Privately renting? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-04-2017, 07:20 AM   #1

Name: Melody
Trailer: Beachcomber
Alberta
Registry
Privately renting?

Due to financial constraints....and subsequent time constraints, I'm looking into renting my 15ft Beachcomber. I've seen some private ads for doing this. I'm from SK Canada. Other than the worry of having it come back damaged, is there extra liability insurance I should look at? Would love to hear from anyone who has experience with this. Thanks!
Melody beachcomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:40 AM   #2

Name: RandyB
Trailer: The BIG "O"
New Hampshire
If you have the space and set up at home, I'd be more inclined to put it up on Airbnb.

Letting it go out on the road without you can create ALL kinds of problems. Insure everything you can, when they kill someone in a crash, because they lied to you and really had no idea what they doing and blame the trailer brakes, suspension, maintenance etc.. for it, that's a lot to defend against.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:19 AM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody beachcomber View Post
I'm from SK Canada. Other than the worry of having it come back damaged, is there extra liability insurance I should look at? Would love to hear from anyone who has experience with this. Thanks!
I recently posted about a new startup that does the rentals for you.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rvs-79698.html

It might be worth monitoring that thread - Mikmay responded and his son has been doing rentals for a while. I have not gone through the entire website but part of their fees/commission does appear to include all the insurance.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 10:28 AM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Here's a couple examples: 1) Uhaul rented campers back in the late 80's, and after several years learned it was not a good idea and sold them. Our Uhaul had repaired damage that certainly had been done during it's rental life. Some of it jackknife damage because many people have no experience backing up. 2) A friend bought a new motor home about 20 years ago. His comment to me "this is going to pay for itself because the place I bought it from is going to rent it out when I'm not using it". That didn't last long after it sustained some damage and he soon sold it. I think the typical rental customers attitude is, it's not mine, why should I care.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:46 PM   #5

Name: Melody
Trailer: Beachcomber
Alberta
Registry
thanks for your replies.

I will have to contact people who have ads running for theirs to find out (if they're willing to share) how they handle damage and insurance. I've seen some small companies where they have a waiver to sign and charge a damage deposit. Although if the damage deposit is by cheque, there ends up being damage, and the cheque bounces, is a situation I'd be worried about. I've also seen private owners offering their trailer for rent.

I live in a condo and store the trailer at a friend's acreage, outside of a village. There's no reason anyone would want to rent it where it is stored and I can't store it anywhere else without paying for it.

I'll have to check with my insurance for sure to find out if I'd be liable and covered when renting. Maybe if I only rent to people I know and then by word of mouth, it would lessen the potential risks somewhat. I think a lot comes down to who would be held responsible in the event of an accident, the owner or the driver. It's possible that could vary according to country/province.

Unfortunately, I may not be able to hang on to the trailer if I can't generate a little bit of income.
Melody beachcomber is offline   Reply With Quote