Quartzsite - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2020, 07:39 AM   #1

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Quartzsite

So sad! And it needs to be stopped....please take a moment to read this and act, if you feel so inclined. I read this in today's issue of RV Newsletter.

From the Facebook page Quartzsite Happenings with The Adventures of Finius the Skinniest.
A couple months back as I was driving to the claim, a coyote, running across a wash, caught my eye because of the large white garbage bag in his mouth. A little farther down the road I see this. It is within spitting distance from town in a ‘DAY USE ONLY’ area.

I took pictures, only because I knew they’d leave all that trash. Yesterday, I drove by and the trailer was gone…but the trash stayed. There are at least 15 campers and tents in this one ‘day use only area’ alone and one even has a deck attached. One thing they all have in common is there is trash all around them. There are absolutely no facilities whatsoever out here and each one looks like this.
THIS STARTED HERE LAST YEAR and has grown. I used to see a lady walking her dog every morning on this BLM road, but not anymore. It is now not so friendly.
BLM is definitely not the best stewards of our land. After enough people complain or someone gets hurt they’ll move them out, but all the trash will stay. I know the story the agencies use… too much land/roads to cover and not enough manpower; but, it’s awful funny I always see stuff like this and they don’t. Seems like there is always money for new trucks but not manual labor. This is a disgrace!
Places like this are so bad for nature and people. You can see Quartzsite in the background of this picture. With that being said, there are absolutely no facilities here and all that trash draws the wildlife here then to town – and the coyotes in town get shot and all because of this.
I’ve dealt with BLM and met some really good ones and ones not so much. Sadly, BLM has had to have driven past this; it’s been like this for over a year. The only power I have is through you, social media. If this gets shared enough BLM will have no choice but to do their job. I believe it’s BLM’s job to also clean up the trash that is left behind – they are stewards of our land. It is a health hazard and could be very dangerous for someone that’s not a professional as you have no idea what’s in the bags. And now there’s so much garbage that it looks like dump trucks will be needed. Please help me by sharing this. I think it’s the only way we can stop this.
Thank you so much, and the wildlife thanks you, too.
Readers, you can share this on your social media pages using one of the icons near the top of the page.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 08:01 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Hymer
California
Registry
Happy to say I’ve seen nothing like that at Dome Rock among the eggs. Fact is, I’ve seen people picking up random litter that wasn’t even theirs.

FG trailer folks are good people.
OCJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 08:02 AM   #3

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
https://www.rvtravel.com/quartzsite-ghetto931/ The comments are interesting and provide an update.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:24 AM   #4

Trailer: Hymer
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
https://www.rvtravel.com/quartzsite-ghetto931/ The comments are interesting and provide an update.
“... And yelling at the BLM bitterly and endlessly will result in only one thing: gates and chains shutting the area down to ALL users, while the Director implements a study for access fees, travel permits, and enforcement budgets. And publishes another Federal Register Notice shutting down all camping except in official, seasonal, registration and fee-based campgrounds.”
OCJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:27 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
This is the effect of being homeless. Cities struggle with homeless garbage, needles, feces, etc. on a daily basis. Tax payers are spending millions for the effect, but not on the cause.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:51 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quartzsite

What is the cause?

Mental illness, addiction, chronic health problems, unemployability, family dysfunction... all jjust symptoms, too, at a deeper level.

The root causes are not a subject for this forum, I think.

But since molded fiberglass folks are good and considerate users of public lands, perhaps coordinators of the Quartzsite rally might consider adding a service project to plans next year. Adopt one trashed spot on public land in the area and do a clean-up.

Sometimes when you can’t fix the world, you can at least make one small corner of it better.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 12:45 PM   #7

Registry
Agreed! Jon, you bring up a REALLY good idea. For me, who has not only never camped on BLM land, I've never been near any.

But I hope to. One day. And I would like to think that when that day comes, the opportunity will still exist to boondock on those lands. Only time will tell.

I don't believe that the responsibility lies with government agencies being forced to clean up after lazy, irresponsible folk. However, if those same folk think---and know---that they can dump their garbage without repercussions, they will continue to do so.

Each of us, as responsible campers, knows to leave no trace. There are jerks in all walks of lfe and there are jerk campers. This isn't news.

However, those jerks can spoil it for everyone else by actions such as those noted in the article.

When I do manage to get to Quartzsite for the FGRV rally one year, I intend to do some clean-up. I believe it is my small part in helping to keep it beautiful for years to come.
Old 02-07-2020, 01:01 PM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
trash

we just got back from being parked in the 14day area I never saw this.

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 09:27 AM   #9

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
I posted something similar to this in another FG forum and it was like it doesn't/can't happen at Quartzsite. Thanks for posting!

Just because "you" don't see it doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Enjoy,

Perry

From my phone at Kartchner Caverns.
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 09:43 AM   #10

Missouri
whiel in quartzite

I forgot we picked up some Indain Bread and was setting on the picnic table and all of a sudden a big commotion. A chineese couple had set their camper on fire.

we were amazed it didn't take down a bunch of those flimsy buildings. it took fire dept at least 10mins or more to get there. We later could see what was left and it wasn't much!

it wasn't pretty

bob
Old 02-08-2020, 09:45 AM   #11

Missouri
where we camped

Hate to disappoint you but we saw no trash to pick up while camped. everything perfect!

bob[

QUOTE=theresa p;767700]Agreed! Jon, you bring up a REALLY good idea. For me, who has not only never camped on BLM land, I've never been near any.

But I hope to. One day. And I would like to think that when that day comes, the opportunity will still exist to boondock on those lands. Only time will tell.

I don't believe that the responsibility lies with government agencies being forced to clean up after lazy, irresponsible folk. However, if those same folk think---and know---that they can dump their garbage without repercussions, they will continue to do so.

Each of us, as responsible campers, knows to leave no trace. There are jerks in all walks of lfe and there are jerk campers. This isn't news.

However, those jerks can spoil it for everyone else by actions such as those noted in the article.

When I do manage to get to Quartzsite for the FGRV rally one year, I intend to do some clean-up. I believe it is my small part in helping to keep it beautiful for years to come.[/QUOTE]
Old 02-08-2020, 06:05 PM   #12

Registry
Bob---contrary to what you may think, it does NOT disappoint me that there was no trash where you were camped.

Quite the opposite!! I am very happy to learn that your experience was a positive one.

But...keep in mind that BLM lands are vast and that your experience may not replicate that of others.

Happy camping!
Old 02-09-2020, 02:15 AM   #13

Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
Bob---contrary to what you may think, it does NOT disappoint me that there was no trash where you were camped.

Quite the opposite!! I am very happy to learn that your experience was a positive one.

But...keep in mind that BLM lands are vast and that your experience may not replicate that of others.

Happy camping!
Stupidity is not reserved for BLM lands. In Death Valley National Park (a Park, which is much more strictly controlled than BLM) recently, a truck was left parked because it had a flat tire and the folks went to town with the tire to get it fixed. Some ( your expletive here ) came by and shot it up. Remember too, no shooting is allowed in the park. Then some others came by and broke out all the glass. Now it is an abandoned hulk left for someone else to clean up, in the park. And someone lost their truck because they got a flat. The criminal and senseless destruction of someone else's property, the shooting in a park, the outrageous destructive behavior, really angers me, to put it mildly.

Years ago, in the same area, that would never happen. People left gallon jugs of water along the road in case someone broke down.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:43 AM   #14

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
take photos, record the gps location, mail the photos and info to the regional office that handles that particular area.

If you don't want to pick it up I understand. If you only want to post it on social media and do nothing but trash talk about the BLM then you have not actually done anything of real value towards getting the trash removed. You are just blowing hot air around.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 07:59 AM   #15

Missouri
terrible times

Raspy you are correct there are things done today that in our day would have never been done or considered. From the richest to the poorest everyone had respect except for a small percentage.

I guess the small percentage is now the norm for America. Sickens me to see this and what the future holds for mankind! I cant see how you can be extremely poor and still have a 300.00 cell phone?

bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Stupidity is not reserved for BLM lands. In Death Valley National Park (a Park, which is much more strictly controlled than BLM) recently, a truck was left parked because it had a flat tire and the folks went to town with the tire to get it fixed. Some ( your expletive here ) came by and shot it up. Remember too, no shooting is allowed in the park. Then some others came by and broke out all the glass. Now it is an abandoned hulk left for someone else to clean up, in the park. And someone lost their truck because they got a flat. The criminal and senseless destruction of someone else's property, the shooting in a park, the outrageous destructive behavior, really angers me, to put it mildly.

Years ago, in the same area, that would never happen. People left gallon jugs of water along the road in case someone broke down.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:33 AM   #16

Missouri
raspy

In our time at Quartzite we were amazed at the side by sides tooling out in the desert. I sort of got the idea they were way back in the desert and God only knows what goes on miles back in there!

I am hopeful though that trashing is not done back there. I don't have enough car to travel back in there we were stuck along the highway but I was impressed where we camped there was not 1 single piece of trash to be seen anywhere!

bob
Quote:

Old 02-09-2020, 09:26 AM   #17

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
The notion of low cost or free camping on public lands is a myth IMHO
It appears that all of us bear the cost for the benefit of the very few
As one governor stated “ It is not the responsibility of the government to provide free or low cost recreational opportunities for it’s citizens “
It doesn’t matter if the mess / damage is the result of the many or the few .
They are starting to close off entry roads ( Chains - Cables) to public land in our area and I for one welcome the change .
I was willing to bear the expense of a FG travel trailer and a suitable tow vehicle , why then should I expect someone else to cover the cost of my campsite.
Going ahead with the status quo and continuing to ignore the issues because it’s only the minority causing the problem is a recipe for disaster.
The BWCA in Northern Minnesota has rules for remote camping which is a model I support .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 10:20 AM   #18

Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Where did my response to Steve go?
Old 02-09-2020, 10:31 AM   #19

Missouri
raspy there was some talk somehow something got highjacked.

maybe everything moved
bob

Quote:
Where did my response to Steve go?
Old 02-09-2020, 10:35 AM   #20

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The notion of low cost or free camping on public lands is a myth IMHO.
It's "free" to the dirtbags that do the damage, the rest of us bear all the costs. I've seen so much senseless damage at NP and State Parks too. People act like someone else is going to pick up their litter for example. Its the "its all about me, me, me" that breeds this nonsense.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote