Propane - Typical usage and exchange or purchase? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-18-2020, 12:09 PM   #21

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
In Iowa we have Do It Best Hardware stores. I can take an expired tank to them and they will recertify it for $5. I think that certification is good for another 5 years. I don’t know what you get for $5. I think it’s a pressure test and checking the valve for leaks. On the larger 20 lb tanks I go to a regular propane supplier. They will take your expired tank and give you your choice of about 30 tanks that are full and on the dock. I spin the collar till I find one good for several years via the manufacturers stamp. That’s the one I trade for. Last year I got a brand new tank that was manufactured in April and it was about May 20. I keep the smaller 10 lb tank in the front box on our Escape. I happen to run with both 20 lb tanks open. If I were to run out I could hook up the 10 to get me through the night but never have had to. Old guys in Hardware stores like to fill tanks if the weather is decent. It gets them out of the store for a few minutes. They never seem disappointed when called to the front of the store.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 02:58 PM   #22

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
You will likely be good for 3 weeks on a 20# tank if you don't run the furnace. The fridge is essentially a pilot light.

On our Trillium we travel with two 20# tanks and a spare green 1#.

One 20# stays connected to the trailer for fridge/stove/furnace. We usually put a full tank on in the fall for when we are likely to need the furnace.

The other 20# we tow on the trailer but put it in a milk crate on site. That gets connected to a propane tree & is used for a lantern, camp stove & BBQ.
This tank also serves as a backup for the trailer tank.

If this tank runs out or gets moved to the trailer we can use the backup 1# tank.

Never had a problem getting an exchange tank getting filled anywhere because it has the same fittings. On occasion some have expired. We have a collection of owned & exchange tanks with 2 trailers and a BBQ @ home.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:44 PM   #23

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith Neville View Post
Will someone please explain the expiring tanks? I have a small 5# tank I kept from my Puck. I know it is expired. What is involved in renewing it? I don't have to buy a whole new tank do I?
You have to take your tank to a propane place for an inspection and pay them to do it. Cost varies by person you take it to. They will put a new expiration date on it. Not sure what all they do to it but it only takes a few minutes. You do not have to buy a new tank.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 07:44 PM   #24

Name: Tim
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Here in Canada the exchange program may be convenient but at a ridiculous price. They charge $30 for the exchange. From Costco, you can get a 20lb tank that has a gauge on it for $36...and they fill it the first time for you for that cost. On top of that, I have never spend more than $10 to refill a 20lb tank at Costco. Now if they would only sell the 30lb tank with a gauge on it.... Still the best deal going.
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:02 AM   #25

Name: Zac
Trailer: Surfside
Ontario
X2 for Costco in Canada. By far best place to fill and buy tanks.
Zac
zac w. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:42 AM   #26

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
propane on a trip

I have quit the hauling to the store or going to tractor supply. I start out with a full tank for a trip and as I get the feeling I am running low don't use much as we run a Wave 3 for heat we get it filled.

Usually hit a truck stop and have it filled no more than $15.00 really don't care what it costs as long as it stays reasonable!

Matter of fact we had a 2 tank rack I took it off and went to one tank. We have never ran out!
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 09:01 AM   #27

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escapeó 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Living in a rural area your choices are limited so when it’s below zero and your out of propane , price is not a major consideration
Sorta the same way when camping and I run out of propane , I go to the closest place that has propane and get the tanked filled
Driving to the closest Costco which in our case is 100 miles away or trying to find a station that sells propane by the pound is a waste of time & energy .
It’s kind of like driving 20 miles off the interstate to save 2 cents/ gallon on fuel
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 09:29 AM   #28

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Lived in rural America all my life (OK, a year in Minneapolis). NEVER have had a problem finding a place to fill our tanks. Last year I'm guessing we filled a tank 20+ times (198 nights in the camper). We fill every time we empty a tank, not wait until both are empty, even though we carry a 13#, normal height tank to use at the picnic table.

We've always loved camping in the shoulder seasons and go through a tank of LP in about a week, so buying LP is a big deal to us. The furnace can go though a lot of gas when the temps are below 40.

Before iphones, we'd just go to the local gas station and ask where the nearest LP gas dealer was located. 99% of the time they fill our tanks. Since we got our iphones we simply google "LP gas supply." Works every time. I don't remember ever having an LP gas supply charge us a bulk rate, always by the gallon. OTOH, many LP gas suppliers are closed Sunday for sure and some on Saturday. So if you only carry one tank that can be a problem.

Exchange tanks work for some and I understand the convenience. For us, finding an LP supplier is kind of like geocaching.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs - 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, that we regret selling, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we also regret selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 10:07 AM   #29

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
agree

steve I have to agree thus my new way of thinking why unhook the tank drive 30m to get it filled when I can hit a truck stop. no hassle no worries!

bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Living in a rural area your choices are limited so when itís below zero and your out of propane , price is not a major consideration
Sorta the same way when camping and I run out of propane , I go to the closest place that has propane and get the tanked filled
Driving to the closest Costco which in our case is 100 miles away or trying to find a station that sells propane by the pound is a waste of time & energy .
Itís kind of like driving 20 miles off the interstate to save 2 cents/ gallon on fuel
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 10:35 AM   #30

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escapeó 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Lived in rural America all my life (OK, a year in Minneapolis). NEVER have had a problem finding a place to fill our tanks. Last year I'm guessing we filled a tank 20+ times (198 nights in the camper). We fill every time we empty a tank, not wait until both are empty, even though we carry a 13#, normal height tank to use at the picnic table.

We've always loved camping in the shoulder seasons and go through a tank of LP in about a week, so buying LP is a big deal to us. The furnace can go though a lot of gas when the temps are below 40.

Before iphones, we'd just go to the local gas station and ask where the nearest LP gas dealer was located. 99% of the time they fill our tanks. Since we got our iphones we simply google "LP gas supply." Works every time. I don't remember ever having an LP gas supply charge us a bulk rate, always by the gallon. OTOH, many LP gas suppliers are closed Sunday for sure and some on Saturday. So if you only carry one tank that can be a problem.

Exchange tanks work for some and I understand the convenience. For us, finding an LP supplier is kind of like geocaching.

Enjoy,

Perry
We have one place that refills small propane tanks within 30 miles of our residence. They sell propane at a set rate based on the size of the tank
They do not sell propane by the pound or gallon unless you are making a bulk purchase such as a home heating tank ( 250 - 500- 1000 gallon tank )
They charge a flat rate of $15 to fill a 20 lb tank
There is a place in Superior Wi that sells propane by the gallon or $11 to fill a empty 20 lb tank . The problem is that it is a 60 mile drive to Superior
My point was if you need propane and heat in your trailer then at some point saving a couple bucks on propane is meaningless
I guess if I was going through 20 or 30 tanks of propane per year with my trailer I would be more price conscious but we only go through 2 or 3 tanks per year
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 12:35 PM   #31

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
It's difficult to determine "typical" usage. I can tell you my experiences. Trailer is 13' 16,000btu furnace, propane fridge and propane cook surface.
So much depends on the weather. Colder weather more propane usage Furnace runs more in colder weather. In hot weather the fridge runs more. Usually we cook two meals inside Breakfast and dinner. In weather where the furnace runs more about every 2 weeks I top off the propane. In weather where the furnace doesn't run close to a month.

I do fill before I run out. Missed once.

Tags
propane