Poll: Do you cover your egg between uses? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Do you cover your egg between uses?
Yes, I throw a cover on mine between usage 14 29.79%
No, mine get full sun/rain all summer 33 70.21%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-28-2018, 08:17 AM   #21

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
In many areas (perhaps most), and for most of the time, I think leaving the egg uncovered is a perfectly acceptable option. Storing it in a fully enclosed climate-controller storage facility will result in the least amount of maintenance required. Storing it well ventilated under a carport will mean you need to do a little more maintenance, and storing outside and uncovered means even more routine maintenance. I would say a cover means more or less egg maintenance depending on how its done. It could actually be worse than storing the egg unprotected and uncovered. Last week I finally got mine under a $100 (on sale) temporary carport that might well blow away in the first big thunderstorm. But in the meantime it is somewhat protected.

The more exposure to the elements, especially UV (sunlight), the more frequent washing and waxing. I also think that treating the exposed rubber is a good idea. I use a pure silicon paste on window seals, etc.

Rust is also something to keep an eye out for, regardless of the storage method. For two years I stored my Scamp in my driveway uncovered. After two years of the Scamp sitting in my driveway when not in use, the rust left this mark:
Attached Thumbnails
drive.jpg  
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:26 AM   #22

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
I bought a cover from Casita lat Aug. and so far it has held up very well. Kind of a pain to cover and uncover for this short fat boy, but so far, better than having to wipe on-wipe off. Someone posted some pics. a while back of two poles they made from PVC pipe and they just laid it over with them. I would like to see them again if they read this.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:45 AM   #23

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I used a "cover" for one year. I decided that if I didnt get a carport put up to park under, I was SELLING THE SCAMP! Yes, I would sell it before leaving it out in the weather all the time when not in use. But that's just me. I also remove the wheels in the winter and put them inside. My Scamp sets up on jack stands when winterized.

I put a carport up...see link. I realize some cant because of "codes". But they didnt apply to mine. I would NOT be without a carport to park my RV under. I cant believe the THOUSANDS of $$ people pay and then leave the RV out in the open sun baking and freezing under the elements year-round.

Here's my fix apx $1200 total and it's been going strong for nearly 7 yrs now with no replacements!:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/503516...57657635513489
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:29 AM   #24

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
We cover ours unless we are going out within a couple of weeks. That and a yearly coat of Nu-finish keeps her looking new.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:13 PM   #25

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Do you cover it when actually camping? - We camp year round so that's why no cover for us....
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:30 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Here's my problem with using a cover. With a couple good coats of wax a year, I can hose off most of the gunge with a stream of water. Then I wash with a brush and Simonize Wash 'N' Wax.
Nobody has ever explained to me how they clean this green slime off their cover. Can't very well toss it in the washer and dryer.
Attached Thumbnails
Slime.jpg  
Old 03-30-2018, 04:29 AM   #27

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Here's my problem with using a cover. With a couple good coats of wax a year, I can hose off most of the gunge with a stream of water. Then I wash with a brush and Simonize Wash 'N' Wax.
Nobody has ever explained to me how they clean this green slime off their cover. Can't very well toss it in the washer and dryer.
Yep, alot depends on where it's stored. A friend in AZ covers his trailer and says he wouldn't be without it. Then again, he doesn't have the 'green slime' on everything as can happen in the PNW.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:46 AM   #28

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
green slime

we live surrounded by oak trees big slime on everything in the spring but it doesn't stick to our 13f scamper. we never open our windows due to all this stuff floating around.

makes it hard to even mow grass for about 6 weeks it gets into and on everything! Oh after the green slime then the oaks start blooming and finally they have long crawly looking things these plug up my gutters.

makes for a long spring and early summer I have been fighting this for 41 years!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:14 AM   #29

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Like anything, ya gotta get some elbow grease, only thing that works. its hard to find it at big box stores. but its around. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:45 AM   #30

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
Thank You!!!!

Thanks for all the replies!! After reading thru these and seeing what experiences you all have had, i'm going to go uncovered this year. I'll do a mid year coat of wax.

We are trying to move (sell/buy house) so that is why we don't want to put up a temporary carport. Hopefully we will get moved in 2018 and in our next home I will construct permanent egg storage (with full hookups lol).

Thanks again!!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:52 AM   #31

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
I covered mine during the long, snowy Oswego, NY winters, but now I just go to Arizona! During the summer I am on the road too much to bother, although I do wax it a couple times a year.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:55 AM   #32

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
I had a Casita when I lived in Alaska and covered it in the winter. Every spring during the melt the inside of the cover would start growing mold. There was so much moisture trapped under it, it was doing more harm than good. The cover actually rotted and fell apart very quickly. I didn't replace it. I have recently read some articles about covering an RV in warm weather. It can create extremely high internal temperatures which may damage some components. The only thing I cover now is the rolled up awning. I use the plastic tubes from Pro-tech. Keeps the UV and hailstones off the exposed fabric. But these, too, will trap moisture underneath and grow spots of mold if left on too long.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:18 AM   #33

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
David and Nancy,
We agree, moisture inside worries us far more than sun damage outside. Besides--when is it sunny around here 8 months of the year? Western part of the GPNW--you don't wear out, you rust out. Or mildew away.

And then there's that wind slapping damage...we had a fun time with the giant tarp Paul used in 2015-16 while resetting the windows: the giant gust of wind that ripped out several grommets and slammed the tarp into the back door and house...like an explosion.
Attached Thumbnails
Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 044.jpg   Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 045.jpg  

Old 03-31-2018, 10:36 AM   #34

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe & Cherie View Post
...Hopefully we will get moved in 2018 and in our next home I will construct permanent egg storage (with full hookups lol)...
We have a small retirement cabin, currently rented. When we move there, I plan to set up the side yard with covered Scamp storage, patio, electric plug, privacy fence, and garage bathroom adjacent. Perfect guest house!

Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:39 AM   #35

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
I bought a generic cover for my LS back when awaiting delivery. Took it out to the storage place and couldn't get it over trailer and pulled a back muscle. I'll probably try to sell it off sometime. We plan to extend the driveway and put up a tarp carport, er...snoozy port. The trailer has been out in the elements since we bought it. I am thinking maybe just tire covers to protect the tires. And try to get a wax on it. I never thought about the high humidity /high tropical force winds we get here and the damage that can ensue from covering.