Policy changes for 2009? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2008, 11:09 PM   #1

Trailer: Compact Jr
Any ideas for policy changes to help full-timers live the way they want to live?

I wrote a couple of ideas in my blog: http://thistinyhouse.com/ -- Let me know your thoughts!
Michael M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I heartily agree. I've been stymied by all four of those, specificaly, in my past "rooted" house life, and they are so nonsensical! And frustrating!

I was just commenting to a friend the other day that it's a twisted world when someone who uses a (properly constructed and sited) outhouse has to hide it (or have eyebrows raised); while a couple of people living in a 6,000 square foot house are lauded. Not that people shouldn't do what they want, but ironically the social approval factor seems backwards!

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:03 AM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
Grow Food in the Yard
Allow people to grow gardens on their lots. Don’t outlaw it — make it socially acceptable and rewarding!

I have been wondering about this for YEARS! Why waste so much good land for grass that has to be maintained, and in some places (like our last neighborhood) you have to keep it groomed weekly, which is not only costly, but adds pollution and noise with all the yard equipment . Freshly grown veggies are not only tastier, but also healthier. I would love to see more community and home gardening taking place. When I spent some time in Portland Or, there were neighborhood gardens, and people growing food in their front yard. One house had a fence covered in concord grapes that you could eat as you walked down the sidewalk. It was nice to see communities come together to garden and share food on the same block they live on. They would often be on a common lot that was between houses.
April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:18 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler 1984
We all definately benefit.
Our city sells one cubic yard composters so that we can take all the peelings, eggshells and green material [no meat or fish] and return it to the earth. There's no limit to how many you have, so you could put a row of them out behind the garage. The city also puts all plant material that they gather through a chipper and compost it. There's a free drop off center where I can get rid of my yard waste, grass cuttings, dead leaves and other plant matter and tree limbs. In spring and summer the composted material is available, FREE, to anyone who wants to take it and have a couple of garbage cans full or several pick up loads for their gardens. I usually screen it as I load it to get rid of any large or plastic material that has gotten into it. At home I add it to the garden and spread a thin layer directly on the lawn to enrich the soil there. The end result has been a great amount of nourishment going back to the land and a huge reduction in material going to the local landfill. Yes, the city has to pay someone to maintain the compost pile but it's offset by the reduction in landfill costs.
My son-in-law's father grows great tomatoes in his front flower beds mixed in with the shrubs and other plants. The extra colour of the ripening fruit looks pretty good too. I'd try it too but the house faces the wrong direction and there's too much shade.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote