Putting a new license plate on a Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-26-2009, 04:19 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
How come you all didn't warn me? I got my new license plates and went to put it on the Scamp...I have to say that has got to be the dumbest set up for a plate! I finally got it on (all the gooy stuff was old and rotted off, if it was meant to hold the nut in the back on), but I got rained on twice and was sweating profusely! They could have come up with a better way!

Any how, hope I didn't make it harder on myself than necessary, if there is an easier way, let me know, I want to put a new license plate frame on it, but if it is that difficult than forget it!
Monica M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:26 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Arrow

We have the same model/year a 2005 16' Scamp side dinette with bath/shower as you seem to have, but I can not say we have the same license plate set up as you described. No gooy stuff at all. If I remember correctly, I do not believe the holder off the left tail light had anything attached to it from the factory. But I could be wrong. Anyway, my plate holder is just a regular trailer set up, plastic bracket hooked onto the left tail light with holes/slots for the bolts to hold the license plate. I am assuming I furnished the bolts, but they may have had some from the factory, but I believe I found some for it after I bought the plates once we had it home. I put the bolts in from the back so the bolts and nuts stick out away from the fiberglass of the Scamp. I am guessing, whoever put the plates on before put the gooy stuff on the nuts to keep them from scratching the fiberglass. The they was not the factory is my guess.

There isn't much space between the plate holder and the trailer body for sure. But the bolts sticking out from it will make it easier to attach the license plate. Not sure what the gooy stuff is or where it may have come from. I am thinking not from the factory. If I am wrong about it not coming with a Scamp name plate attached, then the bolts may have been put on the way I am describing from the factory or I may have just turned them around. But no gooy stuff was on it then or now.
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:28 PM   #3

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
There isn't much space between the plate holder and the trailer body for sure.
THIS is what I am talking about. I have the bolts facing out with the nut behind the bracket. What a pain! There is only about 1/4 inch to work with between the plate holder and the trailer body...why do they do it like this? Thinking of having my nephew weld something to the bumper or something, heck I don't know, but it has to be easier??? Really don't plan on changing my plates that often, but still, it is a bad design in my opinion...
Monica M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:11 AM   #4

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Now Monica, with all that time you have on your hands you should relish the challenge presented by an ol license plate. You're not in CA anymore and you don't have to If it gets a lil sticky and starts to overwhelm just take a - ur a full-timer now.

It no longer matters whether it takes 5 minutes or three days to figure out how to get that license plate to stick to your just relax and have a or a or maybe some

Anyway, gud luck with the plate and if nothing else it gives you some good blog material. Maybe, someone could just weld the plate to ur bumper and if they state ever wants it back send em in the whole back-end.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:03 AM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
You already took care of your issue, for now, Monica. But for future reference (and anyone else who may be interested):

The little plastic tabs that once held our plate to the taillight broke off at mile 400 (or so) of our 9,600-mile maiden journey. When we got home (no questions asked by ANYONE about the missing plate...not even at the Canada border, or by the officer who pulled me over in Texas), I took an aluminum angle we had in the garage, cut it into two pieces at the bend, drilled a second hole of each of the newly "constructed" pieces. I unbolted the taillight assembly, slipped the hangers onto the bolts, slid on the taillight, then put the taillight assembly nuts back in place.

So far, so good.

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there." - The Bills
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:04 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Quote:
You already took care of your issue, for now, Monica. But for future reference (and anyone else who may be interested):

The little plastic tabs that once held our plate to the taillight broke off at mile 400 (or so) of our 9,600-mile maiden journey. When we got home (no questions asked by ANYONE about the missing plate...not even at the Canada border, or by the officer who pulled me over in Texas), I took an aluminum angle we had in the garage, cut it into two pieces at the bend, drilled a second hole of each of the newly "constructed" pieces. I unbolted the taillight assembly, slipped the hangers onto the bolts, slid on the taillight, then put the taillight assembly nuts back in place.

So far, so good.
I made a stainless steel template to fit behind the taillight...notched to avoid wires. The template extended below the taillight the same as the previous plastic plate holder. Works like a charm.....never rust.....never will break.
Jerry Cranford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:28 AM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

Quote:
There is only about 1/4 inch to work with between the plate holder and the trailer body...why do they do it like this?
My guess is that it would be difficult for some nefarious skulker to quickly steal your plate.

Tags
scamp