Pulling Over when Going Slowly - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #1

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Pulling Over when Going Slowly

More of a curiosity question than anything... Whilst on a two-lane highway and pulling a trailer slows you down so traffic is backing up do you regularly pull over to let folks pass?

Added--- BTW, we do!
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Yes. In some states there is a law on how many cars you can stack behind you, but it is common courtesy to pull over when possible...
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I always pull over if a working truck or just about any vehicle comes up behind me on a single lane road. I figure they're working and I'm not. Usually they give a thanks toot. On Oregon 101 they provide nice turnouts to make it easy.

I never do it on up hills.

I do it even if I am maintaining the speed limit.

Safe travels.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Yes, we do, especially going up hills. I always take the slow lane on hills, too.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #5

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
I spent the month of March in Texas, and it appears to me that the drivers there "expect" you to pull over. It was odd.....I'd be running down a two lane, and a car behind me would have ample opportunity to pass me ( no oncoming traffic at all ) and yet they would just sit back there. I'd move over....they would pass me and give me a "thanks" wave or flash of their blinkers....and away they would go.

Here in Missouri, if you moved over, traffic behind you would probably think you were in the process of crashing....and would drop way back ! LOL.
Around here, normally, people will pass you in an assertive manner, using the on coming lane.

I was also a little surprised to note that most people in Texas did not drive really fast like I expected they would. I tow typically between 53 to 59 mph......and when other folks passed me, they would just slowly disappear into the distance. Most seemed to be running right at the posted limits.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:39 PM   #6

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I do and hopefully other Egg owners do also.
Living in summer destination are I can tell you the majority of RV owners don't.
Once school is out my one hour trip to Bakersfield, 42 miles, will turn into an hour and a half.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:42 PM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
I grew up in Michigan and I can't recall ever seeing this behavior. I can't recall my driver's ed teacher ever advocating such a move, in fact I think it might have gotten me flunked if I had done so.

In other parts of the country I see it fairly often. Regional differences, I guess.

I don't usually pull over. I don't think it's appropriate or safe to leave the highway proper and drive on the shoulder.
(edit): I definitely do move over if there's another lane; I have been assuming that this was a discussion about moving over to the shoulder, whether paved or not.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #8

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
I should add to my first note... we pull over when and where it's safe. If it's just a gravel shoulder...we wait.
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:51 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
States that have laws requiring slow drivers to pull over usually have places where you can get out of the traffic lane. If I can get over safely I'll do it.
I noticed the same thing Texas as was mentioned above. Once I figured it out I simply pull over a bit when it's safe to be passed.

As with many things you pull over or not when depending of safety.

Speaking pulling over, many states now have "move over" laws. When there's more than one lane going in the same direction when there's a vehicle on the side of the road with lights flashing you're required to slow down and move over a lane, if you can move over. If you can't move over because of traffic, etc. you're required to slow down.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:34 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Yea, I noticed that about Texas on my first trip through the state in 1996. I don't know if it is official, but drivers expect you to pull over at least half a lane off the pavement to let them pass, even if you are already doing over the limit.
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:46 PM   #11

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
It can be hard to see past an RV in order to pass so here in Mich. I tend to shift as far to the right as I can when I see it's clear for passing, most get the hint and jump on the chance. Out west or in hilly areas I keep an eye open for a place that is safe to pull to the side. Bearing in mind one soft shoulder can ruin your whole day.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #12

Trailer: 2007 Casita
In Colorado, your required to pull over when it's safe if you have 5 or more vehicles behind you. I pull over whenever I can (though I don't usually hold up to much traffic). It's makes me crazy when people hold up traffic because they don't have the power to get up that hill.

Or because they don't have proper tires during the winter weather! Really? Get off the road if you can't maintain your car properly!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #13

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
we do pull to the edge of the road, if able, to allow others to pass. but safety is our top priority. when a jerk with a hotfoot is behind us, and itching to pass even though it is obviously not safe to do so, then dennis is more likely to maintain his position. i'm talking about single lanes of traffic.....when travelling on double (or more) lanes, we keep to the right as often as possible.
my one pet peeve-----highways with the occasional exit on the LEFT. when drivers are unfamiliar with a road, plus pulling a trailer, this can be a killer. having to cut across multiple lanes is very dangerous..... we haven't seen it often and hope it stays that way!!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:29 PM   #14

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Growing up in Tx we couldnt figure why slow drivers in other parts of the country wouldnt pull over. We flashed our lights and e'thing. It was quite aggravating thinking they were just being inconsiderate. Never dawned on us it wasnt the custom everywhere. Tx regularly has shoulders as wide as the normal lane itself and paved/striped so it's very safe. The summer trip to Tx last year I commented too bad they didnt just turn that shoulder into a regular lane since it ran the entire length of the highway and was just as nice. Then you'd have a 4 lane instead of a 2 lane.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:42 PM   #15

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
my one pet peeve-----highways with the occasional exit on the LEFT. when drivers are unfamiliar with a road, plus pulling a trailer, this can be a killer. having to cut across multiple lanes is very dangerous.

You just hit a hot button issue with me. There used to be more but thankfully we're down to just 1 interchange in San Diego with 2 parts:
  • Westbound State Route 94 ramp to Southbound State Route 15
  • Eastbound State Route 94 ramp to Northbound State Route 15 connecting to Northbound Interstate 805

I will pull over on 2 lane highways (one lane in each direction) if there is a paved "turnout" lane provided. I don't pull over to an unpaved shoulder because there is usually a 4" to 6" drop off of the pavement in addition to a slope away from the road for drainage that can make me loose control of my rig.

The "move over or slow down" law was just enacted here in California.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:52 AM   #16

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
its normal for me to move over so folks can see when its safe to pass. but i don;t stop
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:51 AM   #17

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
There were 4 of us traveling through Canada/Alaska; all eggs. We were traveling with CB radios, when my brother in law was in the lead, and I suggested he pull over, he would say, he felt the last egg in our party should mover over first, and then the others should follow when, they could! I felt he being in the front with the information, about cars being backed up, he could start the mover over. We would move over, when a few cars got behind us. We also spaced out where cars could pass us one at a time easily. Traveling in a pack who should move over first, or does it matter, if it is done when needed?

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Strong View Post
There were 4 of us traveling through Canada/ We also spaced out where cars could pass us one at a time easily.

Traveling in a pack who should move over first, or does it matter, if it is done when needed?

Later Kenny

In my opinion the person in back should pull over. Because the person leading can't see what's behind all his/her fellow travelers. The person holding up the "back of the pack" know's how many cars are behind them.

Many times I end up getting behind someone who is holding up traffic but because I am towing my passing opportunity's are limited as far as getting around them, I will pull off to the side just to let the car's built up behind me, get around the slow poke. Then when they are clear, I will take my opportunity to do the same.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:03 PM   #19

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Here in BC most of the pull outs (with signs telling you to pull over if holding up traffic) are on hills.

I agree when traveling in a pack that party at the back should be the first to pull over. I think its probable a lot safer on a two lane road to pass one trailer at a time than a pack of them. Even when traveling on my own and stuck behind someone going slow and there is a line of cars behind me I will pull over to let at least a few of the folks behind me pass if for no other reasons than to let them see its not me holding them all up & folks behind can all stop tail gating me.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Even when traveling on my own and stuck behind someone going slow and there is a line of cars behind me I will pull over to let at least a few of the folks behind me pass if for no other reasons than to let them see its not me holding them all up & folks behind can all stop tail gating me.

Exactly!!!!!!!!!