Play Pac - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2007, 04:52 PM   #41

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')
I saw it! What a neat fish! I laughed out loud.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:51 PM   #42

Trailer: Play Pac
Quote:
I saw it! What a neat fish! I laughed out loud.
I knew there had to be a way. Isn't he neat Bonnie! He's spoiled and awful! I've threatened him with the frying pan on numerous occasions.

Did you play with your Playpac at all today? I've been looking at fabrics on line and getting ideas. I'd sure like to have a small flat screen TV that folds down from the ceiling - with DVD - and speakers - and - and - and !!!!!

I talked to a fiberglass place yesterday to find out how hard it would be to put in some kind of rigid insulation (maybe like a styrofoam?) then put fiberglass over that then gel to make it smooth. They said it's possible. Just something for me to think about since I will have to take out everything anyway. That would make it like a cooler...

I have all winter to plan.

Camilla
Camilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:35 PM   #43

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
Quote:
I talked to a fiberglass place yesterday to find out how hard it would be to put in some kind of rigid insulation (maybe like a styrofoam?) then put fiberglass over that then gel to make it smooth. They said it's possible. Just something for me to think about since I will have to take out everything anyway. That would make it like a cooler...
Although it was done the otherway around (in a mold, gel coat, glass, rigid insulation then more glass) - that's how the PlayPac is built anyway.

Here's a www site describing what you want to do:

Glass over foam construction

I remember drooling over the car they show being built back in High School. I still think it's cool.

Mike
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:22 AM   #44

Quote:
Although it was done the otherway around (in a mold, gel coat, glass, rigid insulation then more glass) - that's how the PlayPac is built anyway.

I remember drooling over the car they show being built back in High School. I still think it's cool.

Mike
MIKE!!!!!!! I have to go look! I didn't know I already had insulation! Holey moley! The trailer sides felt pretty flimsy in places to me. I'll have to go check better. There is a place where a hole was cut out for a heater or something so I can get a good look. I won't need to insulate at all then! Wouldn't mind fiberglassing then gelcoating then- a nice pearly real light pink - that should keep the hunters at bay...

I think that car is VERY cool and I think you should build one Never too late!

Any more Playpac tips?

Camilla
Old 10-30-2007, 10:25 AM   #45

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Wouldn't mind fiberglassing then gelcoating then- a nice pearly real light pink

Camilla
Sell Mary Kay stuff do you?
Old 10-30-2007, 10:32 AM   #46

Quote:
Sell Mary Kay stuff do you?
Smarty pants No, just surrounded by males who might get funny ideas about taking MY toy out to the woods and getting yucky smelly guts and stuff on it. It's going to be a GIRL camper! They can go find their own!

Camilla
Old 10-30-2007, 01:51 PM   #47

Anywhere you have big expanses of "flat" on the PlayPac there is foam insulation built into the walls. Nothing on the corners or where the big stuff goes in the walls however (ie windows/door). The rigid foam is something like 1/4"-3/8". If I still had the trailer (or the chunk I cut out for access doors), I'd snap a photo to show you. It'll be REAL obvious as soon as you pull the wall coverings off though. Can't miss it.

I glued carpet on the walls of mine. Kind of a chore - but it looked decent and was very comfy to lean up against (especially around the bed). I'd ORIGINALLY planned on lining the walls with 1/4" luan plywood for more of a classic 50's trailer feel, but went with the carpet mainly because the previous owner had already purchased the carpet so it was already paid for. I did the plywood thing on my baby toy hauler and if I'd get off my !@#$% and take a few pictures I'd show you what it looks like. Pretty nice actually. Corners were a pain (I cheated). Carpet was easier to install, but won't be as easy to clean afterwards.

I still have some pics of the PlayPac redo up (click on link in my sig) although I've seriously edited down what all is up on that site.

I just painted mine using rattle cans. Not as durable as gel coat, but much easier to work with and touch ups are a cinch.

Quote:
MIKE!!!!!!! I have to go look! I didn't know I already had insulation! Holey moley! The trailer sides felt pretty flimsy in places to me. I'll have to go check better. There is a place where a hole was cut out for a heater or something so I can get a good look. I won't need to insulate at all then! Wouldn't mind fiberglassing then gelcoating then- a nice pearly real light pink - that should keep the hunters at bay...

I think that car is VERY cool and I think you should build one Never too late!

Any more Playpac tips?

Camilla
Old 10-30-2007, 01:55 PM   #48

Quote:
It's going to be a GIRL camper!
You should have gone with a Boler then. They're much more intrinsically feminine.

Curvy...

mkw
Old 10-30-2007, 02:31 PM   #49

Speaking of pink, I saw a VW bug (new one) painted a very nice light pink and it had flames! The flames were in a pink color that was barely darker than the body. It was beautiful.

