Portable Propane Instant Water Heater - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-15-2006, 02:52 PM   #1

Trailer: 83 Scamp 13 ft
Hello all,

I am a soon to be Scamp owner whose future camper doesn't have a water heater. I was looking at the under cabinet electric hot water dispensers (which is what I think that I will go with eventualy), Anyway I found this
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AE6X...lance&n=3375251
It looks like a really great idea. For all of you boon-dockers just think, hot water anytime no electric required.
UncleJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 03:37 PM   #2

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
I've seen it cheaper. I've sort of been waiting for a review from somebody here.

Maybe there was one before the incedent.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 04:17 PM   #3

Yes I saw it as low as $159.00 I just used the page at Amazon.com because it had reviews. Seems like a really cool idea though.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:43 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
I like mine. The unit is bulky however. The space inside an egg is at a premium. This won't work for everyone. For outdoor usage its great.
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 08:59 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
The not-so-creatively-named Hot Water On Demand has been discussed before, and it does look like an interesting system to me if that's all you need. I believe that it was designed for tent campers and the owner's manual says it is for outdoor use only; I think Benita's comment about this point is valuable insight from someone who has actually used one (I haven't).

I think the bulkiness comes from the need to contain the propane cylinder, water pump, and battery, in addition to the actual heater. If I had these things already in my trailer (electric pump and battery or hand pump, propane tank for stove and/or space heater) I don't think this complete system would be the optimal way to get hot water inside the trailer. I'm surprised that they offer the option of using a hose to connect to a bulk propane tank (instead of using the disposable cylinders), since Coleman doesn't offer that option for their catalytic heaters. Since it is a high-pressure setup, I believe that the hose kit would not be suitable for use in the trailer anyway.

Electrical power (AC or DC) is required eventually to recharge the built-in battery so that the unit can pump water.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 09:10 PM   #6

Here's the only thing I found by doing an all-forums Search for posts with
+Coleman +water +heater
hot water: options ??, we have a 13' Scamp: would like to make hot water
Old 03-15-2006, 09:15 PM   #7

I agree that it's certainly not the ideal solution, however it seems like an interesting option to know about. My wife and I have done Hurricane relief work in some pretty remote places in the last year and this would have been very popular
One night after installing fiberglass insulation in an attic all day we returned to our borrowed trailer to find no water! What an itchy night that was. This little unit would have saved the day.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:20 PM   #8

Hey Brian B-P,

If you don't have any way to make hot water you might consider an under the counter hot water dispenser. It is a small faucet that you add to your sink set up that is connected to a very small on demand electric water heater. Do a google search and you'll find numerous insinkerator, kenmore etc. models. It seems like a fairly simple mod and I believe others here have done it.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Hey Brian B-P,

If you don't have any way to make hot water you might consider an under the counter hot water dispenser...
I agree that this (the electric unit) is a light and compact way to go for people who camp with shore power. We have a regular 6-gallon propane-fired built-in water heater in our Boler; I was just considering what I would do in a more basic trailer if I had to add a water heater, and whether the Coleman unit would be appropriate.

Hey [b]Moderators, this Coleman unit does seem to be of interest to a lot of members - should a reference go in Helpful-Links?

There is one way to use a trailer for which the Coleman might be ideal. Some of my friends have tent trailers and say they always cook outside; I think some members here have indicated that they tend to do this too. If one were to cook on a portable stove (or barbeque) outside all of the time, use an electic cooler, use a portable space heater (or no heater), and use portable water containers and dishpans, then the (simple and lightweight) trailer wouldn't need propane or water systems at all, and the Coleman water heater (used outside) would fit in perfectly. That sounds like a lot of "if"s, but that's effectively how some people seem to camp anyway - the trailer is basically a dry and secure sleeping and storage space.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:30 PM   #10

Quote:
One night after installing fiberglass insulation in an attic all day we returned to our borrowed trailer to find no water! What an itchy night that was. This little unit would have saved the day.
This unit does not hold water. It heats water that is pumped through it. There are different package versions. One version contains a 5 gallon collapsible water jug that you fill and then connect to the pump. The instructions show a regular Coleman cooler filled with water being used as the water source. You can acquire an attachment that allows you to connect the water heater to a water hose so that plumbed water runs through it. If you have no water, the unit is useless.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:33 PM   #11

The older topics that discussed the Coleman On Demand unit were buried under talk about homemade showers.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:14 AM   #12

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
We like to use a big canning pot full of water over the campfire. Not fast, though! ( And outdoor use only!)
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 03:35 PM   #13

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
This all reminds me of the guy who made a homemade hot tub for camping.

tub was plastic tarp the sides were I forget , maybe tires? boards or rocks or whatever can hold up.
fill with water run a hose to a copper coil that sits in the fire and then a hose back to tub.
The hose is a loop and the tub heats by convection.
It looked really crazy but worked.
I guess with enough beer one can invent anything.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 06:38 AM   #14

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I've wondered about these, too. Unlimited hot water is attractive but then I wondered where I'd put all the grey water.

If I principally traveled from full hook up to full hook then maybe.

But, I travel solo and 6 gallons is more than enough hot water for a shower for just me. I mean, what're you doing in there?

Traveling as a couple would probably require a morning shower person and an evening shower person I suppose.

In the end, not enough attraction for me. Cool gadget. No bang for the buck.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 06:48 AM   #15

Hey, search: oster water heater on ebay and you'll find a guy selling them for $139 buy it now or auctions starting at $109. Thats not a bad price.Shipping is high but its still cheaper than anywhere else I've seen.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:27 AM   #16

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Compact II
Re: Coleman Portable Hot Water Heater:

For that price ($199), I'd much rather install a teeny-weeny microwave oven...not only heat my water, but heat the milk for my coffee, and a million other food items!
bbuehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 07:34 AM   #17

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Take it from an old canoeist/backpacker/ski mountaineer: cold water works just fine for bathing. Paying $$$ and giving up space for a water heater only gets you a little warmth and pleasure. My wife and I have better ways to do that.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 08:18 AM   #18

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I looked at these and decided against them due to the bulk and weight as well.

I use the stove to heat a small amount of water in a BIG pot to a rolling boil, then I ADD cool water until the temp is to my liking. Uses less propane, and takes much less time.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 10:36 PM   #19

Quote:
I use the stove to heat a small amount of water in a BIG pot to a rolling boil, then I ADD cool water until the temp is to my liking. Uses less propane, and takes much less time.
I doubt the time factor is on your side of the equation. You turn the knob to hot and hot water comes out. It is very accurate in its "on demand" description. There is no waiting for boiling temperature to be reached. You adjust the knob and adjust the temperature. If you are a creature of habit, you just leave the knob set at the temperature you like. Mixing to correct temperature is not an issue. You could fill the same big pot for your water source, drop in the pump and turn the unit on. The water will come out of the faucet. There is a shower attachment that fits on the faucet that can also be used as a hose or tubing to route the water elsewhere.

Cabelas (Water Heater on Sale)
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2006, 07:19 AM   #20

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
So you can heat up water on a stove in a few minutes for pennies. Or you can get the Coleman unit with carrying case and shower for only $209.97. Such a deal!

The only benefit I can see is speed, which is about the last thing I'm looking for when camping. Remember that every gadget you take along in your egg takes up space, adds weight, requires maintenance, and will eventually break down.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote