Pumping Gas and Cell Phones - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-31-2003, 09:19 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Pumping Gas and Cell Phones

The Shell Oil Company recently issued a warning after three incidents in which mobile phones (cell phones) ignited fumes during fueling operations.

In the first case, the phone was placed on the car's trunk lid during fueling; it rang and the ensuing fire destroyed the car and the gasoline pump.

In the second, an individual suffered severe burns to their face when fumes ignited as they answered a call while refueling their car.

And in the third, an individual suffered burns to the thigh and groin as fumes ignited when the phone, which was in their pocket, rang while they were fueling their car.

You should know that:
Mobile Phones can ignite fuel or fumes.
Mobile phones that light up when switched on or when they ring release enough energy to provide a spark for ignition.
Mobile phones should not be used in filling stations, or when fueling generators, lawn mowers, boat, etc.
Mobile phones should not be used, or should be turned off, around other materials that generate flammable or explosive fumes or dust, i.e., solvents, chemicals, gases, grain dust, etc.

Another safety warning you should know about concerns static electricity. Below is an email from Pat Cabiling who works at Chevron Texaco's Richmond Refinery.

Four Rules for Safe Refueling

Turn off engine.
Don't smoke.
Don't use your cell phone - leave it inside the vehicle or turn it off.
Don't reenter your vehicle during fueling.

Bob Renkes of Petroleum Equipment Institute is working on a campaign to try and make people aware of fires as a result "static electricity" at gas pumps.

His company has researched 150 cases of these fires. His results were very surprising:

Out of 150 cases, almost all of them were women.
Almost all cases involved the person getting back in their vehicle while the nozzle was still pumping gas, when finished and they went back to pull the nozzle out the fire started, as a result of static.
Most had on rubber-soled shoes.
Most men never get back in their vehicle until completely finished. This is why they are seldom involved in these types of fires.
Don't ever use cell phones when pumping gas,
It is the vapors that come out of the gas that cause the fire, when connected with static charges.
There were 29 fires where the vehicle was reentered and the nozzle was touched during refueling from a variety of makes and models. Some resulting in extensive damage to the vehicle, to the station, and to the customer.
Seventeen fires that occurred before, during or immediately after the gas cap was removed and before fueling began.
NEVER get back into your vehicle while filling it with gas.

If you absolutely HAVE to get in your vehicle while the gas is pumping, make sure you get out, close the door TOUCHING THE METAL,before you ever pull the nozzle out. This way the static from your body will be discharged before you ever remove the nozzle.

As mentioned earlier, The Petroleum Equipment Institute, along with several other companies now, are really trying to make the public aware of this danger. You can find out more information by going to http://www.pei.org . Once here, click in the center of the screen where it says "Stop Static".

I ask you to please send this information to ALL your family and friends, especially those who have kids in the car with them while pumping gas. If this were to happen to them, they may not be able to get the children out in time.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 09:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Orginally posted by Benita

His company has researched 150 cases of these fires. His results were very surprising:

Out of 150 cases, almost all of them were women.

Almost all cases involved the person getting back in their vehicle while the nozzle was still pumping gas, when finished and they went back to pull the nozzle out the fire started, as a result of static.
I do this all the time.:red

Old 03-31-2003, 09:24 PM   #3

Hi Benita
Lots of good points made there.I worked in the mining industry and part of my job was to know gases and explosives.I myself know what can happen.
Thats a good safety post.Thanks.
:wave

Old 03-31-2003, 10:07 PM   #4

Urband Legend?

I don't know, Benita. This sounds like an urband legend to me. I went looking on the Internet and found this article and others like it about this issue.

"Could a cell phone battery create sparks and cause an explosion? Yes. Has it? No.

"A survey of several sources, including the American Petroleum Institute, Exxon/Mobil and Motorola, and the Petroleum Equipment Institute revealed no documented incident of a fire or explosion at a gas station caused by a cell phone. The story in circulation features a nameless driver in a nameless city (Indonesia, Australia or maybe Taiwan) who was purportedly involved in such an explosion while talking on a cell phone at a service station.

"Where could this rumor have started? In the past, some cell phone manuals contained a generic, just-in-case warning cautioning cell phone owners that the device has not been approved for use in potentially explosive atmospheres. A potentially explosive atmosphere? Fueling areas, boat decks, areas with air containing grain dust and any place you would be advised to turn off an engine. That covers substantial territory.

"In addition, stickers have popped up on some fuel pumps admonishing cell phone users not to talk and pump. Will they pull the plug on the petrol if you do gab and gas?

"Station owners are advised to ask folks (nicely) not to use cell phones at the pump as a precaution, says Exxon/ Mobil spokeswoman Jeanne Miller. The Cellular Communications and Internet Association concludes cellular phone use has not been proved a danger but kowtows to posted instructions on gas pumps and cellular phone manuals.

"But what about the law in Austin Love-Cars-and-Cells, Texas? Wayne Smith, fire safety inspections director for the Texas Department of Insurance, says state law regulates the storage and handling of combustibles. While smoking is prohibited at filling station dispensers, no mention is made of cell phone use. So no, it is not against the law.

"In addition, "automobiles, which have numerous potential ignition sources, pose a greater ignition hazard," concludes a Motorola statement.

"While at the pump, to call or not to call?

"Look, the average fill-up takes only two minutes. Distraction is not a good thing when fueling the car, whether the distraction is rummaging in pockets for that last piece of beef jerky or yelling at the kiddos or talking on the phone."

from: http://www.austin360.com/aas/life/greig/10...002/101302.html

Old 03-31-2003, 10:44 PM   #5

snopes

Many urban legends debunked at:

http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/gasvapor.php

Old 03-31-2003, 10:47 PM   #6

Nancy,

The email I excerpted this from had more citatations and contact info for people at Shell and PEI.

Too tired to resurrect it now. :zz

I'll check it out further in a day or two. I won't have computer access for the next few days. :wave

Old 03-31-2003, 11:09 PM   #7

Hi All
If we take the cell phone issue away from original post and look at the rest, I beleive there are some real good safety issues there.

Old 03-31-2003, 11:23 PM   #8

[quote]
>If we take the cell phone issue away from original post and look at the rest, I beleive there are some real good safety issues there

I agree.

Nancy

Old 04-01-2003, 07:31 AM   #9

thanks

Thanks Nancy and Mike for pointing out urban legends and myths propagated by the internet.

From my own experience I have yet to observe or report a service station fire ignited by a cell phone or any other two way radio device.

However I have experienced a static shock while reaching for a pump handle while wearing Rockport casual shoes with Vibram soles.

Old 05-19-2003, 03:11 PM   #10

Hoax Confirmed

Quote:
Orginally posted by Benita

Nancy,

The email I excerpted this from had more citatations and contact info for people at Shell and PEI.

Too tired to resurrect it now. :zz

I'll check it out further in a day or two. I won't have computer access for the next few days. :wave
Shell Oil in Denial: http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl-c...e-gas-fires.htm

Ditto for PEI: http://www.pei.org/static/index.htm

Old 05-19-2003, 06:53 PM   #11

Clarification

It's not the cell phone battery that is the problem, it's the phone itself. You have to remember that harmless looking cell phone is a radio transmitter. This thing is emitting waves in close to the microwave wavelength and some newer ones actually in the microwave region.

Remember those signs at construction sites saying turn off two way radios? Well, that cell phone is a two way radio. It can trigger all sorts of things if conditions are right. Like dynamite at construction sites and yes even start a static reaction near a gas pump.
For my money it's not worth testing out the theory, I've seen films of gas stations blowing up and I sure don't want to be there when it does. It can also screw up computer equipment that's not shielded very well, as in airplane. That's why they want you to turn them off in hospitals, that same static zap can set off pure oxygen.
By the way off means OFF. Just not talking doesn't change anything because that thing transmits all the time to keep in sync with the mother transmitter.

This is not just some nut ranting. Let's just say I work for a company that has something to do with radios and it has a Big M in its name.

That urban legend debunk site needs to do some more research.

Old 05-19-2003, 07:16 PM   #12

WTDY 1670am in Madison Wisconsin. One morning the talk show host (Sly) and the traffic reporter (Prebil) were laughing at the new sign at the gas station where they fill up the traffic car. The talk show host egged on the reporter to talk on the pnone while filling up and the gas station shut off the pump. This was on air.

The gas stations in my brothers town will shut you off if you get back in the car. Some gas stations will follow the rules, but not all.

Rich

Tags
propane