Preservation, Restoration & Renovation - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2020, 07:49 PM   #1

Name: Shannon
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Texas
Registry
Preservation, Restoration & Renovation

I had assumed that I would find a ratty trailer with that smell when I got my first egg. I had assumed that I would be doing at least a floor upgrade, replacing non-functional appliances, and redoing the soft surfaces if we weren't in for a full gut and renovation.

Turns out I bought a trailer with a beyond useable, very original interior.

Is there intrinsic value in the original interior of older fiberglass travel trailers? I think that the old wood interiors of the canned hams are desirable. Is this true of our trailers as well?

My own thoughts are driven by classic cars. I currently have a 1979 Plymouth Trailduster with a the original interior. Now that we've handled the fire hazards, I'm fully in preservation mode with it.
Trailduster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:11 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Probably not. For the most part these were economy-grade trailers and many of the materials and finishes are tacky, dated, and fake. Craftsmanship in RVs had largely gone by the wayside by the 70’s and 80’s. Lots of dark fake woodgrain paneling from that era cries out for a coat of paint or a complete rebuild.

If you have an exception that’s built out with solid wood and quality veneers, there might some be value in preservation. In most cases a tasteful resto-mod will increase its value.

What do you have?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 08:01 AM   #3

Texas
Registry
It is a Fiber Stream in shockingly good shape.
Old 11-22-2020, 08:48 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
I think the fact our trailers are easy to repair and reno is what makes them popular.
If you plan on using it and are comfortable with its present condition enjoy!!
We modified ours to fit our needs.
I really like Fiberstreams but it probably wouldn't stay original no matter how good the condition.
Fred
Old 11-22-2020, 08:49 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I think I know the one, and I agree- it's a perfect time warp. Congratulations on a great find!

I haven't personally inspected the original interior of a Fiberstream, but my impression is the dark woodgrain cabinetry is the simulated stuff. I don't see any compelling reason to preserve it unless it gives you personal pleasure. At least it doesn't need to be rebuilt. It's a very usable layout as-is. Maybe at least wait a bit before making any big changes,
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 10:01 AM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
#1 reason I kept original cushion fabric and curtains on my trailer is they were in good shape. Why spend money when they are fine? I did replace old foam.

My spending thus far has been on addressing known issues.

I do like the "look" of the original fabrics. Goes with the period of the trailer.

Now the vinyl covered particle board cabinet doors? I replaced some with cabinet grade birch plywood and I painted them all a color that fit the period and went with the original fabrics. Keeping mediocre stuff like the old power center just because it was original? No thanks, it had to go. Ditto the original orange shag carpet and the original incandescent lights (melted, cracked, inefficient, not enough light, and so on).

1977 Trillium Painted Cabinet Doors by wrk101, on Flickr
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:52 PM   #7

Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Maybe at least wait a bit before making any big changes,
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
My spending thus far has been on addressing known issues.
Absolutely. We think it is going to be campable as is, provided we can find a spot. As always, safety first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Ditto the original orange shag carpet
I may or may not have been into that

Tags
renovation