluminum undercarriage. Got to eliminate potential dead weight. Can that be done without dumping all old parts? No matter. My people will work on it. Let you know how very soon. For this I would hire only the best people in the entire history of trailer-ology.

Naturally, for appliances , gas. Lots of gas. For electricity rows of miniature windmills on the roof. Solar is just not yet a proven technology, though some seem to like solar. I can’t see it.

Inside it could get stuffy. There will be large windows on all sides that swing out, mostly right, surrounded by matching cabinet cubby holes below. Need dedicated cabinetry. Interior ceiling height will be very low. A cost cutter. I like short people what ain’t uppity.

All I need now is to find investors with crazy money. Can be done. Not an easy thing in the current economic environment. My secretary, Karen, a real straight shooter, (duck!) told me I should delete the whole idea. She did say, since I blow my own horn a lot, she liked the name I chose. The Trumpet.
I like the art work. It is cute and a good laugh that we all can use right now.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 03:54 PM   #19

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Aren't the square tires the new run flat tires I've been hearing about? I didn't think that would be possible until I saw this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
Donna, would you be able to go up to $1500 for the cabana boy option?
Oh yes! It might take me fortyteenth days to save up the money though....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote