Possible alternative to pricey generators - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-25-2007, 12:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 2007 Scamp 13 ft / 2005 Jeep Wrangler 6 cyl
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Scallan
Talking

Does anyone know anything about these two genertors? I'm trying to see if there is a good alternative to the 2000 Honda or Yahama.

Thanks

Coleman Powermate Recreational Generator — 2250 Watts, Model# PM0431802
Item# 164066
Only $499.99

ProForce 2500 Generator (Refurb)
Model# RPM0102500
Allow 2 week lead time
$239.95
Robert Scallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 12:41 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Quote:
Does anyone know anything about these two genertors? I'm trying to see if there is a good alternative to the $2000 Honda or Yahama.

Thanks
Coleman Powermate Recreational Generator — 2250 Watts, Model# PM0431802
Item# 164066
Only $499.99

ProForce 2500 Generator (Refurb)
Model# RPM0102500
Allow 2 week lead time
$239.95
I have the ProForce 3500 and this powers all our AC, heating, and lighting needs. However, I'm having a bit of trouble with it at the moment because of a slight gas drip out of the needle valve. I don't know if the 2500 will cover what you need, but I would guess it would be dependable for you. However, it is a bit noisy and I'm trying to fabricate a sound cover out of insulated ceiling tiles to act as a box with the top open. This would direct more sound up rather than all over.

Kevin
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 12:46 PM   #3

Talking

Quote:
I have the ProForce 3500 and this powers all our AC, heating, and lighting needs. However, I'm having a bit of trouble with it at the moment because of a slight gas drip out of the needle valve. I don't know if the 2500 will cover what you need, but I would guess it would be dependable for you. However, it is a bit noisy and I'm trying to fabricate a sound cover out of insulated ceiling tiles to act as a box with the top open. This would direct more sound up rather than all over.

Kevin
Thanks Kevin, that was one of my questions...noise...even though they advertise a low 70db sound on the 2500, I'm not sure they can be beleived. I appreciate your input.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:16 PM   #4

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
Does anyone know anything about these two genertors? I'm trying to see if there is a good alternative to the $2000 Honda or Yahama.
Honda is the largest manufacturer of engines in the world and they have set the bench mark in all applications.
I have had a Honda 2000 for 6 or 7 years. The only time I had a problem was when I let it set for about 6 months with fuel in it. After I cleaned the carb it has never failed me and usually starts on the first or second pull. It is probably the most quite gen on the market.
If I could not have a Honda a Yamaha would be my next choice
I had a Coleman and one other off brand gen prior to my Honda. They were hard to start on occassion and in my opinion compared to a Honda a waste of money even though the initial cost was less.
You get what you pay for.
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:07 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
"...alternative to the $2000 Honda..." With all due respect, I think you mean 2000i Honda that is available for under $900. If i'm wrong, please accept humble apology.
Jerry Driscoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 11:28 PM   #6

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Robert,
The primary issue ends up being noise. Yamaha and Honda are the examples of quietness that other manufacturers try to copy. If you are wise and continue to investigate before spending your money, you'll realize that many people have unused generators in their garages or they have sold them cheaply because they couldn't stand the racket. One should be able to stand next to an operating generator and carry on a conversation without raising ones voice. The inexpensive units can often be disturbingly loud 3-400 feet away. They can be heard throughout your own well insulated, dual glazed home.
Campgrounds usually have restrictive rules regarding generators because of past noise pollution from folks who did not consider the affect on the rest of the campground tenants.
Have you ever attempted to sleep when parked next to a diesel big-rig with it's engine running? An inexpensive (read cheap) generator may produce even more noise.
In other words, have a heart, save your money until you can afford a truly quiet unit. Your own family and all your camping neighbors will thank you, and it's guaranteed you will be a much more happy camper.
There is also another side to the better generators. Mostly they provide "clean" power which doesn't affect electronic such as computers. They also have fuel saving modes which adjust the output to the demand. If you are only using a lightbulb or 2, the generator will only be idling until the air conditioner cycles or some one decides to fix popcorn in the microwave, then it will speed up automatically.
'Nuff said,
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 11:42 PM   #7

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
John Perry,
As recently as 2 years ago, the distinction of being the world's largest manufacturer of generators belonged to Yamaha. I wasn't aware that Yamaha's position had changed. I will admit the situation could have changed like Toyota becoming #1 in world wide vehicle sales.
Either are quite acceptible power units for camping as long as the quietest units are used. In my opinion converting them to propane improves them even further.

That's my story and until a big improvement comes along...I'm committed to sticking to it!!
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 05:36 AM   #8

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Thanks Kevin, that was one of my questions...noise...even though they advertise a low 70db sound on the 2500, I'm not sure they can be beleived. I appreciate your input.
70 dB isn't particularly quiet. In fact, it's fairly loud. 60 dB is half as loud as 70 dB (it's a logarithmic scale). Honda 2000i's are rated sub 60 dB (at 1 meter from the source.)

Some dB comparisons
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:43 AM   #9

Unhappy

Quote:
"...alternative to the $2000 Honda..." With all due respect, I think you mean 2000i Honda that is available for under $900. If i'm wrong, please accept humble apology.
Where can I get a 2000=/- watt Honda/Yahama for under $1000? Thanks
Old 04-26-2007, 08:46 AM   #10

Unhappy

Quote:
Robert,
The primary issue ends up being noise. Yamaha and Honda are the examples of quietness that other manufacturers try to copy. If you are wise and continue to investigate before spending your money, you'll realize that many people have unused generators in their garages or they have sold them cheaply because they couldn't stand the racket. One should be able to stand next to an operating generator and carry on a conversation without raising ones voice. The inexpensive units can often be disturbingly loud 3-400 feet away. They can be heard throughout your own well insulated, dual glazed home.
Campgrounds usually have restrictive rules regarding generators because of past noise pollution from folks who did not consider the affect on the rest of the campground tenants.
Have you ever attempted to sleep when parked next to a diesel big-rig with it's engine running? An inexpensive (read cheap) generator may produce even more noise.
In other words, have a heart, save your money until you can afford a truly quiet unit. Your own family and all your camping neighbors will thank you, and it's guaranteed you will be a much more happy camper.
There is also another side to the better generators. Mostly they provide "clean" power which doesn't affect electronic such as computers. They also have fuel saving modes which adjust the output to the demand. If you are only using a lightbulb or 2, the generator will only be idling until the air conditioner cycles or some one decides to fix popcorn in the microwave, then it will speed up automatically.
'Nuff said,
Kurt & Ann K.
I am very aware of my (our) responsibility to other campers in all areas, especially noise and so that is why the db level is the most important aspect of my search for a gen........price is also, but not at the expense of being a "problem camper".
Old 04-26-2007, 08:54 AM   #11

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
Where can I get a 2000=/- watt Honda/Yahama for under $1000? Thanks

See here!

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=19506
Lee Hillsgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 02:58 PM   #12

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
John Perry,
As recently as 2 years ago, the distinction of being the world's largest manufacturer of generators belonged to Yamaha.

Hi Kurt and Ann,

Yamaha may be the largest manufaccturer of generators. They are a first class product.
I have a 1985 25 Hp Yamaha outboard engine and it has never failed to start or given me a bit of trouble.
I stated that Honda was the largest manufacturer of engines in the world and has set the bench mark in every application.
As for longevity and trouble free operations you cannot beat either Honda or Yamaha.
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 04:49 PM   #13

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Given that we use our trailers for camping and "get away," and that we don't want to bother our neighbors who are also trying to "get away," I think the main thing is to know how loud the genset is. Noisy gensets make for unpopular people on a campsite, and quieter gensets have an advantage besides winning the popularity contests. Quieter gensets tend to be better made and engineered, so they should last longer and cost less to operate.

Genset marketing materials generally measure their volume levels in decibels at a distance of 7 meters, about 23 feet, with cheaper ones claiming decibel readings of 63-65 decibels and top quality units, like the Hondas, Kipors, and Yamahas down in the mid- to lower-fifties range.

Since normal human conversation measured at a distance of just one meter tends to range from 55 decibels for quiet conversation to to 65 decibels for a loud one, this kinda means you'd really have to raise your voice to be heard over a 65 decibel genset even when you're over twenty feet away, but with a good genset you can talk in a "normal" voice (about 60 decibels).

I looked at cheaper gensets, too. My decision is to skip the cheapie genset, install a solar panel and lower energy lighting. Solar is silent, doesn't pollute the air, doesn't consume (or run out of) gas or require tune-ups or oil changes. And, ifit turns out I do occasionally need to boost my batteries or want to run my microwave or an air conditioner I can always buy a genset later.

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 04:08 PM   #14

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
While the Canadian MSRP for a Honda EU200iC is $1749, the online price from Honda USA is only $1079.95, so US$900 sounds like a decent deal. I can't say whether it's worth the price difference, but I also can't see buying any typical cheap generator, primarily due to the noise.

Even the Honda EU-series I've heard is too loud for me to want in a campsite. I'll bet my van could be fitted with a high-output alternator and make 2000W more quietly than these little air-cooled units - despite being twenty times as large (by engine displacement).

High-end RV generators are liquid-cooled, which probably helps reduce noise, but not the portables.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 04:41 PM   #15

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
Just an FYI that might get you if you don't know. The Honda 2K is only rated for 1800 W continuous. The Honda 2K can run some small recent manufacture A/C units. The Honda 2K will not power older or larger A/C units. If you have an A/C most people report better results with the Yamahama 2400. If you are going to power an A/C it is important to research carefully. If you are going to camp in the mountains, be aware that generators loose power and capacity as elevation above sea level increases.

Consider asking a buddy if you can borrow a generator you are considering purchasing to do a test to see if it can carry the load of your camper + A/C.

The numbers are not precise because the variable in the situation is the TT's converter. It's always on, and will take current to charge the batteries if they are low.

For the record I have a Honda 2K and Honda 3K.

Curt.
1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote