purchasing/carrying bicycles, what kind is best/carry inside camper? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-09-2006, 09:35 AM   #1

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe 1995
We want to purchase bicycles for exploring and fitness that are easy to ride. We have found some around the $300 range, crossroads/hybrid. Any other suggestions? Also does anyone carry their bikes in the back of a truck camper shell? I am worried about height clearance of the bikes going inside the camper because i want them upright on a bike rack.
Marla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 10:15 AM   #2

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
We want to purchase bicycles for exploring and fitness that are easy to ride. We have found some around the $300 range, crossroads/hybrid. Any other suggestions? Also does anyone carry their bikes in the back of a truck camper shell? I am worried about height clearance of the bikes going inside the camper because i want them upright on a bike rack.
Maria,
I couldn't believe my response back to you just totally vanished! Poof! Now I see what happened. It is on the Casita forum! Jokes on me! Now, please be advised I am not going to repeat my answer here. Guess you will just have to switch channels! lol!!
Donald Stahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 12:23 PM   #3

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Al V
I like my Trex cross over bike. I do not have a shell top but i do have racks over the bed for carrying my solar panel and kayak. The trex is just under 48 inches when set up for me.
If you use the quick take off handle bar it drops to 38 1/2. hope this was of some help
Al V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 12:47 PM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Downtube Bikes

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hstanding.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	5482
Attached Thumbnails
HFolded.jpg  
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 12:56 PM   #5

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Mike,
Cool post dude ! That is the exact same bike I ordered, a quality machine. You can see it in person this summer at Bullards Beach. Ahem, yes, you can look for free, but you can't have it !
Donald Stahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 01:01 PM   #6

Montague, DX Crossover

Name:   dxfold.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  28.3 KB
Old 11-09-2006, 01:14 PM   #7

My Solution - Standard Bikes

Bike rack over the propane tank. Easy load and out of the way.

Name:	Bike_Rack.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	5485
Attached Thumbnails
Bike_Rack2.jpg  
Old 11-09-2006, 01:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Mike,
Cool post dude ! That is the exact same bike I ordered, a quality machine. You can see it in person this summer at Bullards Beach. Ahem, yes, you can look for free, but you can't have it !
Hi Don,

Nice bikes!
Old 11-09-2006, 02:24 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
The Escape Trailer does a 'bike ready' receiver hitch on the back bumper of the camper - so it would accomodate an upright bike rack that fits into a receiver.
Maybe you could do something like that?

Name:	bike_20rack.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	5487
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 02:33 PM   #10

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I've gone with the folding bike route as well; I have a Bike Friday folder and my wife has a Giant Halfway. They're really convenient and easy to take along. The problem with bike racks on the rear of the trailer is that every pound of bike and rack on the back could unload as much as a pound of tongue weight (depending on the axle placement relative to the hitch and bumper). It is safe to say that it definately unloads some percentage of tongue weight.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 07:04 PM   #11

Trailer: 2003 Casita Liberty Deluxe
Swagman 3 bike carrier. Buy a longer ball mount and it works fine. We were worried about clearance, but have not had any problems in the windy mountain roads all the way through Colorado. It mounts directly on the ball mount and swings down (away from the truck) if you want access to your tailgate or camper shell. We just reach around it.
Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 08:02 PM   #12

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
[quote]The Escape Trailer does a 'bike ready' receiver hitch on the back bumper of the camper - so it would accomodate an upright bike rack that fits into a receiver.
Maybe you could do something like that?

Attachment 5487

Our 2002 Casita has a bike-ready receiver hitch on the back bumper, also. When we head down to the Keys, we're going to have bikes there. We have to buy another bike, and the bike rack. We're always jealous when we see other campers cruising about the campground on their bikes, so we're going to take care of that.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:06 PM   #13

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Mike, have you published instructions on how to make that bike rack?

The only problem with your bike rack is that I would have to take the camper along to ride my bike! Thinking about the folding variety, but my husband wouldn't want a pretend bike. Your kind of rack seems to be the right choice for us.

We have mounted his bike in the back of the mini van. Removed the middle seat and put a board on the rear seat with the fork hold down. It works but takes up space in the van. I'm looking at the Dahon CIAO P5 for myself. To me very pricy (around $590). Only a 5 speed but I'm not athletic anyway. I've a feeling it might fit a small person a bit better, need to find someone who sells Dahon. Currently I use my son's discarded bike, but I need something more girly.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:42 PM   #14

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Roger, Your wife doesn't happen to be 5'1" does she? Would like to know how that Giant Halfway adjusts for a short person. It weighs 3 pounds more, has a couple more gears than the one I am looking at but maybe it would be better. Also $100 less. Not sure if some of the folding bikes have handle bars that go down. I have this vision of me having my arms up above my shoulders! The Halfway appears to be adjustable.

Did you buy that in the midwest? Know of a place to see them?

Thanks, Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:14 AM   #15

Quote:
Mike, have you published instructions on how to make that bike rack?

The only problem with your bike rack is that I would have to take the camper along to ride my bike! Thinking about the folding variety, but my husband wouldn't want a pretend bike. Your kind of rack seems to be the right choice for us.

Nancy
My wife is 5’ 2”. We have [b]2002 Giant Sedona DS Bicycles (no longer made), cost about $350 each. Full suspension front and rear with gel seats and 24 speeds - 3 front gears, 8 back gears. Lori has a 15.5 and I have a 17. Very comfortable, easy ride.

Name:	SedonaDS.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	5489

You can see better detail of how I made the [b]bike rack here.

Old 11-10-2006, 07:50 AM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Some things to consider about carrying non-folding bikes outside. Road rash! Road dirt and grime is very hard on the mechanisms...derailers, brakes, cables, etc. Theft! If "they" can see it, you'd better secure it!

Carrying a bike inside solves those two issues, but creates a new one...you've got to remove the bike before you can use the trailer. Is that a problem?

Here's a couple of pictures I've had for a while that may give you some other ideas.

Name:	InsideBikeRake_1.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	5490

Attached Thumbnails
InsideBikeRake_2.jpg   InsideBikeRake_3.jpg  

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Roger, Your wife doesn't happen to be 5'1" does she? Would like to know how that Giant Halfway adjusts for a short person. It weighs 3 pounds more, has a couple more gears than the one I am looking at but maybe it would be better. Also $100 less. Not sure if some of the folding bikes have handle bars that go down. I have this vision of me having my arms up above my shoulders! The Halfway appears to be adjustable.

Did you buy that in the midwest? Know of a place to see them?

Thanks, Nancy

Nancy, I'm 6'5" tall and I used the Halfway before Laurie got it. She's 5'6" and there's still PLENTY of down-ward adjustment. She has also had a hip replacement, and it's easy for her to get over the top bar. Every local Giant bike dealer carries them, or can get you one.

Now regarding your hubby's desire to have a "real" bike, and a folder just won't do, let me turn you on to THIS folder from Bike Friday. I have an "original" triangle-style Bike Friday as well as a couple of "full size" bikes. I seldom ride anything BUT my Bike Friday any more. It's going to get a complete rebuild and component re-fit this winter. I recently bought mine from a professor in Minneapolis, and now understand Bike Friday owners' fierce brand loyalty. It's just a top-flite product. Sorta like fiberglass trailers! They range new from $698 and pretty much the sky's the limit, but there are lots of used ones out there too.

This "used" one's on my Christmas list, and it's EXACTLY my size, but at $2,290, I'm sure it'll end up under someone else's tree:

Pocket Llama WhoGnu full suspension Bike Friday mountain bike with Shimano Ulegra components

From the Bike Friday used bike site:

[quote]Pre-owned Bike Friday detail

2006 Pocket Llama #15455 (Who Gnu Ultegra/LX 27)

Frame model 2006 Pocket Llama
Notes Virtually new with front fork and seatpost suspension. Bike Friday pre-owned bicycles are available to customers in the lower 48 United States only. Each of our bikes is carefully checked over before shipment. If a problem is found with the existing components they will be replaced with comparable or better components.
Pre-owned price $2,290.00 (Closest new bike price: $2,710.00)
Color Cream soda blue
Overall condition Excellent
Paint condition Like new
Maximum rider's weight 220 lbs. (99kg) maximum
Frame size (crank center
to seat tube top) 62.0cm (24.41 inches)
Top tube length (effective) 60.0cm (23.62 inches)
Stem information fitted for buyer

Virtually new with front fork and seatpost suspension. Bike Friday pre-owned bicycles are available to customers in the lower 48 United States only. Each of our bikes is carefully checked over before shipment. If a problem is found with the existing components they will be replaced with comparable or better components.
Components Click here to view.
Warranty Bike Friday pre-owned bicycle limited lifetime warranty.

Name:	whognu.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	5493

Roger
Old 11-10-2006, 08:49 AM   #18

A couple of other considerations about folding bikes is that they can go with you in the car or pickup to your touring destinations, and stay safely locked inside if you decide you don't want to ride. Also, they aren't exposed to the elements during transport, and can be locked in the tow vehicle OR the trailer with you at night.

A good folding bike has every bit of the ride of a "full size" bike. Do a little research on-line. You'll find out some very interesting things about folders.

Roger
Old 11-11-2006, 05:40 PM   #19

Trailer: 86 Burro 17 ft Widebody
Here's my rack on the tongue of my Burro.

Name:	Burro_bike_rack_1.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	264.1 KB
ID:	5495
Rick F. D. is offline   Reply With Quote