Pooched is a real word. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2014, 07:50 AM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Pooched is a real word.

I admit my lack of knowledge about foreign culture and language .I finally looked up the word "pooched" in a Canadian to American dictionary this morning. Now the OP's post make sense to me . I didn't realize there was such a large difference between the 2 languages EH
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:07 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I admit my lack of knowledge about foreign culture and language .I finally looked up the word "pooched" in a Canadian to American dictionary this morning. Now the OP's post make sense to me . I didn't realize there was such a large difference between the 2 languages EH
pooched
English[edit]
Adjective[edit]
pooched
(slang) made unusable; broken; buggered (British)

Makes me wonder what you were thinking, Steve.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:43 AM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I didn't realize there was such a large difference between the 2 languages EH
LOL - yup we have a few words that leave our American friends puzzled. I was reminded of that last week when one of your fellow Americans asked me how far it was to such and such a town. I answered with "about 20 klicks" he looked very puzzled. Had to explain that a klick is a Kilometre.

Although we use lots of words that you don't hear to often in the US the most common 20 English words you will hear in Canada but not the US are listed here.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:53 AM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I answered with "about 20 klicks" he looked very puzzled. Had to explain that a klick is a Kilometre.
My understanding is that the Americans that have served protecting their country would know the term. Along with a plethora of totally unrecognizable Acronyms.

Then there is their multitude of various law enforcement officers. Up here we respond only to the word "police" or RCMP. Down there you better stop for anybody that hollers out any 3 or 4 letters and flashes a badge. I have no idea how they keep track of them all.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:46 AM   #5

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
My understanding is that the Americans that have served protecting their country would know the term. Along with a plethora of totally unrecognizable Acronyms.
My brother in law was in service for a long time, airborne infantry. He has the odd habit that I'm sure is from that time. Distances are feet and yards as in the bathrooms are only 20 yards from the camper, unless he is at the gun range then his brain shifts to meters as in lets go to the 50 meter range I want to do some pistol practice.

Same thing for long distances, he might say that something is a 10 mile drive from camp but when talking about hiking distances tends to switch to klicks, as in the beach is about 2 klicks that way.

Firing distances were always in meters, Humping a pack and using a map was always done in kilometers so that is how he thinks of them even decades later.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:45 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
My brother in law was in service for a long time, airborne infantry. He has the odd habit that I'm sure is from that time. Distances are feet and yards as in the bathrooms are only 20 yards from the camper, unless he is at the gun range then his brain shifts to meters as in lets go to the 50 meter range I want to do some pistol practice.

Same thing for long distances, he might say that something is a 10 mile drive from camp but when talking about hiking distances tends to switch to klicks, as in the beach is about 2 klicks that way.

Firing distances were always in meters, Humping a pack and using a map was always done in kilometers so that is how he thinks of them even decades later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
pooched
English[edit]
Adjective[edit]
pooched
(slang) made unusable; broken; buggered (British)

Makes me wonder what you were thinking, Steve.
I have heard the term used in reference to one who is standing around on the job doing nothing but wasting time IE " _ _ _ _ing the dog" or the pooch which did not seem to apply in this instance. The term was being used by people from the UP of Michigan . Working construction ,it seems every area of the country has it's own vernacular or jargon
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:37 PM   #7

Michigan
I believe screwed is the reference to pooch that in US English applies.

The phrase's origins come from an old joke. There are various versions, but a drunk man ends up shooting the wife and having relations with the pooch (instead of the other way around). It means to have really messed things up.

I just figured the Canadians being generally polite folks had shortened it and applied the short version more broadly to things that are totally messed up.

I have also heard that reference that Steven made to wasting time down here in the lower peninsula in factories, warehouse and on construction jobs.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:32 PM   #8

Trailer:
Is 'pooched' a digital thing, like virginity? I have been looking forward to the 'partially pooched' discussion.
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:54 PM   #9

Michigan
I think my floor would qualify as partially pooched. Main part is good but the one end.. eh not so much good.

By the way Katie our standard schnauzer wants you to know that she finds all these negative dog references to be highly offensive. Schnauzers are touchy about dignity and respect.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:25 PM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
I think my floor would qualify as partially pooched. Main part is good but the one end.. eh not so much good.

By the way Katie our standard schnauzer wants you to know that she finds all these negative dog references to be highly offensive. Schnauzers are touchy about dignity and respect.
Katie ain't just a-woofin'!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:42 PM   #11

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
My 1979 eleven pound Webster's says: pooch - a dog, especially a mongrel [slang]. Is a mongrel a messed up dog? That would make the messed up axle pooched. What does Katie say?
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:54 PM   #12

Michigan
Katie sez: No such thing as a messed up dog unless it won't play nice. Some of her best buddies at the dog park are mongrels and they are clearly not messed up. She sniffed them completely and they are ok. Then she wanted to know why I was spending so much time hanging out with what are obviously cat people and thus not to be trusted.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:08 PM   #13

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Ok...How about this one a 6 year old friend responded with when my wife asked him if he knew what a hipster was: He replied, "No, but I know what a gupster is". Do you? (He pronounced it "goopster"...funny kid.) We had to "Google" it to find out. I think most of you will have to, too.
Marv Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:14 PM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Marv, I'm not rich enough for Goldman-Sachs....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:02 PM   #15

Trailer: Boler 1984
My first use of a klick to describe distance was on the gun range. As in raising your rifle sights two klicks. That was back in the fifties. In all those in between years the distance has stretched from yards to kilometres. Just goes to show what time can do to the language.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:36 PM   #16

When I go to a ball game I would probably carry a mikey.
To the beach I'll take a 2-4
For a party a 26er is in order
For a whole weekender try on a fourth pounder.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:45 PM   #17

That' shorty pounder.
I hate spel cheque

Old 08-22-2014, 08:46 PM   #18

Try again d))$&&@m it!
FORTY POUNDER

Old 09-19-2014, 04:35 PM   #19

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by james kent View Post
That' shorty pounder.
I hate spel cheque

Spell checkers are bad enough, but manageable, the word completion software should be shot on sight! Measure twice before you cut, read twice (slowly) before you send!
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:14 PM   #20

I love critics!