Quartzsite Big Tent Show – Dog friendly? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2020, 06:52 AM   #21

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
to john

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
They all went home, and there were not all that many of them. The "Big Tent" show is still mostly State Fair type stuff - pots & pans, mops, a million ways to ease pain, etc. There are enough RV related booths to make it still worthwhile, but it is far from an RV only show.

There are still two large solar suppliers in Quartzsite - Solar Bills & Discount Solar. I prefer Discount Solar.
I saw those in Quartzite. I heard their ads also on radio. I visited with some of the campers running solar. Its all sort of amazing to me most running microwaves with inverters running 110 off their batteries.

One gentleman spent his day aiming and reaiming his array of panels. I think its great for the tinkerer its just not for me. One man was running a small fridge and a microwave but he didn't have near enough battery!

I remember reading in my bussing days people wanting to put in a pile of batteries to be able to run a/c out in the desert a place when its hot its hot! Of course its impossible to do!

We stayed in the shade outside of course it wasn't 100 plus degrees but in my mind a small generator would work much better in the event of hot desert weather!

I guess the solar game isn't for everyone out boonedocking!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:07 AM   #22

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
I remember reading in my bussing days people wanting to put in a pile of batteries to be able to run a/c out in the desert a place when its hot its hot! Of course its impossible to do!

We stayed in the shade outside of course it wasn't 100 plus degrees but in my mind a small generator would work much better in the event of hot desert weather!

I guess the solar game isn't for everyone out boonedocking!

bob
I thought that was true too, until Jon. V posted a pic and information on his blog about a MoHo and trailer completely outfitted with solar and batteries.

I guess we now need to say it's impossible for all-molded-towable owners due to the size of the roof area on these small trailers. Not that it's impossible for others.

Here's Jon's info:
La Posa West LTVA, Quartzsite, AZ

"During my morning walk I met the guy with the 4000 watt trailer. Called Silent Power, it has 15 solar panels, and 20 kilowatts of batteries. The trailer is a bit larger than my Escape. He runs everything & anything in the Class A RV he pulls it with, using more than 2 KWs per night, and close to 5KW per day. An interesting rig that lets him stay anywhere, and run his 40' motorhome as if it is plugged into a 50 amp service.
I also took a photo of the 4000 watt trailer I mentioned in yesterday's journal. Note that he has a Chevy Volt parked next to the motorhome that is plugged into it."

and the pic
Attached Thumbnails
4000WattMoHo.jpg  
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:34 AM   #23

Name: John
Trailer: Hymer
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
“Note that he has a Chevy Volt parked next to the motorhome that is plugged into it.”
lol
OCJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:43 AM   #24

California
Registry
Topic for another thread, but I really like the idea of “deployable” panels which are still roof mounted. That might allow doubling or tripling the panel area. No small achievement with the limited usable roof area of many of our FG trailers.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:45 AM   #25

Missouri
I dont get it

Looking at this mans set-up I am sure he has a pile of money in his solar array! With his expensive rig I am sure he has an onboard generator my bus did. It had internal starter switch and it ran 15kw. More than enough for several campers. Something interesting after buying those huge 1 year batteries I went to the best car battery Walmart carried put them in the bus and used them for years. They came with a 5 year warranty and never failed to start the bus!

While in Quartzite I heard those 500k rigs running their generators they were far enough away it didn't matter. No doubt they were using their furnaces, running all their appliances and whatever imagineable!

We were in our 13f Scamp with a Wave 3 propane heater, a gas fridge, gas stove and nothing else. Even using a solar set-up wasn't needed but hats off to everyone that wants one.

The one comment I heard from the solar guys was I need more batteries this brings weight issues to the table good batteries are heavy!

As the picture proves anything is possible!

bob
Old 02-03-2020, 09:18 AM   #26

California
Registry
Though I’m sure I sound like a solar enthusiast of late, I guess I’m just attracted to the challenge of living without a generator. I wouldn’t want want to be near one running constantly. And I’m self conscious enough that running my own (and not being That Guy) would really limit my choices for where to park.

I like your LPG solutions. If our trailer had come with a three-way fridge I’d just as likely be geeking out about fanless heater upgrades and the peculiar intricacies of absorption refrigerators.

Bob, I’d love to meet you and check out your Scamp if you’re in Quartzsite this week.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:47 AM   #27

Missouri
meeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCJohn View Post
Though I’m sure I sound like a solar enthusiast of late, I guess I’m just attracted to the challenge of living without a generator. I wouldn’t want want to be near one running constantly. And I’m self conscious enough that running my own (and not being That Guy) would really limit my choices for where to park.

I like your LPG solutions. If our trailer had come with a three-way fridge I’d just as likely be geeking out about fanless heater upgrades and the peculiar intricacies of absorption refrigerators.

Bob, I’d love to meet you and check out your Scamp if you’re in Quartzsite this week.
john we just left Friday. I had no idea jon was near I think he was there last year. he is in Dome Rock we went by it I saw a picture of his rig he is a scamp a 16 I believe.

here is my take on camping KISS. I go to camp and relax some people cant keep from tinkering I am glad for them. But for me I just go for the enjoyment of camping..

Maybe next year

bob
Old 02-03-2020, 09:49 AM   #28

Missouri
another note

our Scamp is a 98 the p/o had taken out the range and I had no idea if the fridge worked or not but I lit it off and it worked.

we left with a partial 20lb cylinder and we used the propane a lot for heating water for our military baths and heat.

we got home we still have propane!

bob
Old 02-03-2020, 10:42 AM   #29

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
Looking at this mans set-up I am sure he has a pile of money in his solar array! With his expensive rig I am sure he has an onboard generator my bus did. It had internal starter switch and it ran 15kw. More than enough for several campers. Something interesting after buying those huge 1 year batteries I went to the best car battery Walmart carried put them in the bus and used them for years. They came with a 5 year warranty and never failed to start the bus!

While in Quartzite I heard those 500k rigs running their generators they were far enough away it didn't matter. No doubt they were using their furnaces, running all their appliances and whatever imagineable!

We were in our 13f Scamp with a Wave 3 propane heater, a gas fridge, gas stove and nothing else. Even using a solar set-up wasn't needed but hats off to everyone that wants one.

The one comment I heard from the solar guys was I need more batteries this brings weight issues to the table good batteries are heavy!

As the picture proves anything is possible!

bob
Actually, good batteries are light. I have a pair of 100 amp hour lithium batteries that weigh 31 pounds each.

As to solar for boon docking, a well designed system works for everything but air conditioning. I dry camp all winter - currently finishing up the second month at Quartzsite. While I carry a small (700/900) watt propane only generator, I only run it to exercise it.

At the Dome Rock Rally, there are a few rigs with generators, but most operate on solar alone. I'm a little overboard with 320 watts & the lithium batteries, but I like my creature comforts. I can microwave when I want, make a pot of drip coffee, and keep far too many electronics charged. No TV, but lots of cameras, computer, etc.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 04:12 PM   #30

Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
A tracking system, such as the one from HappyCamperSolar.com, which was shown at the Quartzsite show, can really improve the performance of a system laid flat on the roof. It also makes cleaning the panels much easier.

The improvement is about 250% over what the flat panels produce.

But no matter how much energy you produce, you will likely find a way to use it all and want more.
Old 02-03-2020, 05:40 PM   #31

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
A tracking system, such as the one from HappyCamperSolar.com, which was shown at the Quartzsite show, can really improve the performance of a system laid flat on the roof. It also makes cleaning the panels much easier.

The improvement is about 250% over what the flat panels produce.

But no matter how much energy you produce, you will likely find a way to use it all and want more.
I have no problem accepting their 250% increase. I designed the support arms for my tilting panels for the correct angle for Phoenix on December 21st, and during the end of December / start of January I had a 3X increase in output. Even now in February, I'm getting over 2X by using the same arms.

I saw the Happy Camper Solar system at the Big Tent. A neat idea, although I don't believe it would hold up to the 30 - 40 MPH winds here at Quartzsite. Still a lot easier than getting out my ladder to tilt the panels manually.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote