Propane tank problem - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-22-2021, 07:46 PM   #21
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
stuck propane tank valve

they are lots of jokes interspersed among the comments, I read many of the topics just to get a giggle when I’m in the middle of a dry spell.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 05:06 AM   #22

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Forums are great.. you can learn so much. I recently read some really interesting stuff about a stolen election.. And if its on the Internet then you know is true.
FGRV is on and is part of the Internet so everything you read in this Forum consequently is true? So if one individual states something it would be true? But then another person posts an opinion that contradicts the other persons “true” statement. Obviously, both statements cannot be true. So which thread participant is the moron? Would it be the first or the second?

Over many years, I have heard people make statements based on perception that they would “never” do something. Often, there is no justification for their reluctance. Maybe, as Jim Croce sang, “You don’t piss into the wind….” But in a lot of cases it is like a situation when someone flat out doesn’t like broccoli when, in reality, that person has NEVER tasted broccoli. There are still people who will claim you should never store a battery on a concrete surface.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 06:08 AM   #23
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
FGRV is on and is part of the Internet so everything you read in this Forum consequently is true? So if one individual states something it would be true? But then another person posts an opinion that contradicts the other persons “true” statement. Obviously, both statements cannot be true. So which thread participant is the moron? Would it be the first or the second?

Over many years, I have heard people make statements based on perception that they would “never” do something. Often, there is no justification for their reluctance. Maybe, as Jim Croce sang, “You don’t piss into the wind….” But in a lot of cases it is like a situation when someone flat out doesn’t like broccoli when, in reality, that person has NEVER tasted broccoli. There are still people who will claim you should never store a battery on a concrete surface.
I see that when I read the posts. When I see something which appears useful, I look for validation in other posts or articles. Rarely does one person have an idea which hasn’t been explored somewhere.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 10:12 AM   #24
ABK

Name: AB
Trailer: Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
I have a 2 year old 20 lb propane tank that was filled last fall. I connected it up to my trailer to check the fridge. Worked fine so I shut the tank off. Later, I wanted to test the stove. Turned the tank on and nothing. I did the OPD reset twice. Nothing. I swapped the tank from my grill. It works fine on the trailer but the trailer tank won't work on the grill. And yes, the tank is full per the scale on my Weber. Any suggestions?
From time to time I experience a similar situation. I was not very patient and the gas flow from the tank to the burner of the stove took longer than I had anticipated. After a while when I gave it a little extra time the stove fired up. Had a similar issue with the furnace also. Both are working as they should presently.
ABK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 11:30 AM   #25

Name: Josh
Trailer: 74, 13' Boler
Alberta
You can burp the tank and see if propane comes out. Maybe don't smoke while you do this and don't stand near an open flame. Just crack the valve and see if propane comes out.

If it does, then you probably have a bad regulator on your RV. The regulator is supposed to drop tank pressure down to 11" of water column pressure. To check your regulator you'd have to find someone with the tool to test.
Josh Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 03:08 PM   #26

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Robinson View Post
You can burp the tank and see if propane comes out... Just crack the valve and see if propane comes out.
I assume you mean to "burp the tank" when it is not connected to the hose... But if propane comes out when you do that then you have a bad tank / valve.

OPD Valve Design
OPD valve looking at connection
The design of the OPD valve is such that turning the cylinder service valve handwheel will not produce any effect if the cylinder is not hooked up to an appliance. In other words, a connection must be made between the appliance hose end and the cylinders service valve. The inside of the OPD valve is engineered to only allow propane in or out if the internal valve is actuated by being depressed. This OPD valve feature adds additional safety in case the handwheel is turned, opening the valve. For this reason, OPD equipped cylinders will not allow gas out of the cylinder when opened.

Source: https://www.propane101.com/valveopennopropane.htm
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane