Query on trip planning software - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-23-2016, 04:51 AM   #1

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Query on trip planning software

Hi all,

For trip planning for the past 2 "winter seasons" ahem escape from Michigan... I have used the AAA on-line trip planner that appears to be based on Google Maps.

We also have RV Parky and AllStays on the Android tablet linked to our Verizon hot spot while on the road. That helps with last minute changes etc.

What I am looking for and have yet to find is a travel software suite that parses out distances per trip leg. I have replied to AAA with their request to how to improve their service. I am not holding my breath for a quick option from there.

What would be great is to enter Point A (home base where ever that is at the moment) and Point B final destination. Then set an estimated daily travel distance say 300 miles (+/- 6 hours of drive time or less) and have the program list places that are +/- 300 miles apart as nightly stopping points.

Currently I enter A to B in the AAA map then eyeball the distances and add intermediate stops. This requires a bit of fiddling to find stopping places with RV sites, Walmarts etc. along the route. The AAA maps does show campgrounds/RV parks so that does help a bit.

I realized this may not be straight forward as we returned from the SE US trip over the past winter. Many camp grounds in the central and north do not even open until mid April or early May.

My task now is to plan a trip to Portland, OR so we will be there by January 25 for DW to attend the January 27-29, 2017 Karen Pryor Clicker Expo, a premier professional dog training workshop.

I will need to plan our route by heading way south, then west, then north up the Pacific Coast Hwy. Clearly we can not cut cross country in Nov-Dec as roads will be frozen and all stopping places would be closed. To say nothing of having the Scamp winterized while passing through the sub-freezing zones.

Anyway off to start planning. The other option is much closervenue for the same workshop at Stamford, CT March 31-April 2, 2017. Me thinks for sure everything will be closed in the frozen NE, while Portland will likely have open sites.

Or We could forgo Scamping altogether and hotel it like that masses do... Eeeee what a horrible thought.

Besides our Scamp would be very very lonely being left behind.

Cheers,

Bat Dude
Old 04-24-2016, 11:50 AM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Here is the program I use from Rand. I can put in any spot and then add side trips or not. It gives me distances and drive times. I can print it out if I want or look down to street level. I like they way I can see the whole trip in one big picture.

Just my opinion.

Rand McNally Driving Directions and Maps
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 12:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
I use Delorme software. I am currently using the topo version but I used the streets version for years too. It does exactly what you want, although sometimes it is not intuitive.

When you mark your start and finish, it determines the best route. You have some options like scenic routing and avoiding tolls. You can use vias and stops to force a specific route.

When you enter the mileage or driving time per day, it will also calculate your fuel stops.

I do this on the PC, which I take on trips to update if needed during the trip. It is only available on the PC. They have an android app, but it is not applicable for this.

I then switch to Allstays on my tablet to find potential campgrounds. I mark selected ones as stops on the original map. I also add notes to identify the campground and dates with length of stay but these usually change during the trip because we like to stay flexible.

2004 Georgetown 326DS
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:43 AM   #4

Name: Rachel
Trailer: Scamp on order!
South Carolina
Have you tried Furkot? I've been using it to plan my trip to Backus. There's a bit of a learning curve but it can do a lot. And it's free.
Brindles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:52 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I generally make long trips that have no specific destination and no time schedule, so my method won't work for everyone.

During the time between trips I collect a file of locations & roads I'd like to see. These come from suggestions from fellow campers & campground hosts, forum postings, books (I often use the "Photographing the Southwest by Laurent Martres" series, for example).

I convert the locations to GPS coordinates, then drop them into Google Earth (or, if I have internet connectivity, Google Maps) to get an overview of where they are. (In other words, I end up with a bunch of waypoints for all the places I'l like to see).

Viewing the overall map gives me a good idea of a "path" to take for a trip. I set Google Maps (and my GPS) to avoid highways & tolls, eliminate the waypoints that are not near the path I choose, then let it plot a route. I either transfer the route to my GPS (usually with unacceptable results) or refer to the Google Map to put coordinates into the GPS for the daily drive.

I use either Allstays Camp & RV or The Ultimate Campground list (no commercial campgrounds) apps to add coordinates for each day's campground stop. None of this is set in stone - I rarely end up following the planned itinerary, but the preplanning helps me get to places I've found or had recommended to me.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote