Pulling Doubles - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2008, 07:07 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita
I am thinking about buying a kawaski bayou 250. It weighs 400lbs. I can buy a trailer with 12" wheels that weighs about 200lbs. So that's about 600 lbs.
I was wondering if anyone pulls triples.
I have a 5000lb ranger (when loaded up) and a 3000 lb Casita (I keep it light). I also have a friction sway bar for the truck/trailer

What do you think of a 5000lbs to 3000lbs to 600lb triple?

Juz askin
ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 07:20 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Umm, not for me.

BTW, what you're proposing is pulling double with a third vehicle, not pulling triple, just to keep the terminology straight [grinz].

Illegal in many places, even ones that allow doubles, if front hitch is a ball hitch, not a 5W style.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Umm, not for me.

BTW, what you're proposing is pulling double with a third vehicle, not pulling triple, just to keep the terminology straight [grinz].

Illegal in many places, even ones that allow doubles, if front hitch is a ball hitch, not a 5W style.
Thanks for the input, but...
Every summer month there are hundreds of pickups pulling trailers pulling jet skis out to Lake Powell. Right bye my house.
Not all are 5ths for sure. I am not sure what the weight ratios are. Admittedly they are usually really big trucks pulling medium big RV trailers pulling winkie lil jet ski trailers. But the ratios?.... dunno.
Almost all western states allow triples and as far as I can see they don't limit it to 5ths only. I would be very interested in links that make the distinction.

Yeah.. .not "pulling" a triple... ummm.... wagon mastering a triple! LOL

Ron
Old 01-26-2008, 09:59 PM   #4

Registry
Quote:
Almost all western states allow triples and as far as I can see they don't limit it to 5ths only. I would be very interested in links that make the distinction.

Ron
Ahh, I guess Oregon and Washington aren't western states, eh? <grnz>
Old 01-26-2008, 10:09 PM   #5

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
Thanks for the input, but...
Every summer month there are hundreds of pickups pulling trailers pulling jet skis out to Lake Powell. Right bye my house.
Not all are 5ths for sure. I am not sure what the weight ratios are. Admittedly they are usually really big trucks pulling medium big RV trailers pulling winkie lil jet ski trailers. But the ratios?.... dunno.

Ron
This comes up every year or so. A fifth wheel is NOT required in California. You do need to get a Class A license though.

Here are a couple of examples. Check the laws of the sates you will be towing in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	towing_doubles.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	11485
Attached Thumbnails
towing_doubles3.jpg  
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:25 PM   #6

Trailer: 2008 Airstream Sport 22 / 03 Toyota Tundra (Former 05 Casita Owner)
In California you need a Class A CDL(Commrcial Drivers License) with a doubles endorsement. I quote from the California DMV Recreatioal Vehicles and Trailers Handbook, "No passenger vehicle, pickup truck, or RV may tow more than one other vehicle without a Commercial Class A lecense, with endorsement." There is also a "NOTE: No passenger vehicle regardless of weight, may tow more than one vehicle."

Sam
Sam Halderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 01:01 AM   #7

You are correct Sam about the Class A.

The Casita and doubles I showed were posted here before the hack. The Casita owner researched the law and took the tests with that set up. He lives in Sacramento, CA and took his tests there. He did his homework and is totally legal. Here is what he said:
<blockquote>The ONLY way one can pull two trailers in California is to have a ( not just a class A license ) but a commercial class A lic. with doubles/tripples endorsement. There is a non commercial class A ( mainly for RV reasons ) but there is still a limitation of just one trailer with that lic. In California tripples aren't illegal but they still test for doubles/tripples since other states are legal. There is absolutly no wording what so ever that says you have to have a 5th wheel. I took and passed all the tests and you truckers out there know that these tests are much more difficult than your class C test. ( well that isn't saying much since class C is pretty basic )
my license now reads " CLASS:A M1 ENDORS:T RSTR: 48 64 88

48. LIMITED TO VEHICLES WITHOUT AIR BRAKES WHEN DRIVING COMMERCIALLY
64. CLASS A/B - LIMITED TO VEHICLE WITH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
88. CL A RESTRICTED TO COMBINATION VEHICLES WITH A GCWR OF LESS THAN 26,001 LBS AND THE GVWR OF THE VEHICLES(S) BEING TOWED IS IN EXCESS OF 10,000 LBS

...the "t" in endors stands for tripples ...the three restrictions listed is due to me taking the test in my 2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab AWD/4WD 5.9L with the Casita rather than an actual tractor and trailer.

</blockquote>I hope this helps.

Name:	towing_doubles.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	11495

PS: You are also correct: There is also a "NOTE: No passenger vehicle regardless of weight, may tow more than one vehicle."

He has a 2001 Dodge Dakota. Again if you own a truck, look at the title. His title says "Commercial " and it qualified..
Old 01-27-2008, 11:14 AM   #8

Quote:
You are correct Sam about the Class A.

The Casita and doubles I showed were posted here before the hack. The Casita owner researched the law and took the tests with that set up. He lives in Sacramento, CA and took his tests there. He did his homework and is totally legal. Here is what he said:
<blockquote>The ONLY way one can pull two trailers in California is to have a ( not just a class A license ) but a commercial class A lic. with doubles/tripples endorsement. There is a non commercial class A ( mainly for RV reasons ) but there is still a limitation of just one trailer with that lic. In California tripples aren't illegal but they still test for doubles/tripples since other states are legal. There is absolutly no wording what so ever that says you have to have a 5th wheel. I took and passed all the tests and you truckers out there know that these tests are much more difficult than your class C test. ( well that isn't saying much since class C is pretty basic )
my license now reads " CLASS:A M1 ENDORS:T RSTR: 48 64 88

48. LIMITED TO VEHICLES WITHOUT AIR BRAKES WHEN DRIVING COMMERCIALLY
64. CLASS A/B - LIMITED TO VEHICLE WITH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
88. CL A RESTRICTED TO COMBINATION VEHICLES WITH A GCWR OF LESS THAN 26,001 LBS AND THE GVWR OF THE VEHICLES(S) BEING TOWED IS IN EXCESS OF 10,000 LBS

...the "t" in endors stands for tripples ...the three restrictions listed is due to me taking the test in my 2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab AWD/4WD 5.9L with the Casita rather than an actual tractor and trailer.

</blockquote>I hope this helps.

Attachment 11495

PS: You are also correct: There is also a "NOTE: No passenger vehicle regardless of weight, may tow more than one vehicle."

He has a 2001 Dodge Dakota. Again if you own a truck, look at the title. His title says "Commercial " and it qualified..
Here is a list of states and their towing restrictions
http://www.hitchemup.com/statetowinglaws.htm
Western states seem to be more liberal concerning doubles but each state that allows doubles seems to have their own restrictions or interpretations. California just mentioned.
Utah allows Pickup, trailer, trailer tows with no special drivers license. I think there is a weight/length ratio that must be followed but forgot what it was. Arizona seems liberal also as doubles are pulled into Arizona from Utah.

Anyway its making me nervous thinking about it... maybe if it was lighter.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:20 PM   #9

There are lots of states and provinces, and each has its own set of laws. I was told that in Florida doubles are allowed on the Interstate highways and withing 1/2 mile of an exit, plus the first hitch must be a 5W type (I have also seen this restriction on a Canadian province listing).
Old 01-27-2008, 09:26 PM   #10

Quote:
I think there are some errors on this chart. I asked a Hwy patrolman in Arizona at a coffee shop. The speed limit in Arizona is the same for cars as truckers and towing trailers, 75 mph.

That is much faster then I like to go and I don’t recommend it.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:09 AM   #11

His info may or may not be accurate, depending on whether he had eaten his donut or not
Old 01-28-2008, 12:16 AM   #12

Quote:
His info may or may not be accurate, depending on whether he had eaten his donut or not
Old 01-30-2008, 10:22 PM   #13

Quote:
I think this is a better list of towing information.
http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

Name:	towing_doubles.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	11539
Old 01-31-2008, 09:17 AM   #14

[quote]I think this is a better list of towing information.
http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

Attachment 11539

Ahhh! I have seen that one before! this time I booked marked it. I *knew* I had seen the term "triples" before. That must be the place.
I sure would like to have the footnotes though. There are lots of references to footnotes but no page or footer.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:01 AM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Ahhh! I have seen that one before! this time I booked marked it. I *knew* I had seen the term "triples" before. That must be the place.
I sure would like to have the footnotes though. There are lots of references to footnotes but no page or footer.

Very bottom left side two little rectangle buttons. One "LAWS" the other "FOOTNOTES".
Old 02-01-2008, 11:32 PM   #16

Trailer: 2007 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to ddayton
Quote:
Very bottom left side two little rectangle buttons. One "LAWS" the other "FOOTNOTES".
So much for my powers of observation - I've looked at that chart maybe 10 times and never noticed those links - thanks Byron.

Don
ddayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 11:41 PM   #17

Quote:
So much for my powers of observation - I've looked at that chart maybe 10 times and never noticed those links - thanks Byron.
Don
Even after Byron mentioned where they were I didn’t see them at first. Then I looked below the window on the far left and voila.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:51 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Even after Byron mentioned where they were I didn’t see them at first. Then I looked below the window on the far left and voila.

I must confess that the first time I looked at that sight I found them. The next time I went there I didn't see them and was wondering where the foot notes were, I guess my rememberer sometimes if faulty. Went back again and found them. (It was several months between times is my story and I'm sticking to it.)
Old 02-02-2008, 09:12 PM   #19

Quote:
If "DUH" is not in the dictionary, it should be

tanx
Old 02-03-2008, 12:28 PM   #20

Quote:
If "DUH" is not in the dictionary, it should be
Just don't spell it "DOH" like Bart does -- That's a rude word in Russian!