Popup Camper SOLD!!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-13-2010, 04:28 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Popup Camper SOLD!!!

Our barely 2 yr old tent trailer just left our garage for good so now we're one step closer to "Eggin" it. I think hubby would kill me if we bought an egg before he gets his car though, he has been very patient for several years. He is searching for a 1965 Impala 2 door that hasnt been chopped etc. Hopefully next spring when the tax refund comes in we'll be able to find our beloved egg. We dont have any facilities or skills for doing renos so we'll be looking for one that is ready to camp. We dont mind updating the interior etc but the shell, floor and electric will need to be solid.

Phase I Complete!

Melissa, now RV-less, kind of odd feeling. Hopefully no hurricanes come since we no longer have an RV to escape in, LOL.
melissab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:42 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler 1984
Melissa
Why don't you go ahead and get the new-to-you trailer and then help him find his prize. If you waite for his car..... no trailer either.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:08 PM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Start looking for the trailer. He can probably find his car easier than you can find the right fiberglass trailer.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:10 PM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
But ...
You should have the $$ now from the sale of your tent trailer. I'd say finding the right egg is going to be easier than finding the car.
OTOH, if he's willing to accept a 1968 2 door Chevelle, I've had one in storage for over 25 years that has to go soon.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:17 PM   #5

Cindy,
I don't think the car he is looking for is going to be too easy to find. First of all, he wants a 2 door. A 65 Impala was a big car, most had 4 doors. They even based a wagon on it. He also wants one that has not been "chopped", that's an even harder find because that car had some good engines in it. (read popular with young guys that like to chop cars) There have been quite a few people doing things to them over the last 45 years. The one plus in his favour is that there was no mention of it needing to be a convertable.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:37 PM   #6

Sorry Cindy,
I want to correct myself after taking my foot out of my mouth. I checked ebay and there are currently 15 1965 Impala's listed, including three ragtops and a sweet looking SS with the 327. I didn't look closely at all the listings but there were some stock looking ones.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:59 PM   #7

LOL, oh trust me, Roy. If I'd let him spend the money on a convertible he would. We are trying to stay in the $15K price range for a ready to go Impala. Like you said, the young guys are destoying these cars (especially in California) so the original yet good condition cars are a premium. He watches ebay and Craig's List every day as well as Classic Car Trader. What condition is your Chevelle in? Probably wouldn't be within our price range though since those are sweet rides. My Mom bought one brand new right out of high school that was a 1968 SS. Blue with a white interior. Wish she still had that, LOL. Hubby did say if we found the perfect egg we could get it even if he doesnt have his car yet so that made me happy! I've noticed the For Sale board has been quiet so I'm thinking at the end of camping season (not that it ever ends in Florida) more will become available.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:01 AM   #8

Trailer: 2008 Scamp 16 ft Custom Deluxe Deluxe Side Dinette
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
LOL, oh trust me, Roy. If I'd let him spend the money on a convertible he would. We are trying to stay in the $15K price range for a ready to go Impala. Like you said, the young guys are destoying these cars (especially in California) so the original yet good condition cars are a premium. He watches ebay and Craig's List every day as well as Classic Car Trader. What condition is your Chevelle in? Probably wouldn't be within our price range though since those are sweet rides. My Mom bought one brand new right out of high school that was a 1968 SS. Blue with a white interior. Wish she still had that, LOL. Hubby did say if we found the perfect egg we could get it even if he doesnt have his car yet so that made me happy! I've noticed the For Sale board has been quiet so I'm thinking at the end of camping season (not that it ever ends in Florida) more will become available.
Melissa, i will keep an eye out for you. I come across a few from time to time (I have had 4 this year and 3 last year). Mostly what I find are Casitas and Scamps. Alot are dealer trade in campers or Bank repo's. Not alot of repo's on the eggs though. If I find something I will let you know. Scott B. on this forum actually has 2 Burros and a Pacer or something. He has pictures on his posts. I am sure that he would be willing to sell one or two of them.

Good luck with the search for the right Egg!

Mark
Mark Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:57 AM   #9

Thanks Mark, I appreciate that. We're probably looking at sometime around Feb since that's when our tax refund comes in but if something perfect came up especially nearer to us for the right price I could run to the bank and get a quick loan and then pay it off when tax season rolled around. We'd prefer to steer away from the Casita's just b/c of their heavier tongue weight. I have 3500 lb tow capacity with my Sienna but now that my folks live in WY we plan to trailer out there every summer and really explore that part of the country and I dont want to stress my daily driver or need a WDH. When me and the kids go alone I want something quick and easy to hook up. I do need electric brakes though or at least the ability to install them. Scamp, Boler, Pacer, Trillium etc are just fine as long as the front bunks/sofa are usuable. My girls are ages 7 and 14 so the top bunk may eventually need to be reinforced for my now 55 lb 7 yr old. I'd also like the A/C to be the closet type install rather than on the roof. I know finding my perfect egg in the condition and features I need (and not in Canada, lol) may take awhile and that's ok. Y'all are so lucky to have the skills and facilities/tools to make your eggs how you want them. I think I'm better off buying one all ready to go stern to bow. Do you know of anyone who buys Eggs, completely redoes them and then sells them? Or somebody that if I needed something done I could bring it to them?

Thanks again!
Old 08-16-2010, 04:14 PM   #10

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 2001
Quote:
Hi, melissab. Good luck in your egg hunt.

Two years ago we were similarly searching for a FG camper. After many months of following up "for sale" ads on various sites, we finally found a 2001 Scamp 13' here in Florida in Oct. 2009.

Hint: don't limit yourself to search terms like "Scamp" or "fiberglass trailer". I found our camper posted on a N. Florida Craig's List as a "pull behind trailer". Ad did not include any of the key words I usually searched with. Found the posting by scrolling through RV listings and just by dumb luck I clicked on the picture. Lo and behold, it was exactly what we had been looking for. After many phone calls with PO and a ten hour road trip, the Scamp was ours.

As you noted, listings of units for sale increased following the end of 2 distinct camping seasons; 1. the close of summer and 2. the close of "snowbird" season (Feb./March especially in the Keys, SouthWest Coast of Florida and North of the Spacecoast).

Good luck.

Deb D. in S. Florida
Deb&Sam D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:34 PM   #11

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
I have to selfishly agree about getting the trailer. I waited along time to get our 13' Scamp and when I sold it for what we nearly bought it new the money was definately to replace it with another bigger Scamp which it did.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:01 PM   #12

Thanks Deb for those search tips. It never occured to me somebody wouldnt list at least the Make of the trailer in their ad. That is the frustrating part about searching is trying to cover every possible aspect. I also never thought of the close of "snowbird" season as a good time to look since it's also usually the beginning of camping season. Everybody will be trying to scoop them up. I've seen lots of trailers available in Canada, LOL. Not too many this far South for some reason. We drive to WY every summer so I might have to pick one up on the way out, lol. Where in South Florida are you? We'd love to see inside a 13 foot since we've only been inside a 17' Casita and an Egg Camper. We're here in Melbourne if you ever come this direction. I want to attend the next "Scamp Camp" Do you know when/where it will be next year?

Thanks for the tips!
Old 08-20-2010, 10:52 AM   #13

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 2001
Quote:
Thanks Deb for those search tips. It never occured to me somebody wouldnt list at least the Make of the trailer in their ad. That is the frustrating part about searching is trying to cover every possible aspect. I also never thought of the close of "snowbird" season as a good time to look since it's also usually the beginning of camping season. Everybody will be trying to scoop them up. I've seen lots of trailers available in Canada, LOL. Not too many this far South for some reason. We drive to WY every summer so I might have to pick one up on the way out, lol. Where in South Florida are you? We'd love to see inside a 13 foot since we've only been inside a 17' Casita and an Egg Camper. We're here in Melbourne if you ever come this direction. I want to attend the next "Scamp Camp" Do you know when/where it will be next year?

Thanks for the tips!
Melissab -
We are located in Metro Dade County, near Miami. You are right that there are not too many FG units this far South, don't know why. A friend of ours here also scored a 2000 Scamp 13' last year after months of searching the few available sales ads.

The interior of our Scamp 13' is not the standard layout. PO ordered as an unfurnished shell from the factory and customized it to his requirements.

Re: Scamp Camp According to the SOI newsletter info, the 2011 Scamp Camp will be held Feb. 7 - 12 at Highlands Hammock State Park near Sebring, FL.

I just completed a trip on I-95 from St. Augustine FL. to Dade County. Just want to note the long stretch of road that is under construction in your area is a real pain!

Deb
Deb&Sam D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:59 AM   #14

Hi Deb, would love to see pix of your "custom interior". Does it by any chance have a larger bed? I sooooooooooooooooo agree about that stretch of I-95 as we traveled it headed out to WY and back this summer and that was without towing a trailer. I'd hate to tow through that mess. They've been working on it FOREVER! Well over a year, maybe 2 now. I saw on the news last night where they are going to install guard rails to help prevent all the crossover accidents we have. It's a really deadly stretch. It's about time but of course that means more construction. Thank you for the info on Scamp Camp. I'll mark it on my calendar. I'll either get a motel or drive down in the morning and drive home that night. Is it always at the same place every year? That makes it easy to plan for if it is.

Thanks again!