Pricing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #1

Name: Elizabeth
Trailer: Contemplating a purchase
California
Smile Pricing

I am sorry if there is already a thread on this, I find it hard to do a "search" and find exactly what I am looking for.
Is there a general rule for pricing of a used trailer?
Going to look at a 2001 16ft deluxe Scamp tomorrow with a sales price of $11000, seems way too high to me - what do you think?
Thanks!!
Lizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I'd suggest looking at this site at sold trailers and zero in on a fair price range.

Fiberglass RVs SOLD | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

A lot comes down to the trailer condition, improvements made (or made poorly), options ordered when new (bath, shower, refrigerator) and local market conditions.

Trailers are a little more like a house than a car - it is not so much the year built as the overall condition and how move-in-ready it is.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #3

California
Thanks Tom! I didn't think of looking at sold unit. So far, what I see does confirm my thoughts that this particular trailer is priced too high.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #4

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I sold my 2007 Scamp Deluxe last summer for $11,500. I would not pay more than $8000 for a yr 2001 and that is only if it is in almost perfect condition. Two years ago I sold my 2000 Deluxe Casita for $7800 and both my campers were spotless. Even smelled new.
Seems they are going for higher prices now, but just to let you know I did have my 2000 for sale for $9,500 with the thoughts of someone offering less (which everyone seems to do).
I wish I had NOT sold mine.
I would offer less as I think this one is high priced. However lately if you snooze you loose if price is right. It all depends on what you are willing to pay.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #5

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
When Purchasing: First, get their price then look it over and if their price is higher than NADA then pull out your printout from NADA and haggle from there. Reason: Because they are always LOW on the value of a Fiberglass camper.

When Selling: If someone Quotes NADA your reply is We don't go by NADA because they are always low on Fiberglass Campers value. The actual Fiberglass value is quite abit higher than NADA. The reason for this is because most Fiberglass campers are sold directly to people from the factory or from person to person and rarely from a dealer that handles used campers.

NADA stands for National Automotive Dealers Association and you can look them up on the net.

2011 Scamp Prices, Values & Specs - NADAguides
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
The prices for fiberglass trailers do not follow Blue Book value. They do not lose value as the book states. If you ask too many questions and take too long to decide, you will lose a trailer, especially a 16' one to someone who is willing to pay a higher price.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #7

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Thing is, they can ask what ever they want. Do I think it's a little high? perhaps! But you never know who is right behind you willing to pay the price. So as other's have suggested, you should look at both the sales/sold and referal sales/sold. You can get idea's about where the price ranks among the other trailers around that model year.

But also understand, some people pay 5/6 thousand for a 30 year old F glass.
seen it many times............................

Take the rv check list with you. Good Luck........
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:12 PM   #8

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
This is why I bought new.

Everyone seems to think their fiberglass trailers are gold-plated. $11,000 for a 11 year old trailer? I don't think so! I'd bet you can get a brand-new 16 foot for around $15,000.

Having said this, if I were selling my 2000 side dinette you can bet I'd advertise it for at least $8500, maybe more.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
When Purchasing: .......
When Selling:.........
This reminds me, there is an election coming up.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:22 PM   #10

California
Thank you. This does confirm my thinking - just like Karalyn, I thought OK, I am new to all this, but I don't think I would pay more than 8K a trailer this old. I will see tomorrow how it looks and use the NA... for a reference. All this information is great!!
Old 04-09-2012, 08:04 PM   #11

California
Hi again,

I just received my Scamp brochure in the mail and I was looking more into the pricing. I now, am wondering if the "deluxe" version of this trailer, is the wood interior floor plan with front dinette. It seems that this would add an extra couple $K. Is this accurate for those of you who might have a wood paneled Scamp - would this also add more wt to the trailer?
Old 04-09-2012, 11:13 PM   #12

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
It is simple supply and demand. No book is going to tell you what to pay. The price will vary by availability. Eskimos won't pay much for ice cubes, but you would pay a lot for a glass of water in the desert. $11,000.00 might not be a bad price if it has been well looked after, and is the best one available to you.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:30 AM   #13

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
for a delux 16? i'm guessing he can get that for it if its well cared for.these things do hold value pretty well.

i would shop around and see what they are going for as well as what they have sold for. look at some so you can judge condition. its a bit of a learning curve,,,but not rocket science.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:59 AM   #14

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
RE: Pricing
IMHO it's all about Condition, Condition and Condition.
How different is a 10 y.o. Scamp from a new one? Not much. That said, you might find a 10 y.o. rig in premo condition, with lots of owner improvements done over the years, to come out costing a lot less than a 5 y.o. base model that was used as an apartment for a cigar smoking mother-in-law for the past 3 years!
If a seller is offering a trailer for a lower than average price, I don't mind paying less but, personally, I wouldn't use inaccurate prices guides, such as NADA, to try to force a price down. Remember: Fair is Fair.
BTW: Here is an extensive listing of both For Sale and Sold trailers. Actual selling prices aren't shown, but there are a lot of exampes of asking prices under the "Fiberglass Trailers Sold" pulldown
http://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/node

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:47 AM   #15

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Meyer View Post
This is why I bought new.

Everyone seems to think their fiberglass trailers are gold-plated. $11,000 for a 11 year old trailer? I don't think so! I'd bet you can get a brand-new 16 foot for around $15,000.

Having said this, if I were selling my 2000 side dinette you can bet I'd advertise it for at least $8500, maybe more.

-- Dan Meyer
exactly why i ended up going new. closest i came to the one just like i wanted,,,was only 3,000 less then new exactly like i wanted.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #16

Michigan
yes delux is the wood trim interior,, its beeeuteeeful. thats why i would go for that year in the delux for that price, assuming everything else was the way i wanted it.
now the kicker, my new one picked up at the factory a few weeks ago, not delux, but built the way i wanted,,,,,drum roll please....$11,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
Hi again,

I just received my Scamp brochure in the mail and I was looking more into the pricing. I now, am wondering if the "deluxe" version of this trailer, is the wood interior floor plan with front dinette. It seems that this would add an extra couple $K. Is this accurate for those of you who might have a wood paneled Scamp - would this also add more wt to the trailer?
Old 04-10-2012, 11:54 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
now the kicker, my new one picked up at the factory a few weeks ago, not delux, but built the way i wanted,,,,,drum roll please....$11,500

True, but there is a $$ difference between a 13ft'er and a 16 even new.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #18

Michigan
yes, i should have said that, i think a 16 is a couple grand more,so maybe 13,500? not sure, but thats still cheap in my book,
Old 04-10-2012, 12:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
yes, i should have said that, i think a 16 is a couple grand more,so maybe 13,500? not sure, but thats still cheap in my book,

Haven't checked in awhile but I thought they were more like 16 something? hmmmmmm, might have to check that out.

Frankly, had new been an option when I was buying I would have ordered. But I needed a trailer before they could get one built. Both Casita and Scamp were months out when I was looking, Oliver (my first fiberglass love) wasn't as far out on new builds but didn't have anything in stock either. And Trillium didn't have a bathroom model so " used " it was for us. It all comes down to what someone is willing to pay for what they want. Like I said in an earlier post, people pay good money for 30 year old egg with no bathroom, air etc. To each their own.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:51 PM   #20

Michigan
im old so my numbers are still based on roman numerals,,,lol but i think base price on a 19 footer is somewhere around 16,900. but don't quote me on that. wieght was more of a factor to me then price.