Quartzsite - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2020, 08:43 AM   #41

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
interesting point

Roger ever been to a campground and a bunch of people come in who are absolute messy campers. I have seen this multiple times one time I was in a campground and a family had placed all sorts of empty wine and booze bottles around on the ground.

I thought we were headed for a bad night but everything was calm as could be! They had what I would call a messy camping spot but when they left everything was picked up and they left the campsite ship shape.

I never understood what they did but we have people that live like this. I don't know why? Every seen a big house or small one for that matter where everyone seems to live on their front porch not their back one?

I guess there are some people who are messy campers sadly for their neighbors back home they have to deal with this!

Sort of a crazy lifestyle

bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
For what it is worth I have been camping for over 50 years. Have run across different shall we say standards that people apply to how they maintain or leave a campsite. From the leave nothing but footprints people to the good grief how did they get all that trash into the vehicle and still have room for camping gear?

Some tend to a messy camp, some consider bags of trash in one spot to be neat enough. Others take or dispose of their trash bags but leave all sorts of debris behind. Or a fire ring full of half burned trash or items that wouldn't burn.

Been that way for all the years I have camped. As kids were taught a clean camp doesn't attract pests. Which I think is true. So I try to keep everything cleaned up or put away. We were taught that leaving it better than you found it was the "right" thing to do.

As a kid we policed the campsite after all the gear was packed. I taught my kids to do the same. From when I was a kid, to when I had kids, to my kids being adults there has always been stuff to pick up that we didn't put there. I can recall more than once as a kid being sent bymy parents after some trash that was left laying around. I sent my kids after stuff, I'm sure the grandkids get the same.

There is considerably more people camping today than there was back then, in an attempt to provide recreational opportunities to the residents and to attract tourism a lot of effort has been made to make more areas available. And to improve access.

The bar to camping in terms of the ease with which one can go camping and have a reasonable level of comfort has dropped considerable in the last 1/2 century. Just look at the proliferation of 4 wheel drive and all wheel drive vehicles. Or the number of people in self contained RV's.

That increase in access is a two edged sword. The more people enjoy our open and wilderness spaces the more support maintaining them will have. On the other hand more folks will mean more stress on the environment and more "noobs" who may not know best practices. Plus the inevitable increase in just plain don't care people.

I will say telling someone they don't want to drain a gray water tank on the ground goes over much better when you explain how many pests that will draw. Flies and such are annoying, mice are destructive, and the critters that eat mice like snakes, coyotes and such can be a little hard to deal with in a campsite. Then if they must drain you loan them a shovel and explain how important it is to dig deep and put things back as they were and best avoided in the future. Most folks appreciate the information, the ones that don't? Well you already have a shovel to dig a hole so you are half way to having them dealt with.

We can set a good example, we can try to explain why it matters or better practices to people who may not know better. And yes we can clean up after the jerks to the extent we are able. As is so often the case in life we have a choice, light a candle or curse the darkness.

I hope to make at least one long trip through the west using BLM and National Forest dispersed camping. Yes I will take some extra garbage bags and nitrile gloves in case they are needed. I expect however that most campers will leave the area as good as they found it if not better. The few others are like people who don't use turn signals every time. You just deal with it and hope "karma".
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:18 AM   #42

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Weather was great, singing was great, Jon and Ron gave great info on photography and travel to the Baja, and my Taylor ham pork roll breakfast wasn't too bad either.
Attached Thumbnails
sing01.jpg   Jon01.jpg  

Ronmap1.jpg   TaylorA.jpg  

MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote