Propex pictures & location in 13ft Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-04-2020, 10:52 AM   #1

Name: Gary
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Propex pictures & location in 13ft Scamp

I need suggestions on installing HS2000 propex heater in 13ft Scamp. Location & pics for hot air vents? Thanks, Gary
garthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 12:25 PM   #2

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Don’t have any pictures but I just put one in my 16. Up front under the curb side bunk. Easiest place to get to everything and route the intake, exhaust, and gas missing the frame below. Since I long ago removed the door from under the bunk for quicker access I just bowed the duct around and screwed it to the top corner of the opening next to the shower. Thermostat is mounted above the sink on the back of the closet and works great. The factory thermostat wire was the perfect length. We really enjoy the Propex and I am glad I spent the coin. Which was not cheap all in but I went for a new propane regulator and the quiet ducting and extra outlets. Eventually I plan on routing the duct under the street side cabinet “toe kick” area but that is in the future. For now the unit is mounted and with eth single outlet warms us fine. I was worried that with the outlet a foot off the floor the dog would get to hot laying down there. But since I directed the duct vent up and warm air rises the dog is comfortable on the floor and we are also up in the front bunk and back dinette bed. Feel free to PM with any questions, glad to discuss it with you.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 01:25 PM   #3

Name: Gary
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
13 ft front same as 16 ft.?

My battery wiring comes in on the very front curbside under the front bunk of my 13ft. How hot does the heater get?
garthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 05:19 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by garthom View Post
My battery wiring comes in on the very front curbside under the front bunk of my 13ft. How hot does the heater get?
I would suggest a careful reading of the installation instructions with special attention to venting and clearance requirements. When I read it, I decided that there were few, if any, good options for installing a Propex furnace in my Scamp 16, largely due to the camper having so many appliances, plumbing, etc. if it were a striped down camper it would have been easier but there are still many things to consider such as safe distances from the exhaust to any window, etc. I would not be surprised if some people have taken some shortcuts or liberties with their Propex installations. I elected to use the Suburban furnace that Scamp installs even though it is inferior to the Propex.

See:
https://www.propexheatsource.co.uk/pdf/instructions
and
http://westyventures.com/Propex%20In...on%20notes.doc
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 05:42 PM   #5

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by garthom View Post
As long as you have any clearance at all it should not be a problem. My wiring comes in on the street side but think about it this way, the Propex has wiring in it and going to it and it is not a problem so other wires in the vicinity should be fine.

As to the comment above, which I feel was probably directed at me and my installation, I assure you I took no shortcuts in the installation. In fact the reason I now have the Propex is I did not trust the old gas appliances in my Scamp so removed all of them. I thought about and studied the Propex unit and installation a long, long (long) time. The Propex is the only gas appliance I have in the Scamp. But yes, please take this stuff seriously. As one of my dive instructors once said “scuba diving is a serious hobby, you can die”.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 06:32 PM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
As to the comment above, which I feel was probably directed at me and my installation, I assure you I took no shortcuts in the installation. ...
That comment was absolutely not directed to or about your installation. Quite the opposite in fact... I almost referred him to your posts because I do think you did a good job, but I was too lazy to go find the posts.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 05:40 PM   #7

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
as to wiring getting far enough away...
you can buy heat shielding sleeving to put onto the wires. Some of it comes in the form of a wrap that does not need to have the wire slid into it. That stuff is used in a lot of industrial equipment areas and on various types of furnaces, heated equipment, in engine compartments, etc.

There are also sheet good types of heat shielding that go onto an adjacent combustible surface to can help reduce the distance between it and a heater.

Do some research and see what you can find if you are just an inch or two away from being able to make an installation area work for you. Be careful, do good work and use the right stuff for the job per the specifications of the materials.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp