Propane cylinder alert - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-02-2017, 03:46 PM   #1
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Propane cylinder alert

Some probably know about this but for those that don't....

I took my 20lb tank into Tractor Supply today to get it refilled only to be turned away. Apparently the recertification time was reduced from 12 years to 10 years effective last January. My 2006 tank is now scrap metal. While the tank can be recertified, the cost is more than a new tank. Not much on line about this but we did find this.

DOT cylinder requalification rule to impact propane marketers : LP Gas

LP Gas Magazine. Go figure.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:24 PM   #2

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
You might try taking it to a place that only sells propane. They might recertify it for a more reasonable amount.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:42 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Some probably know about this but for those that don't....

I took my 20lb tank into Tractor Supply today to get it refilled only to be turned away. Apparently the recertification time was reduced from 12 years to 10 years effective last January. My 2006 tank is now scrap metal. While the tank can be recertified, the cost is more than a new tank. Not much on line about this but we did find this.

LP Gas Magazine. Go figure.
Thanks for the heads up note.
As for me my tank was due last summer (12 years) so I simply bought a new tank. I think the cost was under $30.00, not a bank breaker considering the total trailer investment it's very little.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:57 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
take it to a propane exchange place, like a Blue Rhino dealer and trade it for a tank with a more recent date. Yes I know they don't completely fill the tanks, but you can get a newer tank in the deal.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:23 PM   #5

Name: Patrick
Trailer: 2010 Casita SD
Mississippi
Has anyone seen any data on the failure rate of ones tested at 12 years?
You would like to think this was based on an actual safety issue.
What do people do with the old cylinders if they don't get them recertified?

I am all for it if their was a significant increase in failure between 10 and 12 years.
Patxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:39 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
When I worked for a bulk propane supplier we also filled the 20 lb tanks and those for fork trucks. The inspections were just a visual inspection and then we stamped the current date on them. I had to scrap one of my own when I found rust pits in the bottom. My local transfer station (dump) charges a $5 fee to take old 20 pounders. There's always a lot of them there stacked on pallets. I always wonder why people don't just trade them in at a Blue Rhino dealer. When I was working we had Blue Rhino as a truck lease customer. One driver frequently ran from New England to Virginia with a load of 20's where they had a refurbishing plant where the tanks were inspected and painted, or scrapped if no good. If we needed a tank any of the drivers would give us a full one. I got a few empty 11 pounders one time because they didn't want them.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:52 PM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
take it to a propane exchange place, like a Blue Rhino dealer and trade it for a tank with a more recent date. Yes I know they don't completely fill the tanks, but you can get a newer tank in the deal.
Just another government money making scheme. Like you, I would like to see the failure rate...
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:54 PM   #8

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I just searched and the only useful info I could find was here:

Here is a quote from that write-up and it does not inspire confidence in those who came up with the change (rational justification <- is it a foreign language?):
“We have a practical concern that now marketers must make a change to how they conduct business, how they review and requalify cylinders and how they educate and train employees,” says Sarah Reboli, director of regulatory affairs at NPGA. “The second concern is that this change has come across without any discussion, rationale, justification or evaluation. After the rule had been finalized, we identified that the change quite literally snuck into the back of the rulemaking.”
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:27 PM   #9

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
I just searched and the only useful info I could find was here:

Here is a quote from that write-up and it does not inspire confidence in those who came up with the change (rational justification <- is it a foreign language?):
“We have a practical concern that now marketers must make a change to how they conduct business, how they review and requalify cylinders and how they educate and train employees,” says Sarah Reboli, director of regulatory affairs at NPGA. “The second concern is that this change has come across without any discussion, rationale, justification or evaluation. After the rule had been finalized, we identified that the change quite literally snuck into the back of the rulemaking.”
Yes......but propane tank manufacturers must be gleeful, jumping for joy. Their potential profit just jumped by approximately 16%.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:15 AM   #10
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I have three tanks, two of which are now obsolete. A local gas company does recertification of tanks but apparently it takes several weeks for them to get to them and the cost is higher than a new tank. An exchange tank is $30 and comes with 15 lbs of gas. A new tank, filled, is less than $40 at Tractor Supply. They seem to be the only place around here that meters gas and charges the current rate per gallon ($2.19). Everywhere else is a flat fee, typically $16- $20. I feel bad for the young lady who had to tell us about the law change. She's already had some arguments and the season is just getting started.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:09 AM   #11

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
While working in Campgrounds we took a 3 hour course, given by local propane dealer so we knew the basics of Propane and the filling of propane bottles.
We had to document the year of bottle every time we filled one for not only the year but the month is stamped on neck.
12 years for new bottle and 10 years for an "E" date or recertified date.
Also visually inspection was required and rust along the bottom lip was also a factor in us not filling a bottle.
Also there was a fact that if we found a bottle that had a blue-ish- stain around the valve not to fill it as the bottle. Bottle was contaminated with HMMM I forgot...it's been years.
When exchanging Bottles at local stores, I check the date on the coller to make sure I will get the longest use for refills at filling stations.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:22 AM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Yup, it's always the messenger that takes the heat, I've been on the other end and it can be rough. Thanks for the info on the rule change...I won't go off on someone if it comes up . On the other hand, I've only had one time that someone wouldn't fill my tanks because of a date and the tanks were shinny and looked new but that was at a large LP suppliers outlet. Never had anyone ever even look for dates other than that time. This change may end up being a non issue unless your tanks are rusty, dunno.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:48 AM   #13

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
You can find pretty much anything on the internet

Old 05-03-2017, 05:51 AM   #14

Name: RandyB
Trailer: The BIG "O"
New Hampshire
That's awesome!

http://www.burnedbydesign.com/
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:18 AM   #15

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Yup, it's always the messenger that takes the heat, I've been on the other end and it can be rough. Thanks for the info on the rule change...I won't go off on someone if it comes up . On the other hand, I've only had one time that someone wouldn't fill my tanks because of a date and the tanks were shinny and looked new but that was at a large LP suppliers outlet. Never had anyone ever even look for dates other than that time. This change may end up being a non issue unless your tanks are rusty, dunno.
I don't see how this would become a non-issue. A law is a law and it only can be changed by Congress or, sometimes, by a good executive order. Our cost will jump instantly. I am simply stating the fact, no more than that.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:52 AM   #16

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
This is not a new rule but has been in effect for awhile. I had taken that course back in 2008 and some of the bottles I seen were stamped as early as 1990.
The rust on outside is just one factor when they test the bottle to be recertified. The OPD valve has to work properly and leaks on the purge port.
The documentation and inspection is for you safty and the protection of the establishment and person, yes we had to sign the ledger too, filling bottle.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:20 AM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
People being what they are, you may be able to find someone, somewhere, who will go ahead and fill an out-of-date tank. Most of the time, no harm comes of it.

I recall a few months after OPD valves first became mandatory, an employee at a local RV park filled my non-OPD tank in violation of the law and warned me about the new rule. I doubt you would find anyone overlooking that rule now.

When there is a rule change, there is a time of adjustment, and you may find some laxity (or grace, perhaps) in enforcement. Eventually liability insurance carriers have their way.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:23 AM   #18

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
As far as I know, it has always been 10 years in Canada.
I had my 10# tank recertified about 3 years ago. My understanding this involves a visual inspection (no rust or damage), they put on a new valve, do a pressure test, and stamp a new date on the collar. Cost me $40 including a purge and refill. Good for another 10 years. Cheaper than buying a new 10# (abt 65$).

A refill costs about $7 or $8 for a 20# around here, flat rate, half as much for my 10#.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:58 AM   #19

Name: Ralph
Trailer: Scamp
Pennsylvania
Just to add to the confusion

DOT halts 10-year cylinder requalification enforcement during review
DOT halts 10-year cylinder requalification enforcement during review : LP Gas

I tried to find the current rules on the DOT website but what I found was unintelligible.
cookie_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:56 AM   #20

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
^This.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane