potty solution?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-06-2008, 01:30 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I am looking for examples of inexpensive potty solutions. I will probably get a self contained porto pot down the road, but I am picking up a 13' Scamp in about a week and I am looking for an inexpensive potty solution to use in the camper until I get a porto. Any ideas or links??

Thanks!
-Lynn

Lynn L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:54 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
If you stay in campgrounds or RV parks they all have potties there for your use.

I don't have a toilet of any kind in my trailer. My wife and I manage just fine by eliminating the middle man or bucket or whatever it is you store the stuff in until you can find a place to get rid of it.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:34 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / 1997 Toyota 4Runner LTD (Draw-Tite WDH
Lynn, you might consider Wag Bags.

They are a no-smell, no-mess (really, no smell at all! it's astounding) solution to using the toilet in the absence of a toilet. You can buy them on-line (google "wag bag") or at REI.

as they are somewhat costly, I wouldn't use them for peeing but they are an excellent solution to the other toilet need. We don't ever use our Casita toilet for anything other than peeing and have used the wag bags a few times when we've been boondocking in areas where there are no toilets and it's not possible to dig a deep toilet with our trusty trowel.
E. Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:18 PM   #4

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Do you have a little cubby under the front gacho? the theford 135 is a perfect fit . when i had my Scamp 13..
I got mine at Walmart alot cheaper than this one shown..... I used it at nite only... but used the public restrooms during the day...

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...requestid=59158
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:52 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi, Lynn - and congratulations on finding a Scamp 'just right for you'! We also travel with a 13 footer. Our porta-pottie is used at night, and only for liquid waste if possible. Wouldn't want to be without it! The rest of the time we take advantage of campground facilities, etc.

The "wag-bag" sounds interesting, but (according to Christi's post) for about the same price you won't regret having your porta-pottie when you need it. And FYI, if you use chemicals remember to buy a formaldahyde-free one, since some places are banning dumping due to system damage caused by that stuff.

We wish you safe travels and many happy memories. Regards, L 'n D
Old 06-07-2008, 01:25 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Unless the wag-bag is bio-degradable, you may have a hard time disposing of it.

Unlike Byron, I carry a porta-potti, but I seldom used it (I have a laundry jug for a yellow-water tank). However, as a Full Timer, there were a few occasions (cold and snow, cold and rain, sick!!, when the Weekenders stayed at home, I was at home in the CG) when I just didn't want to use the CG facilities, and the pot was a Good Thing to have.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 04:42 PM   #7

Trailer: Bigfoot 21ft (25B21RB)
we use coleman porta pottie, in ours.. Its in there, but we have never used it yet..
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:42 PM   #8

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Sort of like Wag Bags, but great for #1, are Travel John bags. They work for female anatomy and will get you through the night when you don't want to trek to the campground restrooms.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:55 PM   #9

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
In the Burro, we had a porta-potty that came out just before bedtime. When I needed it, it was usually dark anyway. The rest of the time, I used the campground facilities. Porta-potties don't cost much at Wally World.
In the UHaul, even with the privacy room, we still use the porta-potty only when we need it. Anything else would be an "only when I absolutly have to."

CindyL
Old 06-08-2008, 07:05 PM   #10

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Porta Potties are not what you would expect if you have never used one. I was a bit skeptical when I first got one, swearing I would use it at nite etc only.

When I learned how easy they were to deal with, and none of the horrible things you *Think* might happen with one didn't, I ended up using it all the time.

It's well worth the 60 or so bone investment.

Go for it now.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 08:48 PM   #11

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / 1997 Toyota 4Runner LTD (Draw-Tite WDH
Wag Bags are completely bio-degradeable. You are meant to throw them in the trash bin when you leave your campground.

They are now the only "toilet facilities" permitted in some backcountry camping areas (what you carry in, you carry out --- literally).

E.
E. Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:23 PM   #12

Trailer: 1973 16 ft Amerigo
Send a message via Yahoo to sherry loving o
Unhappy

Quote:
we use coleman porta pottie, in ours.. Its in there, but we have never used it yet..

we also use a porta potty. I bought a potty/shower tent and put it behind the trailer. The tent is huge, private, and locks. the porta potty is the way to go (#1).......My potty fits perfect when traveling, in the cabinet under the bunk. We rarely use it but, when it's dark and cold it comes in handy.
sherry loving o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:27 PM   #13

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp ('Dacha' Russian summer house) / 2006 Tacoma V6
Quote:
we also use a porta potty. I bought a potty/shower tent and put it behind the trailer. The tent is huge, private, and locks. the porta potty is the way to go (#1).......My potty fits perfect when traveling, in the cabinet under the bunk. We rarely use it but, when it's dark and cold it comes in handy.
If you have ever been in a hospital they give away disposable urinals with snap on lids. Perfect for night time relief. Dump it in the morning where your conscience allows.
jim munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:26 PM   #14

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
The one Jim mentions: I have one, somewhat transparently green in color, with a wide white lid. Very ergonomic if you know what I mean, and seriously useful.

For transporting to the loos for dumping purposes I plan to use a Sharpie to write "Apple Juice" on one side and "Iced Tea" on the other. That should do it.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:17 AM   #15

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / Chevy Astrovan
Still have a "porta-john", complete with a "lady jill adapter", from our flying around Alaska days. It certainly worked for emergencies, but I'd recommend just going ahead and getting the porta-potti.
Connie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:02 PM   #16

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
Angry

We are going to get a pora potti too, and I was trying to find any info on how you dispose of the waste?? I hate to ask, but where do you get rid of it?
April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:23 PM   #17

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
We are going to get a pora potti too, and I was trying to find any info on how you dispose of the waste?? I hate to ask, but where do you get rid of it?
Down a pit toilet or flushy if available. NOT in a garbage can or under the shrubs OR, if you're truly boondocking and have to empty the pot, do as backpackers do and dig a pit (away from any waterway and pour into the pit, covering it back up thoroughly.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:28 PM   #18

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Thetford Porta Potti 135

If you look at the picture in the link, the unit separates into 2 parts at the dark band. The supply tank, flusher, and bowl are in the top part, and the holding tank is in the bottom part. Just separate the top, and the closed bottom tank can be carried so it's contents can be dumped into a toilet.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:47 PM   #19

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
I must be doing something wrong with our Thetford 135, as I can't seem to be able to empty it without making a small mess. The waste just .. um, well... gushes out, and there is always a bit of splashing involved especially when dumping into a toilet. Bad technique, or lack of practice?
Old 09-23-2008, 08:01 PM   #20

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
I must be doing something wrong with our Thetford 135, as I can't seem to be able to empty it without making a small mess. The waste just .. um, well... gushes out, and there is always a bit of splashing involved especially when dumping into a toilet. Bad technique, or lack of practice?

I don't have the Thetford, I have the one that they sell at Canadian Tire, I found if I don't open the "air valve" it splashes all over, with the valve closed, much better.
brendadave is offline   Reply With Quote