Point Mugu State Park, Calif. Fire Closures - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-04-2013, 12:38 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Point Mugu State Park, Calif. Fire Closures

Fire Closures, Point Mugu State Park, Calif.

Thornhill Broom and Sycamore Canyon campgrounds, just South of Oxnard, remain closed due to on-going fires.

Sycamore Canyon sustained severe damage with over 50% of the vegatation destroyed. No schedule for reopening.

Pacific Coast Highway is closed between Mulholland Drive and Los Posas.

We camped at Sycamore Canyon in 2006, very pretty place, large towering Sycamores, an easy walk under the PCH to a nice sandy beach with rocky outcrops on both ends, with Tide Pools. Sea Gulls & Parrots Flying Over at times with Raucous Calls in the Campground.

Our first real trip with the Scamp.

Too Bad! What a Shame. But many homes have been lost. Even worse.
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:31 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Springs fire update:

Contrary to some national news reports, although about 28,000 acres have burned, and about 15 houses suffered "damage", at least as of 6 am today, CalFire states that no occupied homes have been reported as total losses. (one abandoned house was allowed to burn).

That said, numerous RV's have burned, many in a storage yard near where the fires started. And yes, LP tanks were heard exploding.

In a much smaller fire in Mira Loma, (formerly known as "Wineville" if you saw the movie "Changeling... Wineville Chicken Coop Murders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
an aged trailer, being used as an extension of a house, demonstrated that it's life expectancy in a fire was less than 5 minutes. The adjacent house was also lost and 2 more homes were lost in the Banning fire some 100 miles distant from the Springs fire.

Local angle: I purchased the StarCraft pop-up I am rebuilding for my son from a Ranger who works at the Santa Monica national recreation area that surrounds the state park. . I suspect he was very busy yesterday at about the same time that I was painting the top on his old rig.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote