Propane Regulator - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-10-2020, 10:46 PM   #1

Name: Andrew
Trailer: 1975 Surfside (not Triple E)
British Columbia
Propane Regulator

So I was on my trip and day 5 of 14 the regulator went. I am not a gas fitter and this was my first ever trip with a travel trailer and out of cell range, but it seemed obvious to me that the regulator was the issue. It is a basically new Fairview GasFlo 2 stage regulator typical setup (I believe).

So being out there a bit and panicking about my fridge and being able to cook I went to a hardware store and saw the single stage BBQ type regulators that reduce pressure to same 11" WC and decided to hack it into place, using the correct fittings, teflon tape etc of course. It worked like a charm and the trip went smooth. I was not worried about flow since I use much less than a BBQ in my surfside with no hot water. I was also down about 1/2 tank of propane and not super concerned about high pressure requiring a vent situation and I safely positioned everything while driving.

Cant find any information online on why you HAVE to use a 2 stage but to be safe I am ordering a new one .

So my question is: Did I do something horribly unsafe?

My main concern is that I am not certain the new 2 stage will be here before my next trip in Aug so I may need to consider using the same setup.

I did get cell reception at one point and checked and came up with very little information
kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 12:48 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Black Series HQ19
Smith Valley, Nevada
I doubt you will ever be able to tell the difference in performance between a single stage and a dual stage regulator. Single is fine.

Probably the only time there would be a measurable difference would be under extreme flow rates or with extreme, high or low, tank temperatures.
Old 07-11-2020, 12:15 PM   #3

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Yellow tape?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
Teflon tape etc of course.
Did you use YELLOW Teflon tape? yellow tape is designed for gas-line use.
May not be a big deal out in the wind.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane