potty solution?? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2008, 05:49 PM   #41

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Can you cite the statutes for any state(s) that ban the disposal of excrement in the trash?

Someone made the same statement on rv.net a year or so back, and when rebutted neither they nor anyone else could come up with an actual law that said so. It left the impression that the belief is just a bit of mistaken folklore.

People dump their used kitty litter in the municipal trash all the time. There's not much difference if people use the kitty litter in their personal "camping bucket" or chamber pot and then dispose it in the dumpster.

If it really is illegal, it would be good to know! I don't want to go to the slammer. (Not sure what we would then do with what our cat leaves behind, though...)
In our city it has to be bagged separately (not dumped loose in the trash) but then can be put in the trash can. Pretty stupid, actually, since it means less decomposition in the land fill.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:21 PM   #42

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
I have an old version of this that I picked up at a garage sale years ago. it's only used for midnight emergencies and what little is in it gets disposed of in the campground facility (#1 only and a healthy shot of blue stuff added). sorry, that was neering the "to much info" line.
at the end of the season it goes to the carwash for a major spraydown.

Quote:
Do you have a little cubby under the front gacho? the theford 135 is a perfect fit . when i had my Scamp 13..
I got mine at Walmart alot cheaper than this one shown..... I used it at nite only... but used the public restrooms during the day...

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...requestid=59158
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:31 PM   #43

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
and a healthy shot of blue stuff added
I am using a 100% odor free and biodegradable tank treatment as a replacement for the awful smelly blue stuff, and I am extremely pleased with it so far. I will try to get the name next time for those interested.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:51 PM   #44

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
Quote:
Can you cite the statutes for any state(s) that ban the disposal of excrement in the trash? ...
quick searach of the net came up with a city? code

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
ARTICLE VII. GENERAL DISPOSAL STANDARDS
Sec. 22.100. Compliance with article.

No sewage, human excrement, or industrial waste may be discharged, deposited or permitted to flow on, in, or under the surface of the ground, unless such sewage meets the standards and requirements of this article.

No sewage, human excrement or industrial waste may be discharged to, deposited on, or permitted to flow into any of the water in, flowing through, or bordering on the city unless such sewage complies with the standards and requirements of this article.

Any sewage, sludge, industrial waste, human excrement or liquid putrescible material, or liquid toxic material removed, transported, or disposed of in any manner other than that provided in this article is deemed to be an offensive material dangerous or prejudicial to health and is hereby declared to be a nuisance.

Fines for a nuisance later defined in another section.
----------------------------------------------------------

[b]Further research says somewhere in THIS FEDERAL CODE it states it is illegal by Federal Law to put it in the trash. I didn't review the code though
Coach George Jessup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:54 PM   #45

Quote:
...I am using a 100% odor free and biodegradable tank treatment ...
Just to clarify, this material is biodegradable but it does not make the human excrement put in with it legal to dispose anywhere but into a sewage system
Old 09-30-2008, 12:15 AM   #46

Trailer: 1999 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
A liquid laundry soap bottle makes a good "stealth" urinal once the pour spout has been removed from the neck. Ladies will still need the "Jill" adaptor.
Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:18 PM   #47

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
In the boating world there is an electric pump connect to the black water tank. A porta potty has adaptors that connect to the pump and you can pump out when under way. Although a $ 200 expense, it beats adding a holding tank. You just connect it up and then pump away when needed.

Has anybody done this?
It could be used to increased black water tankage without adding another tank. Fits under the seat.
James V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:46 PM   #48

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I would not want to swim in that, YUK

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 03:49 PM   #49

Trailer: Boler 1984
Quote:
In the boating world there is an electric pump connect to the black water tank. A porta potty has adaptors that connect to the pump and you can pump out when under way. Although a $ 200 expense, it beats adding a holding tank.
Has anybody done this?
Yeeech! I hope not in our neck of the woods. I think that there are pretty stiff fines for dumping in the lake.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:48 AM   #50

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
Just thought I'd pass this along, I was shopping for some cat food the other day, and realized that the cat food that comes in the plastic container has a very wide mouth opening/lid and is a good size container for collecting "yellow" water (esp. for the ladies). I bought one, and plan to spray paint it a solid color so it won't be so embarrasing carying it to dispose of.

minus the catfood of course
April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:04 AM   #51

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
In the boating world there is an electric pump connect to the black water tank. A porta potty has adaptors that connect to the pump and you can pump out when under way. Although a $ 200 expense, it beats adding a holding tank. You just connect it up and then pump away when needed.

Has anybody done this?
It could be used to increased black water tankage without adding another tank. Fits under the seat.
I hope you are joking. If not, that is a totally irresponsible suggestion which gives boaters a bad reputation.
Dan R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:26 AM   #52

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
For boaters (both pleasure and commercial) there are set rules for dumping "black water." In general, you can dump if you are beyond the three-mile limit, although certain waters are "no discharge" areas even there (such as the Great Lakes).

Grey water has its own rules, separate from black water -- and then trash and food have other rules (for example at a certain mileage point you can throw no trash over; at the next mileage point it has to be cut up into small pieces; finally it can be thrown over "whole"). Plastic can NEVER be thrown overboard.

This is just to give the general idea, not specifics, as I'm not referring to the rule book right now.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:33 PM   #53

Trailer: Boler
diaper pail with lock lid works perfect. right height for the ladies
judie shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:11 PM   #54

Quote:
diaper pail with lock lid works perfect. right height for the ladies
"Diaper Pale"? Secret code only woman know I suspect. Any Pics?
Old 01-28-2009, 02:26 AM   #55

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

Quote:
"Diaper Pale"? Secret code only woman know I suspect. Any Pics?
We used to use a diaper pail which was just a yellow enameled metal pail with a lid about the diameter of a five gallon bucket only shorter. Looking up diaper pail today reveals many sophisticated plastic thingies.
We graduated to a porta potti when we got our boat for obvious reasons.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:36 PM   #56

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
We got one of the coleman porta potties for about $40 through amazon.com

Name:   AAAAAqwVKJEAAAAAACdX_A.png
Views: 25
Size:  26.0 KB

that fits in the middle cubbie under our front bunk in our 13'. We haven't found much need for it yet, as we have camped in places with facilities, but we have been using a plastic cat food container with a screw top lid/opening on top as a "yellow" water container at night. The opening is large so it seems to work well, even when half asleep. It is easy to find at most grocery stores, and only cost a few $. I spray painted mine black to make it less noticable when carrying it to the restroom to empty.
similar to this one...

Name:   catnipschicken.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  24.2 KB
April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:47 AM   #57

Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I just use a laundry detergent bottle (with the inside pour spout cut out) as my Yellow Water Tank -- Already opaque and a common item -- Price is right at laundromat when stopping to do laundry and I don't feel a need to clean it, just recycle it for a 'new' one.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:32 PM   #58

Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Millions of parents are going to jail for improper (insert disposable diaper brand here) disposal.

You wanna talk toxic waste? Yellow baby poop; the major component of which is some as yet unknown byproduct of formula.

Sorry for the tangent, but like someone else posted, I'd like a linky to a statute of some sort.
And millions of grand parents, too, are guilty of disposing of their grand children's "dumps" with diapers in the trash.

As a side note I do know that it is acceptable to bury one's "excrement dumps" while hiking along our national trails, but in catholes a minimum of 6" deep and 200' or more from any water source. But that is per the LNT (Leave No Trace) "ethics" rather than any specific "law"..
John Hussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:08 PM   #59

Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
There may indeed be laws, regulations or rules regarding back country waste disposal, depending on the park and the circumstances.

For example, I believe it is illegal for some camping parties to use catholes on some of the Western Rivers, like the San Juan in Utah -- Camp groups are required to carry toilet gear (aka Groovers) to transport their wastes back to civilization for proper disposal -- It is even specified that the transport gear be flushable, not just plastic bags to clog local landfills -- One has to pass inspection by the BLM rangers before departing on a river trip and the portable toilet gear is part of the inspection -- No Groover, no river permit.

Large river camping parties using the same campgrounds over the years were causing a sanitation problem in the dry desert country.

In other places, like along the sea coasts, cat holes are also not allowed above certain tide levels -- Human waste must be buried below the tide range for natural assimilation.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:33 AM   #60

Trailer: Boler 1984
Quote:
There may indeed be laws, regulations or rules regarding back country waste disposal, depending on the park and the circumstances.
You're right! In the Yukon, NWT, and in Alaska there are already large areas that hunters, hikers and canoists MUST carry out ALL of their personal refuse [AKA night dirt] for disposal at regulated sites. This will become more and more common, in other wilderness access parks, as overuse of park interior camping and the need to conserve what we have continues to grow. Disregarding proper dumping proceedures is both dangerous to health and stupid, and ignoring the rules doesn't make it right.
We pick up after our pets, right? So what's different?
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote