Playpac Hitch hut project by TrailKing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2023, 05:06 PM   #1

Name: Ash
Trailer: PlayPac Hitch Hut
CO
Playpac Hitch hut project by TrailKing

Hello again,
I wanted to start a thread on my Playpac Hitch hut Project. I found the trailer on an online classifieds add. Pretty much a basket case. Missing a door, a window, Tires and of course a title.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3866.jpg   IMG_3867.jpg  

IMG_3877.jpg   IMG_3869.jpg  

TrailKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 05:46 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
You do have a project. The door is going to be hard. Always good to see a long-neglected unit get a new lease on life. Best wishes!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 07:42 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Big dream here!
Lots a help for the asking.
A fglass shower may have a panel large enough to become a door? Or a smooth top truck canopy?
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 10:46 AM   #4

CO
I figured I would start by cleaning the camper out and checking out the floor. I removed the overlayed flooring and found another layer of osb strips and removed those as well.

That uncovered some bad flooring by the door of course. It was repaired prior but not well. I removed the bad flooring plus an extra amount so the seam would rest on a support. One structural board was in great shape and the other definitely benefited from some wood hardener. A product I learned about on this site!

I used PL 3x and set in a new floor. I screwed it down to the supports and put in new bolts to the frame and used a couple of boards and jacks to keep the fiberglass belly tight to the plywood for a couple of days and it worked very well. Glassed the new floor into the walls and am using Bondo to make the seams disappear as I will be laying down rolled linoleum.

The roof is also sagged of course like most of these that had the interior removed. I built a wood latter frame to fit in the bump up part of the roof and it lifted up quite well. It will be supported in the front with a wall or cabinets. The rear will either be supported by 2 interior posts or I may go with bolts thru the top and a support for a solar panel.

And the door! I built up a thin plywood door so I could seal it off with the heater inside so everything cures at the right temperature and it works pretty well. I didn't take a picture of the internal supports but that will change with the latch and hinges. I am waiting to trim it until the roof is sorted but it will get fiberglass all around. I am thinking it should work well and be lightweight.

Also copied the window from the other side on a piece of plywood and used that as a guide to bend a new window frame and use until I get the plexiglass.

Thank you all for your responses and let me know what you think or if you have suggestions. My wife wants me to have this thing ready for spring break! LOL Its crazy but I am an optimist.
Attached Thumbnails
floor.jpg   floor1.jpg  

floor2.jpg   door.jpg  

Old 02-15-2023, 11:30 AM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
I like your thinking and actions.
Reads like the wife will keep you focused,, lol
Fred
Old 02-15-2023, 11:57 AM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Definitely like your approach
I’d be sure I can get it titled before I spent a lot of time & money
Will definitely be following this thread
[emoji106]
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 12:16 PM   #7

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
I love your project and work so far. It will be wonderful, I’m sure!
Old 02-26-2023, 06:36 PM   #8

CO
Thank you all for your kind words.
I’ve been busy with projects but have got a few more things done and thought I’d post some photos

Finished the new floor and laid the vinyl. Framed the two front walls/supports. Much more comfortable to stand being a few inches taller again.

Started on the bed/dinette. Is going to be a king size all together or two smaller separate beds if desired if I don’t put the table in.

I removed one of the vents from the bathroom area and glassing that back together so I figured I would clean up the dome and see how bad it was and reseal everything.

Had to sand the paint off the dome but it polished up pretty decent. Has a couple of cracks in it but I stop dropped them and I think it will work just fine.
Hoping to tackle the kitchen and bath next week. Spring break is coming up fast!
Attached Thumbnails
92E0613E-6094-4227-862E-8206276443AB.jpg   0548B772-D09D-4339-8BA8-C89E2174B855.jpg  

22022AE5-3D13-4B47-90C7-798FB6817F33.jpg   243D5AD4-9F74-43D1-AF69-9026B3CCB98B.jpg  

Old 03-19-2023, 07:36 PM   #9

CO
I got a little busy getting the camper ready for spring break so I wasn’t able to post much but I made it! We had a fun week in the camper touring New Mexico.
Still not done with all the finishing touches but I’ll post a few photos
Attached Thumbnails
3D7081C2-231A-497E-8603-734CB13BF2DA.jpg   6301041E-CC82-4943-8E93-2A432C4199AD.jpg  

136C6DBE-D2C6-4E99-B745-45BE2B98943C.jpg   BFF763F3-1C1B-46A5-864F-999A5A242E63.jpg  

Old 03-21-2023, 11:22 AM   #10

Name: Rachel in RI
Trailer: Playpac
I am so inspired by your restoration! We just started gutting ours and are starting to think about the layout. I LOVE your twin bed set up. Looks like you can still do the king, too, if you want.

Can you take more pics of the front? Looks like you took out the little bathroom and subbed a storage closet and a bench. It must make the space seem bigger.

Did you add power or propane lines? Ours was stripped of 12v and propane and we are debating how to handle it. We might just use a butane stove and a portable power center….

Please keep updating! Looks so good!
Rachel Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 07:21 AM   #11

CO
Thank you Rachel! We are really happy with the layout. I like simple campers so we didn’t do the shower bathroom. There is a pota potty under to the left of the sink and it works out great. Probably well as a curtain for privacy but it’s nice to utilize the bubble/raised area in front of the toilet.
The storage closet has a couple is shelves and bins for food and kitchen stuff. Water and grey water are two 5 gallon containers under the sink. We went with a nice cooler and a drain/icebox but could still put in an electric fridge.
I installed a 100w solar panel and 100 ah Agm battery and ran be wires. Still planning more outlet’s just giving thought to the locations.
I didn’t run propane I just use the small bottles. I really don’t like cooking inside small campers and I prefer to cook outside. Mine has two outer doors to access under the rear bench area and I plan to purchase a pop up shade tent to cook under.
I’ll take some more pictures this weekend!
Old 03-22-2023, 11:09 AM   #12

Layout for Playpac

I am inspired to think about the layout up front. Part of me loves the idea of a private closet for the porta potty, but it is also a LOT of space for a single use. Your setup seems like it might be a good compromise.

Do you mind sharing the dimensions of your twin bed set up? I LOVE the idea of not having to scoot to the bottom of the bed to get in and out, so we are considering the twin bunks. We want to maximize bed width while still having enough foot room in the aisle. How is yours working?
Old 03-26-2023, 06:52 PM   #13

CO
I finally got around to talking a few more photos.
The first one is the fold up seat for the porta potty.
If you add a curtain you would have a private bath without dedicating the space to it. I really like the seat to take off my shoes before climbing into the king bed.

I took another picture in the front with the cabinets open. The water system is as simple as can be. It took me less than 5 minutes to winterize the camper when we got home.

I think the king mattress was 79” x75”. I used the 79” as the width as it fit the camper best. I have a 24” x 48”space for the table and between the beds. Seems pretty comfortable.

That makes the single beds almost 28” wide. I haven’t slept in it set up as two singles yet only the king but it feels pretty comfortable testing it out. We sleep with our heads towards the back of the camper and it’s easy for us to get in and out of the sleeping bag.

We got a kelty doublewide sleeping bag and are really happy with it. Zips on both sides and It has internal blankets and the hood holds the standard pillows nicely. Plus it’s easy to shove the bag towards the back and set up the table quickly if you want to use the dinette.

It got down the the high 20s night and we stayed comfortable without the heat. I would crank up a buddy heater in the am before getting out of bed.

Sorry some of my photos are rotated. I’m not sure how to fix that.
Attached Thumbnails
BC2562B9-4B66-4E33-B5A0-1E8421F99B95.jpg   7EC2E9F9-70F0-4637-A71D-8F2F414C5030.jpg  

Old 04-02-2023, 04:38 PM   #14

Thank you for the additional pictures! I love the porta potty cabinet, lol.