Yes, Cam, a frig is probably in the future somewhere. I have a 5-day cooler right now and will use it until I decide. If the weather holds here I should be able to get some work done this weekend.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:03 PM   #50

Quote:

Mike

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but I could use the same fiberglassing technique with foam and say 1/2 or 2/2 wood construction to build the various pieces of the 'furniture in the PP? i.e. The seating for the dinette area? Kitchen cabinet front? Closet sides and shelves? Would the wood/foam strutures also work with fiberglass sheets? Lowes has 4/8 sheets in both white and ivory. Thought about it for the walls. Foam and fiberglass panels would be so much lighter to work with and would provide a better method for fine tuning the fit to the interior walls. Now I have a whole 'nother thing to think about.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:57 PM   #51

Trailer: Gypsy 1979
Hi Camilla, I just clicked on the snapfish link above ans had no trouble gwtting to the Playpac photos. Please try again as they are still there. Bill
Bill Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:29 PM   #52

Quote:
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but I could use the same fiberglassing technique with foam and say 1/2 or 2/2 wood construction to build the various pieces of the 'furniture in the PP? i.e. The seating for the dinette area? Kitchen cabinet front? Closet sides and shelves? Would the wood/foam strutures also work with fiberglass sheets? Lowes has 4/8 sheets in both white and ivory. Thought about it for the walls. Foam and fiberglass panels would be so much lighter to work with and would provide a better method for fine tuning the fit to the interior walls. Now I have a whole 'nother thing to think about.
And now I have a whole 'nother thing to think about too and I have to go to Lowes and look at what you are looking at. They have 4/8 sheets of fiberglass in white and ivory?

Nida-core To further complicate matters I thought you might like to look at this page. If you fool around on their site you'll find some real interesting stuff. On this page the link goes to you'll find a couple awful cool looking little RVs made from Nida-Core. One thing I might mention. I don't know if the Oliver trailers have Nida-Core here and there but they DO have it in the roof for strength (they have those A/Cs up there).

Also Bonnie, somewhere on the site is a page that shows furniture making that looks super easy. The stuff is cheap!

Camilla
Old 10-30-2007, 07:48 PM   #53

Quote:
You should have gone with a Boler then. They're much more intrinsically feminine.

Curvy...

mkw
I didn't even know I was going to get a little camper at all until I saw this one! It wasn't exactly planned! I already had a camper.

I love my new toy and when it's all pretty I'm going to love it a whole lot more!

Camilla
Old 10-30-2007, 07:57 PM   #54

Quote:
Hi Camilla, I just clicked on the snapfish link above ans had no trouble gwtting to the Playpac photos. Please try again as they are still there. Bill
Dang Bill. It's asking me to sign in and I do then I get this: "We're sorry, but the album you're trying to view is no longer available through this URL. Please ask your friend to share the photos again. "

They hate me. I'll try again. Maybe I'm not signing in right. I don't remember having to sign in before.

Camilla
Old 10-30-2007, 09:05 PM   #55

I was kinda sorta looking around at these LED lights too Bonnie. Some of them are awfully nice and they are also wireless... That would save wiring! They are so pretty.

Exciting lighting
Old 11-02-2007, 02:34 PM   #56

Quote:
Fiberglass over foam seating:
Dunno... The structural issue is the key one of course - don't know if it could take the weight. Probably depends on how thick you lay the glass up. Glassing both sides would be a lot stronger than just the side that shows.

Fiberglass sheets at the big-box stores:
That's not fiberglass reinforced resin (what the trailers are made from), but is Fiberglass reinforced plastic (Kinda like the stuff the put on stick-built trailers they call 'fiberglass'). I used that to repair the HUGE hole that was in the closet of my Boler. I ended up basically sheathing the old closet with FRP, using the original glass for structural support and the FRP for looks. It's really surprisingly tough stuff. Some have expressed concern about using it for outdoor applications since it's not UV protected. Course, I've got a sheet of the stuff sitting in a north facing door that gets 24/7 exposure for the last 2 or 3 years. I suppose I could check it.

For either of these, it should be easy enough to mock-up a quick seat using both methods and test them to see how they hold up. For the seating in my PlayPac, I framed it up with 2x3s (overkill) and covered with 1/2inch plywood.

If you decide to try the FRP sheets - get the matching trim pieces for corners and edges. (Actually, for the curved corner edges, I just covered it with white caulk - looked great!) You might think the FRP panels would take a 90 degree corner well with a little heating - but I wasn't able to get it to go. I used a heat gun to soften the area I wanted to bend. Darn thing just kept wanting to spring back to it's normal flat state. I might have made it TAKE the corner when hot - but it wouldn't retain the shape like I was asking it to do. That was 5 years ago though so my memory might be fading on that one.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:33 PM   #57

Trailer: 1973 Play Pac
Registry
hi, this is my 1973 PLAY PAC. got it about a year ago..took me a couple of years to find what i wanted and i couldn't be happier. this pic was taken at cloudland canyon state park in northwest ga...beautiful park...never crowded...glad to know there are some PP owners out there...cool to be in such an exclusive group....happy camping
Attached Images

ricky w. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 01:31 AM   #58

Quote:
hi, this is my 1973 PLAY PAC. got it about a year ago..took me a couple of years to find what i wanted and i couldn't be happier. this pic was taken at cloudland canyon state park in northwest ga...beautiful park...never crowded...glad to know there are some PP owners out there...cool to be in such an exclusive group....happy camping
Hi! That's a really nice rig. Is the awning original? You're PP gives us 7 owners now.

Could you post pictures of the inside?

Thanks and welcome.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:25 AM   #59

Quote:
Isn't that Bill Boone's old Play pac? You bought it from him didn't you? Great! Now we can get more photos! Do you live in NW GA?

Camilla
Old 11-05-2007, 08:06 PM   #60

Trailer: 1973 Play Pac
Registry
Quote:
Hi! That's a really nice rig. Is the awning original? You're PP gives us 7 owners now.

Could you post pictures of the inside?

Thanks and welcome.
Hey! thanks for the welcome. there was an awning rail attached already but i got the awning from Interwest Sports. about the only place i could find a 6 footer. i'll post some pics soon. see ya.
ricky w. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
play–pac