Purchasing a Canadian RV? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-15-2014, 01:06 PM   #1

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Purchasing a Canadian RV?

I am thinking about getting a used camper from Canada. Has any American purchased a used camper in Canada and gotten it back to the states? Would you mind sharing your experience with the forum so I can learn from you? I am also, looking at possibly using Youship.com for delivery.
Anyone have any good/bad experiences with this group?
Thanks for any help/suggestions!!!!!

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else! Yogi Berra
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:45 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Here is some info from the fiberglass-rv-4sale site:
Importing Travel Trailer to United States | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:31 PM   #3

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Look up "Canadian RV" in the Search dropdown on this site. Use the Google Search at the bottom of the dropdown. You will find several threads on the topic.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:07 PM   #4

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Used camper import

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut501 View Post
I am thinking about getting a used camper from Canada. Has any American purchased a used camper in Canada and gotten it back to the states? Would you mind sharing your experience with the forum so I can learn from you? I am also, looking at possibly using Youship.com for delivery.
Anyone have any good/bad experiences with this group?
Thanks for any help/suggestions!!!!!
Several years ago I did import a 1973 Boler. As long as the unit is 25 years or older no problem importing it to the US. If less than 25 years old it is more difficult to do.
chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:26 AM   #5

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTTRV View Post
Several years ago I did import a 1973 Boler. As long as the unit is 25 years or older no problem importing it to the US. If less than 25 years old it is more difficult to do.
chuck
Chuck,
If the camper is less than 25 years old, do you know what extra work it would take to get it into the U.S.?
Thanks for your help!

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else! Yogi Berra
Old 09-18-2014, 07:47 AM   #6

Did you visit the link in my earlier post (#2)? it pretty much lays out the requirements about the required DOT certification sticker.

Those without the sticker are really an individual case as to what is needed and how to get them certified.

BTW: The NEW BigFoot Company does not provide certification papers for earlier units.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:11 AM   #7

Trailer: 2007 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Check out the Escape Forum:
Selling private Canada to US - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Fran L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:29 AM   #8

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Canadian import

Quote:
Chuck,
If the camper is less than 25 years old, do you know what extra work it would take to get it into the U.S.?
Thanks for your help!
If it is younger than 25 years old. You will need to get it certified. You should call Escape Trailer Industries. They can tell you what would be required for import.
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:46 PM   #9

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
I have sold a newer trailer to folks in the States. As long as it has the DOT sticker or a letter from the manufacturer stating it meets DOT standards it is easy if you come and pick up.
As Chuck states if it doesn't have this you will have to get it certified. Also if you don't come and get It I believe you have to hire a broker to take over the border which is more complicated. Your best bet is to call the border crossing you will be using and ask them for up to date info.
Let us know how you make out.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:02 PM   #10

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
I have sold a newer trailer to folks in the States. As long as it has the DOT sticker or a letter from the manufacturer stating it meets DOT standards it is easy if you come and pick up.
As Chuck states if it doesn't have this you will have to get it certified. Also if you don't come and get It I believe you have to hire a broker to take over the border which is more complicated. Your best bet is to call the border crossing you will be using and ask them for up to date info.
Let us know how you make out.

Thank you for the information! Can you tell me the process of how to go about getting a DOT sticker in Canada, with out going to the manufacturer of the RV?
Thanks.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:32 PM   #11

Registry
What brand trailer are you planning to purchase? The Escape trailers have that certification sticker on them already. Others might also...if you reveal the brand perhaps current owners of that brand can provide some insight.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:02 PM   #12

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran L View Post
What brand trailer are you planning to purchase? The Escape trailers have that certification sticker on them already. Others might also...if you reveal the brand perhaps current owners of that brand can provide some insight.
Fran,
I have been looking at three different brands; Trillium, Boler and Bigfoot. They all appear to be good campers. I am still reading about them and still getting information about them. I have looked at the Escapes, but they are a little out of my budget at present. But, you never know when the right one will pop up for sale.
Do you have any thoughts?
Thanks,

Old 09-18-2014, 02:15 PM   #13

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Since classic Trilliums were last manufactured in 1981, they are all over 25 years old. The same is likely true for Bolers as well.

If Escapes are out of your budget, then most Recent Bigfoots will be too.

I don't think you have a problem.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:26 PM   #14

If you find something you like, ask the seller if the DOT sticker is still intact. They are usually on the left side towards the front.

I've yet to see a pic of one. Maybe one of our Canadian members can take a pic of one and post it and you can have a copy to forward to any sellers you may talk to.

Historically Canadian FGRV's for sale drop to next to none as soon as the snow flies, best be quick, or the season will be gone. I will be in southern BC and Alberta next month and, as always, I will keeping my eyes open for about a dozen early 17' BigFoots to bring back, all connected in one long train.

Do you survey the ads on fiberglass-RV-4sale.com?

Old 09-18-2014, 03:05 PM   #15

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
I think there is an issue with newer Bigfoots which were manufactured before the company shut down and then started up again. My understanding is they may not have the DOT sticker and the new company will not give a letter for them as they did not make them.
As David said with Trilliums,Bolers and older Bigfoots you will be fine.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 03:15 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Fran,
I have been looking at three different brands; Trillium, Boler and Bigfoot. They all appear to be good campers. I am still reading about them and still getting information about them. I have looked at the Escapes, but they are a little out of my budget at present. But, you never know when the right one will pop up for sale.
Do you have any thoughts?
Thanks,
Carl,
My only experience is with Scamps and Escapes. We sold our 19' Scamp and got our 5.0 Escape Classic (used). We liked our Scamp a lot but there were things we liked better in the Escape (height - husband is 6'2", no rivets, updated infrastructure, solar) We are very happy with our Escape but lots of folks are also very happy with their Scamps.
Keep your eyes open for used ones on fiberglassrv classifieds and the Escapeforum classifieds....you might get lucky!
Best wishes in your search!
Old 09-18-2014, 05:16 PM   #17

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
I think there is an issue with newer Bigfoots which were manufactured before the company shut down and then started up again. My understanding is they may not have the DOT sticker and the new company will not give a letter for them as they did not make them.
As David said with Trilliums,Bolers and older Bigfoots you will be fine.
The main reason the new Bigfoot ownerships can not issue a DOT Compliance Letter is due to fire that destroyed most of the paper work of the original company. So legally they are unable to write a compliance letter for a trailer they have no build info on.

Thats not to say that a Bigfoot newer than 25 years but built prior to the current company ownership would not pass an inspection to obtain a US DOT sticker if it does not in fact already have one, as the previous Bigfoot company also sold a large number of their trailers into the US and like Escape built them to be compliant on both sides of the border.

If its one of the newer Trilliums built in Calgary prior to the name change to Outback you should still be able to obtain a DOT Compliance Letter from Triliumtrailers.com in Calgary. But give them a call and confirm that.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:41 AM   #18

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I am guessing that the Bigfoot trailers that were built before the fire that are less then 25 years old are kinda rare. When was the fire?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:16 AM   #19

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I am guessing that the Bigfoot trailers that were built before the fire that are less then 25 years old are kinda rare. When was the fire?
Nope here are lots of Bigfoot trailers out there less than 25 years old that where built prior to the original company closing its doors late in 2008 due to market crash. The fire took place while original company was shut down in Nov of 2008 and reopened under new ownership (employees of the original company) in 2010 - the fire as I understand it was at the warehouse where all the paper work for the original company was being stored.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote