Propane tank problem - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2021, 02:09 PM   #1
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Propane tank problem

I have a 2 year old 20 lb propane tank that was filled last fall. I connected it up to my trailer to check the fridge. Worked fine so I shut the tank off. Later, I wanted to test the stove. Turned the tank on and nothing. I did the OPD reset twice. Nothing. I swapped the tank from my grill. It works fine on the trailer but the trailer tank won't work on the grill. And yes, the tank is full per the scale on my Weber. Any suggestions?
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 03:30 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
I guess by the OPD test you said means that you turned the tank off then when hooked up you turned the tank on very slow... that is only suggestion I can give. if still not working in maybe a bad valve on tank.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 03:35 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I think I read somewhere recently that the valve can stick occasionally and can be unstuck by dropping it a short distance onto a hard surface.
Old 05-17-2021, 03:41 PM   #4

never heard this and be interested to know if it works as I have several tanks in campground that do not open.
Old 05-17-2021, 03:58 PM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
never heard this and be interested to know if it works as I have several tanks in campground that do not open.
I think (and hope) that Glenn was joking. Don't drop your propane tanks.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 03:59 PM   #6

Thanks ...I knew that.
Old 05-17-2021, 04:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post

Nope wasn't a joke. I read it recently on a forum ( for what thats worth ).
Here's the thread:
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...uck-20165.html
Old 05-17-2021, 07:01 PM   #8

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Nope wasn't a joke. I read it recently on a forum ( for what thats worth ).
Here's the thread:
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...uck-20165.html
Forums are great.. you can learn so much. I recently read some really interesting stuff about a stolen election.. And if its on the Internet then you know is true.

In reading the thread you linked to.. it seems that the problem seemed to that the tank's owner's didn't have the strength to turn the stuck valve handle. Jon made the suggestion to swap the tank at a tank exchange (implying that you take the < US$ 20 loss for the propane). I thought the same thing. The tank exchange company will check the tank, repair and certify as needed, and resell it. It seems to be the simplest solution. The other option is to take it to a propane tank supplier. But subjecting a high pressure cylinder to uncontrolled impacts is last on my list of good ideas (except maybe for heating the valve with a torch to loosen it).
Old 05-17-2021, 07:23 PM   #9

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
Thanks ...I knew that.
No, he wasn’t joking. Holding the tank upright, drop it about 1 foot on a solid surface. It frequently works. Swapping it out is the last resort, unless you don’t mind losing whatever you paid for the propane. You are not dropping it off of a 10 story building.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 09:27 PM   #10

If propane tanks were that fragile, there would be RVs blowing up on every washboard road and at every pothole. They would be covered in stickers; "FRAGILE", "DO NOT DROP", "NOT FOR INTERNAL COMBUSTION".
Old 05-18-2021, 06:03 AM   #11

North Carolina
OK seems people like to drop the tanks on concrete.. but I stand by my statement.. its not the best option and I would rather take the <$20 loss and exchange the tank, or get it repaired.
But lets ask Blue Rhino, perhaps the largest supplier of propane tanks for RV use:
My handwheel won't turn on. What can I do?

The first thing to do is to make sure you are turning it clockwise. The next step is to determine if it is already open. Sometimes, with a new OPD, there is a shallow rise from OPEN to CLOSED. It might look closed but may have been shipped open. Since gas won't come out unless a tank with an OPD is hooked to an appliance, it won't leak. And IF the tank is hooked up to a grill that was turned to the ON position, it may have "shut down" when it was hooked up just like what happens in the improper grill lighting procedure. In this case the gas suddenly is released to go forward and the valve detects that it is going too fast so if shuts itself down. The remedy: shut everything off, wait one minute, open the tank valve, turn the grill to the LIGHT position, attempt to light.

If the valve is still stuck, a small bit of oil applied to the stem will help loosen it up.

Do NOT use a wrench since too much torque may result in the valve coming apart.

For further assistance, please call our Customer Care Center at 1.800.BLU.RINO.

(They did not mention dropping the tank)
Old 05-18-2021, 07:01 AM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
I do not know the internal design of the tanks or valves but I can tell you that I recently had a tank that would open normally but not let the gas go into the hose. I had heard of the drop the tank method and tried it on turfgrass a couple times. No joy. So I got my rubber hammer, turned the tank upside down on a picnic table seat, thumped the bottom about 10 times, not crazy hard. Then I hooked it back up and opened the valve. First I just barely cracked the valve and saw the line move ever so slightly when it pressurized, then I opened it all the way verrrey slowly. Joy! So that’s my experience. I have considerable respect for compressed gasses in a cylinder but I also know they can take a fair amount of jostling. When I run onto a problem with a propane tank or I get close to the tank code date, I take it to a large propane dealer and find “the guy on the dock” and he can usually help me or he replaces the tank. A couple years ago I took a tank ready to expire into the Amerigas dealer. He gave me a new tank at just the charge for the gas so no cost to me. Easy does it.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 07:07 AM   #13

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
... First I just barely cracked the valve and saw the line move ever so slightly when it pressurized, then I opened it all the way verrrey slowly. Joy!..
I would bet that banging on the tank had no effect and the part of your post I quoted above was the solution.
Old 05-18-2021, 07:13 AM   #14
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Problem solved

These tanks are designed to fall off trucks so dropping it was not a concern. Unfortunately, it didn't work. Also I could hear the float inside the tank, so I figured my OPD valve was not the problem. If you look inside the valve connection there is an O ring. Inside the O ring is a cup. With the gas valve off, I pushed the edge of the cup with a screw driver and a small amount of propane came out. When you connect to the appliance, that cup gets pushed in. This insures that no propane can flow without a connection should you accidentally turn the valve. Mine must have been stuck. Works fine now. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210518_084744.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	140946Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210518_085913.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	140947
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 07:19 AM   #15

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Raz... Glad you only had a stuck whatsit!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 07:23 AM   #16

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I do not know the internal design of the tanks or valves but I can tell you that I recently had a tank that would open normally but not let the gas go into the hose. I had heard of the drop the tank method and tried it on turfgrass a couple times. No joy. So I got my rubber hammer, turned the tank upside down on a picnic table seat, thumped the bottom about 10 times, not crazy hard. Then I hooked it back up and opened the valve. First I just barely cracked the valve and saw the line move ever so slightly when it pressurized, then I opened it all the way verrrey slowly. Joy! So that’s my experience. I have considerable respect for compressed gasses in a cylinder but I also know they can take a fair amount of jostling. When I run onto a problem with a propane tank or I get close to the tank code date, I take it to a large propane dealer and find “the guy on the dock” and he can usually help me or he replaces the tank. A couple years ago I took a tank ready to expire into the Amerigas dealer. He gave me a new tank at just the charge for the gas so no cost to me. Easy does it.
Iowa Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... Aah... The old hammer trick. Worked for a stuck TV camera on the moon too!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 07:33 AM   #17

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
When I have a problem I usually try about three or four things together and when it woks, I don’t know what I did but I am happy to succeed. I had one of those gaskets stick a few years ago. Back to the “man in the dock” who switched me out with a full tank. He said “I can recover the propane so no charge.” Just don’t forget where we are. I’ve dealt with them for over 40 years. They are six blocks from where I grew up on Young’s Hill and attended Stinkin Lincoln Elementary School.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 12:29 PM   #18

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
A dropped tank from a foot or so will not cause it to blow up. Propane tanks are very sturdy. In fact after reading this entire column I found it interesting that on I-25 between Denver and Colorado Springs a semi carrying a bunch of propane tanks rolled on its side spilling the tanks all over. None spewed or exploded. This happened Tuesday May 18. Check it out if you want on KKTV Channel 11 news in Colorado Springs. Another driver caused the wreck and to prevent from hitting the other car the semi driver went into the ditch. I've also seen trailers wreck and roll over and not have a problem with a tank at all.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 04:44 PM   #19

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Thanks never heard of this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Problem solved

These tanks are designed to fall off trucks so dropping it was not a concern. Unfortunately, it didn't work. Also I could hear the float inside the tank, so I figured my OPD valve was not the problem. If you look inside the valve connection there is an O ring. Inside the O ring is a cup. With the gas valve off, I pushed the edge of the cup with a screw driver and a small amount of propane came out. When you connect to the appliance, that cup gets pushed in. This insures that no propane can flow without a connection should you accidentally turn the valve. Mine must have been stuck. Works fine now. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Attachment 140946Attachment 140947
Will check it out could come in handy some cold night.
Old 05-22-2021, 12:30 PM   #20

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Quote:
Forums are great.. you can learn so much. I recently read some really interesting stuff about a stolen election.. And if its on the Internet then you know is true.

In reading the thread you linked to.. it seems that the problem seemed to that the tank's owner's didn't have the strength to turn the stuck valve handle. Jon made the suggestion to swap the tank at a tank exchange (implying that you take the < US$ 20 loss for the propane). I thought the same thing. The tank exchange company will check the tank, repair and certify as needed, and resell it. It seems to be the simplest solution. The other option is to take it to a propane tank supplier. But subjecting a high pressure cylinder to uncontrolled impacts is last on my list of good ideas (except maybe for heating the valve with a torch to loosen it).
Heating the valve with a torch was a joke right???????
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane